gun cleaning?

fezman

I clean my guns every 100 rounds or so.

If they get wet.

If I am around a lot of grit or dusts.

If you keep your gun clean and don't use much oil you can break it down and clean it pretty fast.

I will clean it after about a box of steel shot, that stuff is dirty.

This is for my autos A-5 and franchi 612, I don't need to clean them that often but I enjoy it.

When I had a 1100 It would jam if it got dirty at all.

My WM870 I clean it twice a year or when if I gets it wet.

• 3 weeks later...

It depends, Semi-auto, Pump, O/U?

My Nova Pump gets Negelected more than it should and it is the gun I take out in EXTREAME weather. Freezing rain, sleet and snow. I clean it when it gets wet but other than that It just works. My SBE's on the other hand are cleaned after every outing if they are fired or not. My son has a Traditions ALS2100 Gas operated semi-auto and it has to be cleaned every 100 rounds or it starts to short cycle and it has to be well oiled or it will not not function at all. On all of my guns I lightly coat all metal parts and then wipe it so as to only leave a slight film.

the reason i asked is i constantly here about barrel leading and wad fouling and stuff like that. ive never had a problem with any of those things. ive shot thousands of cheep lead reloads thew my glock and evan when i do clean it it never seems to be all that dirty (i also carry it alot) evan my shot guns when i shoot skeet i put at least 100 rounds thew it at a time and it never seems to get all that dirty. my father is x army and every time he takes his guns out evan if he dosent fire them he cleans them and makes me clean myn if we go out together. i guess thats just training or bordom im not shure which

i'll clean my shotguns when ever they get dirty or about every other outting. i will also clean them after every target shoot.

my rifles i'll clean after every outting and sometimes 2-3 times a day. it will make a difference on a target the size of a prairie dog at 200-300yds.

nitro company(makers of rhino choke tubes and nitro ammo) say a clean bore makes a big difference in turkey patterns and to clean the bore after every shot. they say the harmonics created by the fouling effects the density of the pattern.

[ 01-08-2004, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: tj ]

Both shotguns and rifles of mine get surface cleaned after everytime out. Only takes a few seconds to spray 'em down and wipe off then (shotguns) run a lightly oiled swab down the bore. Cheap protection and insurance. On a trip shotguns get inspected every night then ripped down and brushed when i get home.

Rifles and slug guns get the same treatment but, the bore dosn't get touched until i get home. Sighted-in and left fowled before the trip then brushed when i get home... learned that the hard way.

After check sighting my back-up mossberg 485T 20ga bolt slug-gun I didn't even think about it and cleaned the bore before leaving for the cabin for rifle season. Early in the week I knocked the front sight off my rifle and confidently picked up my trusty back up.... well, the first shotable buck I'd seen was at a perfect 50yrds where i zeroed... I put the iron sights on his boiler and shot underneath him kicking up leaves. He didn't move. so I worked another shell up... shot... same place. Taking just a few steps forward he still stood there. At this point I figured to compensate for the difference and held above his shoulder... shot...and hit the tree behind him dead where I was aiming :mad: :confused: after I watched him trot off I sat there in complete shock until it hit me. DUH!

Those of us who were “married” to our guns in the military service and had their guns inspected daily, and their life saved by a gun that does not jam, will clean the gun just because it is a gun and it must be clean. I have several shotguns, and I KNOW they do not require cleaning, but I’ll clean them any time I take them out of the gun safe. “Cleaning the gun is half the fun”. It also provides for practice of braking down and reassembly of the gun. Not a bad idea.

• 3 months later...

I was trap shooting last week and it was raining all day. My Condor got soked. But yea i clean my gun after 100 shots. but i got a question, i have an O/U and i was wondering when i clean it, should i wipe off the oil so there is a little layer. or should i leave like a **** load of on. Because the internal part of the gun rite now is like soked with oil. im just wondering if that will effect the corrusive part of it or also the performance. This question might sound dumb but im just wondering.

Thanks

• 9 months later...
Originally posted by Firefly:

Those of us who were “married” to our guns in the military service and had their guns inspected daily, and their life saved by a gun that does not jam, will clean the gun just because it is a gun and it must be clean. I have several shotguns, and I KNOW they do not require cleaning, but I’ll clean them any time I take them out of the gun safe.

I'm with Firefly! If it comes out of the safe it gets cleaned. If I shoot 1 round through it, it gets cleaned. If I sit in a deer stand all morning and don't see $H!T, but the morning air is damp, and filled with dew; it at least gets reoiled and and wiped down with a silacone reel cloth.

• 2 weeks later...

One Pass.... Not even close.

I can't think of any cleaning situation where 1 pass is sufficient. That might get the lose unburnt powder out of the barrel but that's about it. The solvent needs to sit in there for a few minutes to soak into the fowling, and soften it. Then it requires some scrubbing with a bore brush, followed by patches.

Snakes are really meant for field cleaning. They are great for that 3 day hunting trip when you want something to run through it at the end of the day. Or between rounds when competition shooting. But at the end of the trip or match, it's time for a good scrubbing.

Also, I've always been skeptical of 1 step miracle products that claim to clean, prevent rust, and oil all at the same time.

Think about it... Oil traps dirt. If you cleaner is also laden with oil how do you get the old oil (which is holding all of the fowling) out of the action of the gun? It's like taking a bucket of dirty water and pouring a bucket of clean water into it. You don't get a bucket of clean water, you bet a bucket of not quite so dirty water, but I wouldn't drink it.

[ 03-16-2005, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Jon Ramsey ]

• 4 weeks later...

thats what I thought you meant, but I was thinking you meant something else because cleaning a shotgun with a regular air compressor just doesn't make any sense to me how that works thats so crazy. so then rather than wipe out the oil you blow it out or something?

and how did you know about the car?

All kidding aside I wouldn't use an air compressure to clean my guns. To remove dirt you need to remove the oil holding the dirt. This can only be done with the use of some sort of solvent. Thus the paint thinner it's a solvent, it's cheap, and it's not to harsh to reach in the can and grab the parts with your bare hands after swishing them around.