GG&G bolt handles flying off

SGTMAJ

I was at the range with my m-4 shooting rifled slugs for grouping size. after my third group of 3. I heard an unusual sound a saw my new GG&G bolt handle had flew out of the bolt. Took about 10 min but I found it. It looked OK so I replaced it in the bolt and fired 6 more groups of 3 with no further problems. Has anyone else ever encountered this problem? The bolt was placed in correctly to start And I was firing my 9th shot when it happened.

• 2 weeks later...

I put the GG&G charging handle on my M1014 and although I really like the larger handle after only about 200 rounds fired I have noticed a considerable amount of dings where the handle goes into the bolt. I'm not sure if the metal is soft or what? I'm gonna stick with the factory.

Here's the one that I use: http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/product_info.php?products_id=67&osCsid=1cabe30e787e7576996c97d9f665b424

Hundreds of rounds out of my M2 Tactical and it's never removed itself.

I used a DMW bolt handle for years on a 14" M1 that I carried on my old SWAT team. Can't even guesstimate how many rounds I had out of that gun. Never had the handle fly off that gun either.

I've never used the GG&G part.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to revive this old thread but I just installed the GG&G bolt handle and I'm having the opposite effect... For the life of me I can't get the bolt handle out of the bolt. I'm starting to think I'll need to send it to a gunsmith. Any suggestions? Oh, and it doesn't turn freely like Duggan had experience before, the company must have changed the specs but the design remains the same... Still no flat triangular cuts. It should turn freely but I'm sure it's overly tight in the bolt. I wonder if the situation will improve after I shoot the weapon a bit as I haven't had a chance to shoot it post-install. Any thoughts, advice?

Guest cleefurd

Do you recall its being difficult to insert??? If it did not have the 3 cuts to prevent free spinning, yet WON"T free spin, I suspect it may have been oversized and seized in the bolt. Unless you used a mallet to put it in then you probably only need to place a tooth-pick flat against the bolt carrier to serve as a fulcrum, and something akin to a pocket protector-sized flat head screwdriver to serve as a mini-prybar to pop the bolt-knob loose.

You may need to pre-bend an elbow into the screwdriver's shank so that it can have the dexterity to act like a prybar without impacting the receiver's ejection port window edges.

Edited by cleefurd

• 1 month later...
Sorry to revive this old thread but I just installed the GG&G bolt handle and I'm having the opposite effect... For the life of me I can't get the bolt handle out of the bolt. I'm starting to think I'll need to send it to a gunsmith. Any suggestions? Oh, and it doesn't turn freely like Duggan had experience before, the company must have changed the specs but the design remains the same... Still no flat triangular cuts. It should turn freely but I'm sure it's overly tight in the bolt. I wonder if the situation will improve after I shoot the weapon a bit as I haven't had a chance to shoot it post-install. Any thoughts, advice?

That's not good.

If it doesn't have the 3 cuts there is nothing to stop it from turning technically .. so like kip said, it's probably oversized and jammed in there now :(

I am glad that I read this I was about to order one. Anyone suggest one that does not have this problem?

The Progressive Machine & Tool one that I have is the best one, however they changed their name to "design concepts" and I don't think brownells has them in stock anymore, and I have no idea where else to get one ...

handles03t.jpg

The Progressive Machine & Tool one that I have is the best one, however they changed their name to "design concepts" and I don't think brownells has them in stock anymore, and I have no idea where else to get one ...

handles03t.jpg

Supposedly that bolt charger weighs .3oz

My roommate just took my stock bolt charger up to the university and is going to weigh it and see how much it weighs.

THe issue here is balancing strength and weight and size.

It needs to be large enough to grab

Weigh little enough not to stress/break under high-G accel/decel, and

Strong enough for it's weight.

Also, weight distribution probably comes into play as well. Hang more weight on the outer end, it stresses the middle/base more.