Deer Rifle

Adam Barkoskie

My Name Is Adam Barkoskie and I'am 13. I started hunting with a single shot .410, I got a single shot 12 gauge (New England Firearm) with my Christmas money. I was searching around the New England Firearms website and i found a program that you can buy a rifle barell that fits onto my single shot 12 gauge. It is a .410 that is modified to hold a Colt .45 bullet also. Is it a good idea to buy this additional Barell for $111.00 or to buy a whole new gun all together that would cost me an arm and a leg?

New England Firearms Homepage

[email protected]

Adam, Your topic is DEER rifle, so my suggestion would be dont mess with your shotgun and get a deer rifle. I will never buy another shotgun other than Benelli, but as far as rifles go plenty of good options. Some people may argue but out of the box a Remington model 700 is very hard to beat in .270 or 7MM. If that is out of your price range go to the gun shop and get a used remington or a marlin 30-30, I would not tell you that if you were in Montana or Wyoming but for florida a 30-30 would be just fine. As a hunter you can never have too many guns, so keep your 12ga. a 12ga. and get your self a good deer rifle that you can give your son someday.

Originally posted by surfscotter:

Adam, Your topic is DEER rifle, so my suggestion would be dont mess with your shotgun and get a deer rifle. I will never buy another shotgun other than Benelli, but as far as rifles go plenty of good options. Some people may argue but out of the box a Remington model 700 is very hard to beat in .270 or 7MM. If that is out of your price range go to the gun shop and get a used remington or a marlin 30-30, I would not tell you that if you were in Montana or Wyoming but for florida a 30-30 would be just fine. As a hunter you can never have too many guns, so keep your 12ga. a 12ga. and get your self a good deer rifle that you can give your son someday.

Thank you for your suggestion I'm gonna look for after the holidays.

*Adam [email protected]*

Adam, I can only speak for the marlin, but my grandfather gave me one when I was only 10. I carried it for four seasons in SC and bagged 4 deer with 4 shots, 1 per season. Then I upgraded to a remington .270 when I was 14 mainly because we drew tags for Wyoming pronghorn. The 30-30 is a great short to medium range deer rifle. I read a article by the great John Wooters along time ago calling the 30-30 the very best short range deer rifle. I can't argue with John.

308 is a nice round also. 30.30 is perfect for deer up to 100yd we routinely shoot a marlin 30.30 at 100yd with sub 2” groups. But remember what ever size rifle you get make sure you can afford to shoot it. I have a Winchester model 94 chambered in .32 Winchester special it’s a wonder full eastern mountain gun it will kill any thing around but it cost a fortune to shoot and I can only get one type of bullet for it unless I start to reload my own. Here in pa I usually hunt with my .357 revolver because we can only see 50yd or so and I shoot the .357 10x more than my rifle

all is great advice and when it all comes down to it.. and personal experiences and preferances make their case in the caliber races as well as shot situations. Something that everyone and their brother has an 'opinion' on... me included smile.gif

..but, the thing to note with the lever action (and I know I'll get heat on this) is that it's not the most reliable. The Remington 700 action is probably the most sought after action by custom builders because of its reliability and acuracy.. I don't own one myself since I have taken another route into the olden days of the original John Browning patents of the auto-loader that was sold to Remington in the form of the model-8.

In my own experience (as limited as it is) I favor a gun that was put into production in the late 1890's and discontinued in the 1920's. Yea, its laughable to most modern day caliber tech junkies but, in the wooded areas I hunt my Model-8 chambered in 35rem. would be nearly impossible to pry from my fingers.

Lets face it .. the more a person hunts and successfully bags game with a certain firearm the more it gains favor.

We could go around and around saying this or saying that about calibers, actions and guns. .. but, he truth of the matter is that Adam would be fine at 13yrs old with that NEF single shot in 45cal.

Adam if you're sure the caliber/bullet is useful in your hunting range .. I couldn't say anything bad about the idea of having one.. just be careful around the open hammer design and practice until you're confidence is high in all shooting positions.

and don't bipass the possibilities of a slug gun either..

Which ever route you take ..good luck.

[ 12-07-2004, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: birddog ]

• 4 weeks later...

Adam somthing you might want to look into is a browning lever action rifle in 7mm--08 would be a lot les recoil than a 270 or 7mag, its cheaper and easer to reload for,and the velosity is not far behind a 280rem.Im guessing you will never shoot over 200 yards.my pet hunting rifle is a coustom sako 2506 improved. with a 27inch lija barrel, I shot my antelope last year at no lie, 650 yards. But I do alot of off season long range shooting with this rifle,its a blast I love it.happy hunting! :D

[ 01-01-2005, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: The Boat Doc ]

Adam, Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I too have a 12ga Pardoner. It's been sitting unused for years. It was my first shotgun, but now I have 5 shotguns, and the Pardoner has been neglected for too long. Now I think it's time to breath some new life into the old girl. I'm thinking about sending it in and getting on of those .50cal Muzzel loader barrels put on it.

For those not familuar with New England Firearms, they make good quality single barrel breech loaders, with no bells or whistles. They are simplicty it's self. And unless you get a round with a bad primer, you'll never have to worry about hearing a click when you wanted to hear a bang.

[ 01-05-2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Jon Ramsey ]

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Adam Barkoskie:

My Name Is Adam Barkoskie and I'am 13. I started hunting with a single shot .410, I got a single shot 12 gauge (New England Firearm) with my Christmas money. I was searching around the New England Firearms website and i found a program that you can buy a rifle barell that fits onto my single shot 12 gauge. It is a .410 that is modified to hold a Colt .45 bullet also. Is it a good idea to buy this additional Barell for $111.00 or to buy a whole new gun all together that would cost me an arm and a leg?

[email protected]

Originally posted by yankeejim:

quote:
Originally posted by Adam Barkoskie:

[email protected]

Oops! Messed that up!

Hi Adam,

Hello from a fellow St Augustinian, although I left there about 34 years before you were born! Sorry to be so late in replying..I'm new on the board.

At around your age I started out with a Rem Mod 514 .22, then got me an old Iver Johnson "Long Tom" single shot 12 gauge (killed a lot of squirrels & marsh hens (most people don't know what those are). We hunted around Moultrie Creek, Dupont Center, Pellicer Creek, Tocoi & St Mark's Pond (north US 1). Can't say we were too successful on deer, but we sure had fun.

After finally ending up with a safe full of guns, I would advise you to get yourself a Savage bolt action in 7 mm/08 caliber. They're not as pretty as the more expensive guns, but they are accurate, functional & about the cheapest way to go. The caliber is very accurate & has low recoil. A bolt action forces you to be a little more careful with your first shot (never too soon to learn).

All the best and I hope you have as much fun in St John's county as I did (back then we only bought a $2 county license).

I traveled around the world so much that I lost my southern accent. A friend here slapped the "YankeeJim" moniker on me because he said I sounded like a Yankee. After 17 years back in Florida, I have most of the accent back.

Good luck & happy hunting!

YJ smile.gif smile.gif