Re-Loading

ClayDuster

Hello my name is Brad and i'm only 15 years old. I have been shooting Trap ever since i've been able to lift that 20 gauge up. But i have tooken up Re-Loading simply b/c its cheaper in the long run. I am asking for some suggestions on what shells to re-load. I have been re-loading Winchester AA's but have been having problems with them ''kinking'' and coming out all screwd up. So recently i have been reloading Remington STS's and Club loads and they have been working fine. But what is your opinion on that? Also, i started loading wads w/ 4 fingers (or leaves whatever you call them) when i re-ordered the usuall 4 finger wads i recieved the 8 finger wads and wanted to know if anyone has found any difference. And finally i wanted to get some opinion on what choke's you all would recommend for Trap shooting and at what yards to use them. Lately i have been shooting a Mod. from about the 16 to 22 yard line, then switching out to a Full from 23 on back. What is your input on this? Thanks in advanced for your suggestions. ~BraD~

Brad,

There are many knowledgeable folks here, and I'm sure someone will give you some good information.

May I also suggest posting your questions to the forums over at shotgunworld.com. They have a reloading forum as well as several for skeet and trap shooting.

Dear Brad;

You may consider that the reloading machine you have may be faulty, but since it works with the remingons... it could be that the AA's arent made to reload, my personal expeirance is that winchester loads shouldn't be reloaded.

For close 16-22 yd skeet use a skeet cylinder or standard cylinder bore, It will be hard to find these unless you can find a hunting outlet or something that has a wide variety of chokes.

hope i could be of some service.

• 2 weeks later...

Brad,

I've been reloading for over 20 years and have never had trouble with the Winchester AA hull. Check your Crimp starter. Is it 6 or 8 and is the hull 6 or 8? Having a hull that is a 6 and a starter that an 8 will mess you up. What kind of press do you use?

I shoot mod and IC for everything at any range. A full choke will keep the pattern tight and not spread the shot. If you know the shot is going to be long it's better to use 71/2 shot rather than change chokes.

Have fun and be safe,

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a choke-aholic I have at least 5 or 6 chokes for every shotgun I own, and I use them all. When I shoot skeet, I only use IC or skeet. When I shoot trap I always use Full from any line. When shooting sporting clays or 5 stand. I take them all and have been known to change chokes at each station. It just depends on the shot.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by ClayDuster:

Hello my name is Brad and i'm only 15 years old. I have been shooting Trap ever since i've been able to lift that 20 gauge up. But i have tooken up Re-Loading simply b/c its cheaper in the long run. I am asking for some suggestions on what shells to re-load. I have been re-loading Winchester AA's but have been having problems with them ''kinking'' and coming out all screwd up. So recently i have been reloading Remington STS's and Club loads and they have been working fine. But what is your opinion on that? Also, i started loading wads w/ 4 fingers (or leaves whatever you call them) when i re-ordered the usuall 4 finger wads i recieved the 8 finger wads and wanted to know if anyone has found any difference. And finally i wanted to get some opinion on what choke's you all would recommend for Trap shooting and at what yards to use them. Lately i have been shooting a Mod. from about the 16 to 22 yard line, then switching out to a Full from 23 on back. What is your input on this? Thanks in advanced for your suggestions. ~BraD~

Glad to see someone your age getting into the shotgun sports.

I use to shoot trap all the time...#2 in state at 18yrs...and the only choke I ever shot was an improved modified. I would not go any lighter than a mod from about the 16-18/19 yd line. No lighter than IM from 19/20-22. And would recommend a full choke from there back. #8s are typically fine from 16yd to 20/21 yds and then would switch to 71/2s.

I always shot Reminton STS rounds...and still do for everything. What type of wads are you shooting and what type of reloader do you have? I can typically get about 10-12 reloads per STS hull.

If you want to see how much you are saving, go to the following web site and click on reloading calculator...then i think its advanced calculator.

www.trapshooters.com

Let me know how everything goes....

Brett