Recoil Reduction

SBE2

Dad just got me a SBE2 Steady Grip for Christmas that is going to be my first turkey gun, but I here turkey guns kick like mules and I am 15 and only weigh 115 lbs. But I am determined to pattern this gun right. I say pattern because shooting at a game animal seems to make a guns recoil nonexistent. But like I said am small. I have heard that the Limb Saver is good.Any help will be appreciated.

The gun recoil is an example of the conservation of momentum. Before the shot, both the bullet and the gun are at rest so the total momentum is zero. After the shot the bullet is traveling in one direction and the gun in the opposite direction such that the total momentum remains zero. Let M be the mass of the gun and m be the mass of the bullet. Let v be the velocity of the bullet and V be the velocity of the gun. From the conservation of momentum we know that MV+mv=0. Subtracting mv from both sides of this equation gives us MV=-mv. Dividing by the mass of the gun (M) gives us V=-mv/M which is the equation you presented. So M must be the mass of the gun in your equation

I would also be concerned with learning how to shoot the gun. I have been talked out of buying a steadygrip by an avid turkey hunter. I was told that becuase of the configuration of the grip, it is harder to shoot on your strong hand side. (righthanded, right side) and you have to be perpared to be able to turn your body to that side and not just the gun. Something you may not want to have to do under the watch of a flock of sharp eyed turkeys.

Please tell me , this is not true, I would love to get one. They feel great in your hands.

Russ, out

[ 12-31-2005, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Russ F. ]

Well Russ I have never thought of that but It seems to me in my hands that the problem does not exist it seems to handle like a regular stocked gun. In fact down here in Mississippi I have heard of a fella using a Franchi 912 Steady Grip for duck hunting which requires quick gun handleing. I also have a friend who is a prostaffer for Knight and Hale who wants a Steady Grip for his SBE. I am just your average turkey hunter but when I held a Steady Grip on both a Benelli and a Franchi I to get one of then for my firsy real turkey gun... they do feel great in your hands!

I didn't read your first post close enough. Limbsaver DOES NOT make a pad for the steadygrip, no matter if it is a SBE 1 or 2. The recoil pad on mine is rock hard. You may want to have your dad pattern it for you with the magnum turkey loads. I only say this because it kicks like a mule and it is easy to start flinching. Definately practice with lighter loads to get used to it, and then throw in a 3 or 3 1/2 for hunting. You'll never know the difference in the field.

69beers dont think that I have not thought of trying to get my dad to pattern it, but he has always been a big guy. He weighs over 220 lbs. but gets the weight form lifting weights. How is this bad?... he always has tolled be "boy don't be a sissy do it". But I'll try to tolk me into pattern' it for me. And thanks for the help all.

The SBE II weighs only 7.3 lbs. out of the box, but you can add a maxium of 1lb. to it and it will still function. I added an 8oz. C&H fore-end cap type to the front and 8oz. of lead in the stock cavity. Seems to help mine. Also the pitch may be affecting how the recoil is being felt by you. Hope this helps.--GB

I have been trying to get my hands on a steadygrip for my SBEII. The confortech stock is ok , but I found that in near or sub-zero wheather, the rubber gets hard as a rock, and it's like not having rubber at all. Any Ideas on where to get just the stock? I've asked few Bennilli part retailors and no go.

Russ, out

Russ I have a Benelli catalog and in it has a section of stocks and fore-ends. It does not have it pictured but it has a picture of the SBE Steady Grip and under it has M1/Super Black Eagle Steady Grip and M2/Super Black Eagle II Steady Grip (specify model). There is also a phone and fax number, ask if you want it I'll be on again today. Hope this helps.