M4 Still not cycling light loads?

Gerrya

My previous range session I shot some 00 buck and Winchester Super Target #8 about 65 rounds total, didnt like the #8. Went back to the range again today and I shot 75 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 00, no problems with that at all. After that I tried the #8 again and it was better but I was still getting some stove pipes and failure to feeds and sometimes the bolt would not lock back on the last round.

Most posters said they shot a few boxes and then it ate everything. Any suggestions?

Thanks

My previous range session I shot some 00 buck and Winchester Super Target #8 about 65 rounds total, didnt like the #8. Went back to the range again today and I shot 75 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 00, no problems with that at all. After that I tried the #8 again and it was better but I was still getting some stove pipes and failure to feeds and sometimes the bolt would not lock back on the last round.

Most posters said they shot a few boxes and then it ate everything. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I saw no where in owners manual where it specified what size load was the smallest that it would cycle? I have a SBEII and it will cycle every thing i have loaded in it to include 7/8 oz Light loads for skeet with out a problem! I would call Benelli and run it by them!!

I saw no where in owners manual where it specified what size load was the smallest that it would cycle? I have a SBEII and it will cycle every thing i have loaded in it to include 7/8 oz Light loads for skeet with out a problem! I would call Benelli and run it by them!!

I called Benelli this afternoon and they basically told me that the M4 will not be reliable with anything less than 3 Dram/1-1/8 load. They told me that when I shoot target to use the heavier loads. and basically its a combat shotgun and to shoot heavier loads. they said 200 rounds is a good number for break in.

did you break it down compleatly (bolt, receiver, f.pin, etc) clean and lube everything carefully?

probably the only thing im guilty of is that I did not break down the bolt. I cleaned all the outer surfaces of the bolt and where it rides on the reciever. I will take it all down this weekend and clean and lube it and try again.

probably the only thing im guilty of is that I did not break down the bolt. I cleaned all the outer surfaces of the bolt and where it rides on the reciever. I will take it all down this weekend and clean and lube it and try again.

This inertia design is one of the cleanist shooting gas designed shotguns and really see no reason under normal conditions to clean frequently. Under extreme conditions i could understand frequent cleaning but unless ya trash it why bother cleaning a clean gun? guess if ya just wanta protect your investment could not hurt! were you using 7/8 oz # 8"s? cause my SBEII spits them out repeatedly with no problems, also the buckshot had to be over 1 1/8 oz?

This inertia design is one of the cleanist shooting gas designed shotguns and really see no reason under normal conditions to clean frequently. Under extreme conditions i could understand frequent cleaning but unless ya trash it why bother cleaning a clean gun? guess if ya just wanta protect your investment could not hurt! were you using 7/8 oz # 8"s? cause my SBEII spits them out repeatedly with no problems, also the buckshot had to be over 1 1/8 oz?

Yes the buckshot was 1 1/8oz and so was the #8. I believe they are talking about 1 1/8 oz charge weight-dram equivalent which they told me is equivalent to 3 drams. It does not say that in the US directions but it states it in the US Marine M1014 Handbook.

It states in there "Minumum charge weight of at least 1 1/8 ounce dram equivalent"