Nova Misfire

drugoose

Has anyone had problems with the Benelli Nova misfiring?

Mine always fires on the first shell, then intermittently will not fire the 2nd or 3rd shell. The trigger is locked and cannot be pulled. I have sent it into Benelli but it still happens..Talk about frustrating..All the work we do to get a crack at some birds and this happens. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I'm ready to dump this gun in the drink.

If they've had it twice and it's still doing the same thing, then it's very likely that the problem is with the nut behind the trigger.

Make sure you are fully cycling the gun - all the way back and all the way closed.

Test it by taking your time and making sure it is fully cycled.

If it fires this way, then you need to practice your technique, because you're short-stroking it.

This can be from trying to work it with heavy clothing on, or it can be from trying to cycle the gun too quickly and using a good technique.

If it still doesn't work, then there may be a problem with the sear releasing prematurely as the action is closed.

If that's the case, discontiune use immediately and contact Benelli CS again.

Be courteous, but firm about them fixing the problem.

Be thorough in your explanation, including the exact brand and type of shells you're using.

I have tried to be more slow and deliberate with my stroke. I am using 3 1/2" shells and the empty shell never jams, it flies out and the new shell loads up in the chamber just fine. I would think a short stroke would jam up the empty long shell.

I think something in the trigger mechanism is not fully re-cocked, but I'm no gunsmith just a goffy goose hunter.

Sounds like the second thing I listed.

You could take the trigger group out and test the sear engagement and release functions as it is cocked and fired.

Either it's cocking and hanging up in the trigger reset or it's missing the sear and letting the hammer go back forward.

Either is a very dangerous condition and the gun should not be used until it is checked again.

I'm still bothered that Benelli has checked it twice and yet the condition remains.

Did they send back any information on what they did when they worked on it?

Did they fix something or did they simply say it was tested and found to be working OK?

They only checked it once and stated they could not duplicate the problem. They cleaned it, which I do about once every 3 or 4 trips out unless it's wet or muddy, and sent it back. I will send it back to them and give'm one more chance. But as of right now, I have lost all confidence in the gun.

I will mention your suspicions when I send it in.

Thanks

• 2 years later...

Just purchased a Benelli Nova pump in October. First shot misfired on the first time I had it out. It misfired another 5 times or so - the pheasants were happy! Took it back to Gander Mt. - they said there was no problem with the gun. Second time out, misfired again. Third time out, 7 misfires - saved all the shells. It was obvious the firing pin was not striking the primer hard enough. Is still under warranty, but I have no confidence at all in this gun. Wish I had bought another Remington.

if you are having problems with the trigger locking back then that means you are cycling in the next round with the trigger still held back; i had this problem and i found that if you release the trigger while you are cycling in the next shell, that will fix it. i also took out the trigger group and completely dried it off and put a couple drops of oil on the spring and sear only. good luck and try pumping the gun without having the trigger held back. let go of the trigger each time you pump the gun.

I'm have the same type of problem. The 1st shell ALWAYS misfires (and by that time the ducks are already gone) I just bought the gun back on 12/26/08. Contact CS and they were NO help. I have noticed that there is some play in the bolt and i've been told on here that this is what most likely making the "click" noise. Very frustrating cause its cost me a lot of ducks and SOOOO MANY SHELLS!!!

I have tried to be more slow and deliberate with my stroke. I am using 3 1/2" shells and the empty shell never jams, it flies out and the new shell loads up in the chamber just fine. I would think a short stroke would jam up the empty long shell.

I think something in the trigger mechanism is not fully re-cocked, but I'm no gunsmith just a goffy goose hunter.

Nova's will eject the shell out even if you short stoke the gun. It sounds like your fully stoking the gun because the new round comes up from the mag. tube.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on my Benelli Nova problem. I returned the gun to Gander Mountain in early January. They sent it back to Benelli, as it is still under warranty (purchased in October, 2008 as a turkey gun). I saved SEVEN misfired shells from the last time I used it (which was the third time overall). The Gander gunsmith told me they have sent "a bunch" of Benelli's back and many have not been returned, some of which were sent back as early as November. He also said that it is really hard to get hold of Benelli to check on the status of returned guns.

So, here I sit without this shotgun, and Gander could give me no assurance that I would have any type of answer before my spring turkey hunt (starting 4/20/09).

If I do not have a turkey gun to replace this one shortly expect Gander to replace it or allow me to buy an upgrade. If they do not cooperate, it will be the last time I will patronize Gander Mountain, besides doing whatever I need to do legally to address this. Fortunately, I will not need to hire an attorney, since I am one.

Update on my Benelli Nova problem. I returned the gun to Gander Mountain in early January. They sent it back to Benelli, as it is still under warranty (purchased in October, 2008 as a turkey gun). I saved SEVEN misfired shells from the last time I used it (which was the third time overall). The Gander gunsmith told me they have sent "a bunch" of Benelli's back and many have not been returned, some of which were sent back as early as November. He also said that it is really hard to get hold of Benelli to check on the status of returned guns.

So, here I sit without this shotgun, and Gander could give me no assurance that I would have any type of answer before my spring turkey hunt (starting 4/20/09).

If I do not have a turkey gun to replace this one shortly expect Gander to replace it or allow me to buy an upgrade. If they do not cooperate, it will be the last time I will patronize Gander Mountain, besides doing whatever I need to do legally to address this. Fortunately, I will not need to hire an attorney, since I am one.

If they are not working on the gun, and they are sending it to Benelli, what can you do to them. Gander Mountain sells alot of stuff, They can't just let you trade up for for broken shotgun. It doesn't work like that, At least not very often.

Trust me, I've been in your shoes with a broken shotgun. I understand, I was pissed to. But my friend let me have one of his until mine came back. Then I went to buy a benelli, and everthing is good.

Good luck,

novaking

I would love to see you sue Gander Mountain for essentially doing you a favor.... Many places would have given you a phone number to the manufacturers customer service scribbled on a PostIt Note.... If you have a beef at all, it's with Benelli and I'm perplexed as to how or why you'd take legal action against a department store that did not manufacture the weapon and seems to be giving you decent customer service....Sounds pretty stupid if you ask me. We really have become a "sue thy neighbor" society...Sad.