Favorite bird to shoot?

Liberty or death Jr.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Likwid,

What's with Wisconsin? I've always heard it's a sportsmens paradise. Not enough ducks and geese or is it a highly restricted season?

The season isn't really long enough, and the timing of it stinks, as deer season opens right before waterfowl does. I live about 2 minutes from Michigan, and I hunt there as well. So between the two of them, I get about 60 days total, with one state starting 1 week after the other. We have plenty of birds here, don't get me wrong, but when early goose opened it was around 50 degrees yet. Right now would be perfect with the weather (rain) and snow on the way.

I agree about the waterfowl season length; it should be a few weeks longer and especially for geese - lots of locals that just crap all over the parks and hang out in the refuge eating bags of corn. Most years its froze over weeks ago but lately you could easily extended both duck and goose; maybe its a warming trend.

I think Likwid and I are just a little jealous the southern hunters are still having fun, while we wait for the our whole world to freeze solid in a few more weeks.

Have to say Pintail if I had to pick one. But, with the limits being only 1 pintail per day....I will go with teal. A ball of teal coming in at mach 1 is a humbling shooting experience and each time gets my heart pumping.

Yes, I know teal won't make too many hunter's list....but I do enjoy hunting them very much.

Any cupped and committed duck or goose works for me

I'm with duckfan--I'm happy with any duck that commits. My personal favorite is a greenhead, but I will say that most of my more treasured/hilarious memories have been made on those early morning woodie flights. Pandemonium at its finest! They never seem to come in from any one direction...some close enough that a .410 would be plenty of gun. I've had several land close enough to touch, but that was way before shooting time.

Have to "slightly" disagree with all of you... there is nothing quite like the sound a turkey gobbleing at 8 yards makes. my all time favorite is the eastern wild turkey. a very close second is the greater canada goose

I agree on the turkey part.

'Tom' is king for me :)

I don't find toms that fun to shoot.

Then you are just not a turkey hunter, you are just a shooter.

Fall turkey hunting with a rifle is just a matter of marksmanship.

No big deal. Not everyone appreciates the hunt, some just want to kill.

Too bad you don't enjoy real turkey hunting :(

Spring toms are my passion :)

I was playing Trivial Pursuit the other day, and I learned that the Turkey was originally the National "bird" instead of the Americal Bald Eagle. I have a hard time imagining what life would be like if Turkeys were protected. My first guess is that there would be a few too many of them walking around.

Then you are just not a turkey hunter, you are just a shooter.

Fall turkey hunting with a rifle is just a matter of marksmanship.

No big deal. Not everyone appreciates the hunt, some just want to kill.

Too bad you don't enjoy real turkey hunting :(

Spring toms are my passion :)

Is that an insult? I just never find them hard to hunt. I use the 17 because I find it more challenging to put a 17 grain pill through a gobblers head then to shoot one in the head with a shotgun pattern the size of my chest, with a scope for some. I've only shot two, got them both on the same hunt, and that is when I found out that they aren't that fun, or hard, to hunt. I just stalked them to about 50 yards, sighted on the bigger tom and smoked him, I was allowed to take both in the fall, and since the smaller tom just kinda stayed there instead of running off, I shot him too. If I hunt them again, I'm going to use a bow and the turkey guillotine, that might be challenging and fun. I find flying birds more challenging and a heck of a lot funner to shoot. Deer are pretty fun, prairie dogs are really fun, turkey are okay but flying birds, especially ducks, are my passion.

Is that an insult? I just never find them hard to hunt. I use the 17 because I find it more challenging to put a 17 grain pill through a gobblers head then to shoot one in the head with a shotgun pattern the size of my chest, with a scope for some. I've only shot two, got them both on the same hunt, and that is when I found out that they aren't that fun, or hard, to hunt. I just stalked them to about 50 yards, sighted on the bigger tom and smoked him, I was allowed to take both in the fall, and since the smaller tom just kinda stayed there instead of running off, I shot him too. If I hunt them again, I'm going to use a bow and the turkey guillotine, that might be challenging and fun. I find flying birds more challenging and a heck of a lot funner to shoot. Deer are pretty fun, prairie dogs are really fun, turkey are okay but flying birds, especially ducks, are my passion.

Wow dude I think you are missing the point of turkey hunting. It's about scouting an area, setting up, and calling a bird inside 30 yards. I'm sorry, putting a "pill" in a gobblers head at 100 is not turkey hunting. It is ridiculous to say that a turkey hunting is easy. But hey we agree on the ducks part though

I said 50 yards, not 100. As I said, I think the bow hunting might be a challenge, so it might be fun. I don't think shooting a standing bird with a shotgun is fun or challenging. I'm sorry if your hunting is hard, but mine is not. I know where they hang around, so if I feel like shooting one, I just grab my gun, get as close as I can and I shoot one, or two. I don't see how calling them would do any good, or scouting. It would be like watching a crowd of deer in the middle of the field, then scouting the area that I already know they are there, then calling them even though they are coming to me anyway. That is why I don't find them fun or a challenge. Sorry but thats just me.

I've only shot two

There is the key.

Like I said, you are not a turkey hunter, you are a turkey shooter.

No insult, just the truth.

Take some Texas deer hunters for example:

Is shooting fenced in deer over a feeder sporting? I think it for lazy losers that don't know how to hunt. No joke or sarcasm. Just how hard is it to shoot a penned in deer that comes running when he hears the feeder go off?

If Texas has so many deer, why the need for high fences? It's to allow lazy bums the chance to pay $10,000 to shoot a genetically engineer deer that was created in a test tube.

A least turkeys can fly away from these losers.

Again, no insult, just the truth.

But that's just me...

mudhen - CA

I don't get it though, they aren't fenced in, just stupid. If I was passionate, I could set up a few decoys, use a call and get the to come to me, but they do anyway, so whats the point? Thats all I'm saying.

Hunt more. You will find out ;)

I've been chasing them for 30 years in 15 states.

They might just be stupid in Texas!!!

Ok, there I was kidding.

Join me in Hill County some May when it's 105F and 30 mph wind. We'll see how 'stupid' tough toms can be!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...