magazine loading problem

cootblaster

i just got my new SBE II for xmas and i am struggling to get shells into the magazine. there is an incredible amount of resistance. i am assuming that there are two possible problems: magazine spring or a carrier problem. the hull doesn't get any resistance but as soon as the brass starts to get closer to the magazine it takes an aggressive push to get the shell through which is why i am leaning towards the carrier. i have never heard of a problem like this so... anyone have any ideas?

merry christmas to all and thank you!

This is what you get for opening your presents too soon!

Make sure the gun is properly assembled and that the barrel is fully seated into the lower receiver.

Pull the bolt back over halfway and let it go. If you try to ease it in, it will not fully rotate nor lockup all the way.

This makes it nearly impossible to get the shells into the magazine, and the gun will not fire, although the trigger will release the hammer and make a very light dent on the primer.

tucker -

thanks for the reply!

i have taken the gun apart a few times and put it back together to see if that would correct the problem and it has not. also, i am able to fire the gun even though shells will not enter the magazine. hoping now that this is not a more serious issue... any other ideas?

happy holidays and thank you

as you slide the shell into the mag, the bottom of the carrier gives increasing resistance. when the shell enters the magazine, it is fine. as the shell gets farther into the magazine, it gets stuck. i cant really explain other than it feels like the shell is being pushed not INTO the magazine but against the top of the magazine tube. its like the angle of entry is off. the only time i get a shell into the gun is when i force the shell in and then i have to force the brass past the edge of the carrier then up to level the shell and then the shell slides in.

sorry if i confused you.. i wish i could post pictures but my camera is at home and i am at relatives house

There are three things that can affect the entry of the shell into the magazine, assuming the shell is not oversized.

1. As mentioned earlier, there is an ear or tab on one side of the carrier. As the carrier goes up, the tab slips into a slot on the bottom of the bolt. In some cases, the geometry can be off just enough that instead of the tab freely slipping into the slot, it hangs on one edge of the slot.

This prevents the carrier from going all the way up and the shell seems to be going at the wrong angle. It will get about halfway or better and then get really jammed.

Push the carrier upwards with your thumb, then while maintaining upward pressure, shift it from side to side.

If it's hanging, it should pop into place with the side to side movement.

2. Not having the bolt fully closed and rotated will prevent loading.

3. The shell catch may be hanging the shell. The shell catch (too lazy to look up the exact term) is the little catch that keeps the shell in the magazine until it is ready to cycle.

The manual shows the user releasing this catch by hand in order to manually unload the magazine, however most of us find this difficult and simply cycle the action, in conjunction with the magazine release on the trigger guard to unload the magazine.

When you cycle the bolt on the empty gun, does the carrier flip up and down?

Does the magazine release button on the trigger guard function properly?

If so, the parts are working as they should, and proper assembly can be assumed to a point.

sbecarrier.jpg

Also see my SBEII quick cleaning guide.

Tucker301,

I am amazed that an expensive shotgun like the Benelli SBE2 has so many problems, judging by the large number of them posted in the forums. My son had a similar magazine loading problem with his SBE2 when it was brand new, about a year ago. We didn't try to fix it but I think it has eased somewhat now. I have a 12ga Remington Model 1100 that I bought around 1958 and still use today. It has been through a lot of mucky situations but has NEVER failed to load or fire.

Tucker301,

I am amazed that an expensive shotgun like the Benelli SBE2 has so many problems, judging by the large number of them posted in the forums. My son had a similar magazine loading problem with his SBE2 when it was brand new, about a year ago. We didn't try to fix it but I think it has eased somewhat now. I have a 12ga Remington Model 1100 that I bought around 1958 and still use today. It has been through a lot of mucky situations but has NEVER failed to load or fire.

like buying a new car, sometimes you get a perfect one and sometimes you get a good one that just needs a little "tweaking". the problem would be if Benelli didnt take care of the problems....I have not seen a post here yet where somebody had a problem with their

Benelli that didnt get taken care of.