Home defense + sporting gun

JermDO

I am looking to purchase a new shotgun for home defense and sporting. I am interested in the Nova pump tactical shotgun. Are barrel extensions available for this gun in order to shoot skeets? Should I just go with the longer barreled (24") Nova pump?

Exactly, my Alcione Field didn't know the difference between a duck and the burglar who was running from my 3" BB's.

No Lie, Broke in and I got a call, just happened I took my shotgun to work, because I was going hunting after work.

I didn't aim at him! Thats dangerous, but he didn't know that!

• 2 weeks later...

In a pinch any shotgun will due for home defense but given a choice, or in my case 12 choices, I'm not going to grab my Franchi 712 Raptor w/30" barrel when I hear something go bump in the night. I'm going to reach for either my Rem. 870 with an 18" barrel, or my Win. 1300 with a 22" barrel, 8 round extended Mag tube, and duel pistol grips. But like I said, in a pinch any shotgun will do.

After spending time around the Trap ranges and over hearing some people talk about home defense, any weapon will work for home defense. But more then likely a pistol or glock will be the common choice b/c its small and easier to shoot then a big 30inch barrel of a shotgun. But any gun will do in a dangerous situation.

Why is everyone so obseesed with 00 buckshot? honestly there are too many women in my house and they've srategicly placed ceramics everywhere and because of it I always have to consider what I might break if I miss

Thats why I use 3.5" magnum slugs for home protection; gotta love the shoulder snapping kick.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever you use, the best option is the gun you practice. I the dark and under stress conditions, things tend to work weird.

If you hear sounds outside your room do not turn lights of your room on. It will show your position.

I would rather recommend a hand gun and strong flashlight. Use the flashlight far from your body (open arm) and scan the site in parallel with the site of you handgun. I recommend avoiding cross hand position with the flashlight as it shows your position.

Tactical flashlights in shotguns will show your position as well.

Also, I would recommend a Glock 9mm with hollow point bullets as you may have 15 rounds if needed, a low weight reliable tool and a lot of damage capability. High speed calibers may not knock down the target and usually hold fewer rounds.

I have to interject here. 9mm? Do yourself a favor and get at least a .40 caliber. Glock is a good choice and you can get high cap mags for many calibers. I even have a magazine that holds 31 rounds of 40 cal. All of the LE in my area has switched from 9mm to .40 caliber. Many federal agencies are doing the same. .40 caliber is suprrior to 9mm. Another nasty round that's out there is .357 sig. Basically a bottle necked .40 caliber. 10 mm is fun but takes a while to get used to. 9 mm will work but there are better choices out there these days IMO.

Let me ask a question here.

What if one of these cannons sends a slug through an intruder, thru some sheetrock, and into another family member?

I'm not saying this is the case with you, but I sincerely believe that many clueless people buy home defense weaponry and ammo with a very low level of understanding of how easily their firepower can traverse from room to room; or even from house to house.

I'd sleep a lot better knowing that no one in my home was subject to wake up in a confused and startled condition and reach for a shotgun loaded with 00 buck or a hand cannon ready to send 200 grains of hypersonic lead on a millisecond tour of the property.

Live by yourself, and no closeby neighbors? No problem. Keep a howitzer by the bedside if it makes you sleep better.

In town, with a family? If you must have something to keep you warm at night, make a 12 guage loaded with birdshot.

[ 04-22-2005, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

I agree with your entire statement. It all depends where /who you live with as well as other factors. With out a doubt the shotgun is by far the best home protection firearm there is if you are comfortable and able to control it. I've dealt with women who live alone and they aren't comfortable with a shotgun. Once again there are many varibles involved. I just saw 9mm and got a little carried away. If your using a pistol for home protection and your not on a farm in the middle of nowhere I'd recommend Glaser rounds. Some people are skeptical but we've shot all kinds of "targets" with them and they will get the job done. However sheetrock would stop all or most of the energy of one. I'm probably saying stuff many of you are all ready aware of ...... I have to close with saying anyone that buys a firearm for home protection should without a doubt take a shooting class in home defense. tucker301 I've always enjoyed your posts, you'd be suprised at how many people I encounter that don't think about what you pointed out in your post.

Wait Wait Wait.

at least with a single bullet you can be sure that you will hit your target and nothing else.

Oh and by the way I'm almost positive that a approximatly .75 inch diameter peice of lead will NOT go through someone

but using buckshot is kind of risky. the stuff flies all over the place and you can't be sure if one of those pellets is going to disperse out of pattern and teepo something or someone.

but I am not particularly educated when it comes to buckshot patterns because I only started using it a year ago;

So if I am wrong feel free to tell me off.

I am also pretty sure that a howitzer is illeagal, and besides If you sleep next to one of those and someone does break in the person is screwed and so is about half of your house.

[ 04-23-2005, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: The_Gun_Guy ]

I still think that a regular 9mm (Glock or similar) is the best common problem solver, always using the right bullet.

You can use a 40 with a super mag, although it's not easy to find this mag. Many ranges will not allow you to shoot with this mag as well. So, have something you can practice with. The 40 is a good option also, although living in a place were drywall is a big component of the home build, it can end up harming someone not intended to.

If you need to shoot without exposing your body from a cover position, a handgun will be easier to handle than a shotgun. If you need your other hand supporting, the shotgun is not the best option.

If you shoot at somebody with high speed bullets not necessarily they will be knocked down, or will give you substantial advantage in a confrontation. Budget wise, it is more likely you will be more able to practice with a smaller caliber. Handguns can have small easy drawing safes, shotguns not really. If you have other people home, it is an important factor. If reloading is required, use something easy handling. Stress situation, guns jam, tunnel vision, big noise, recoil, low light. Use easy things. You are not wearing eye and ear protection; you are in your pajamas in the middle of the night, sleepy, likely to have accidents and do stupid things. Which is the most common outcome of this threats.

Of course that all this comments apply to common situations, and to common people. If you are super skilled on other stuff, you can use it. Civil defense is different from military and law enforcement tactics, my comments apply to the first.

Take a self defense course, it worth it. Psychologically prepared you can avoid a shoot out, handle better a confrontation, avoid having a murder case against you when you thought it was a self defense.

I have to agree with FN_FAL, there is nothing better than a 12 gauge, or more versatile. I recommend pumps; they tend to be more reliable. Are you worried about stopping power, or over penetration? Pick you shells accordingly. I keep a Remington 870 with a 22" barrel propped in the corner of my bedroom, and I keep it loaded (NO KIDS IN THE HOUSE!!!). I used a variety of rounds loaded in sequence as follows: #8, #4, T, 00, 00. (Remember to load backwards. First loaded is the last fired) If the situation were to get bad enough that I ever got to the 00-buck, over penetration is probably not my first concern. Yes, I do live in the sticks. I've shot shotguns all of my life and have never owned a handgun, so using a 12 gauge comes naturally to me, even in the middle of the night. But let’s not forget the intimidation factor. Many a crook have made a u-turn and exited without altercation, after hearing the unmistakable sound of a 12 gauge pump racking a round into the chamber. So load according to your needs and your particular situation, and pump-em loud. Maybe you won't even have to shoot anybody.

originally posted by Jon Ramsey:

Your wife sounds just like my mom.

As for me I just got a new semi-auto 12 gauge for my wife..... It was the best trade I ever made.

Seriously, my wife has all most as many shotguns as I do.

Alright If you mean what I think you mean "it's not fitt'n to be said" children could read that later! was that really necessary?

If that is not what you meant than I am sincerely sorry and pretend that the text isn't really there.