gun cleaning?

fezman

I see. for that operation i like to use hoppe's elite gun cleaner. If you use it right the oil will drip out with the fouling and you wont have to scrub anything.

Another thing that I found that is particularly intreaging is the outers bore foamer, you have to wait a long time for it to soak but it has surprisingly deep cleaning for a "quick clean miracle product" as long as you let all the foam bubbles pop all the fouling just comes right out.

Well for crying out loud clean outside in the open

and the foamer takes like 30 minutes of soaking wich does add up to the normal amount of time that you usually spend cleaning it. just wait for the all the foam to convert to liquid so you can see all the way through the bore again

Yes it is an aerosal product. and don't hold down the button two long becaue the bore fills extremely fast and it will start backfiring all over your new pants.

• 1 year later...

well i have a remmington 870 supermag pump i give ita surface clean every time but dont break it down and clean it as much i i should, we have a 410 mossberg that i just cleaned for the first time when i was younger i used it then passed it down to the middle brother and then the youngest one, so its been used and abused quiet a bit but to my knowlage has never jammed so i guess i kinda depends on the gun

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I am an avid duck hunter (but also shoot skeet and trap often), and I clean my guns after every outing. I am a definite advocate of cleaning after every use...some would say it is not necessary, but it WILL almost guarantee a long life for your weapon. Also, I may not break it down all the way everytime...sometimes I may just bore-snake the barrel and oil it up, unless it was a "rough" day!

Taught in Military to never use compressed air, why would you blow oil /cleaners on to your woodstock? or blow it into places ya cant clean without taking gun completly apart? Also taught to use lint free cotton cloth and a brush, course the gun we cleaned liked to be cleaned or it would not work, known as design defect!! made for good practise and never blowed dirt/chemicals into eyes. I suppose from what i have read that compressed air at 30 psi or lower is ok to use ? Found that on the briley website but not many other gun cleaning articles you will find perscribe compressed air! Briley also said to never leave choke tube tight in barell unless you are shootin it, they said to loosen when not shooting and to retighten prior to firing?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

if you leave too much oil inside the gun, it will cause swelling and your shells wont eject. You may even have to dig them out, where you risk sracthing the throat of your gun or worse. The inside of the receiver should also have a thin layer, if you are not using the dry spray lubes. Too much left behind in there will cause it to collect dirt, dust, AND if any humidity gets in there it will trap it and belive it or not you will see rust much faster.

Same thing on the outside of the gun and the inside of the barrel. Oil is a dust magnet. Leave only a thin layer.

• 2 years later...
Guest D.foece

For cleaning black powder it is best to use a solvent designed for it such as hoppes #9. I use Napier Gun Oil for my shotguns and it is good but not sure if it would suit black powder pistols.

Thought i would mention since i have been guilty of this is using Hoppe's #09 Solvent on rifles and shotgun bores/actions which are nickle or chrome platted. If the solvent gets under the platting your barrel will be toast! You can use it but i would suggest use it wisely in those type of applications

Edited by HOGWILD

ok here goes you don't use an air compressor for the fact the tank contains moisture and when used all you are doing is adding water to your weapon. I have been in law enforcement for over 20 yrs and a former marine the best and easist way to clean any weapon is carbartor cleaner and a good oil. all guns are different clocks need very little oil were as smith's need more. i clean mine often. the carb cleaner will cut through almost anything but will not hurt the plastic or wood parts. on plastic it gets a white film but a drop of oil brings it back to like new.