Any thoughts on Benelli Ultralight?

AndyUK

I received my new Supernova during the Christmas holiday and have been so impressed with it that I am now considering a Benelli auto.

I believe that the model in question is called the Ultralight in America and the Montefrelto Beccaccia in Europe - it's the one with the 24" barrel and short fore grip with two shot magazine.

Anyone here have any experience with this model? I'm principally interested because of the light weight and two shot capacity (maximum legally permitted here in the UK - without a lot of police hassle).

Kind regards to all

AndyUK

• 4 months later...

I recently purchased the Ultralight, all I can say it is a beautiful gun and very pleasant to carry. I do not recommend firing 3'' magnums, she kicks a little harder than a heavier gun. I will be using it for rabbits and partridge so for me it will not be a problem.

I find it pleasantly surprising that you can still own a semi auto shotgun over there still. Benelli semi's are the best for reliability and ease of cleaning and are d*mn nice to carry even in regular weights. If you are going to carry you gun way more than you are going to fire it a light weight gun is hard to beat. I like my 20 gauge Montefeltro for chuker & grouse & quail where I might walk for miles and even have to do some climbing in the case of the chukers. Broke a stock chasing those buggers one time. Also, like the 20 for pheasants with magnums, but it does kick. The lighter guns kick harder and some say they don't swing as well although I don't agree with this as a benelli has a wonderful balance for an autoloader. If your going to shoot a lot of clays you might want to go with a regular weight gun however- something to think about. Just curious, is that two shots in the magazine and one in the chamber, or two shots total in the gun? If the latter is corect an over/under with two selectable chokes is awful hard to beat. Plenty of competition shooters with autos though.

I have only recently had the pleasure to shoot my UL. I ran 3 boxes of the cheapo Wal Mart stuff through it without a hitch. Ran like a top. It is a wonderful gun. Points well as it came for me. I ran about 5 3" mag rounds through it to see how it felt :eek: , a bit snappy to say the least, but handled it well.

Also, it has a 2 round mag, but a 3rd can be in the tube, and a 4th in the space in the receiver (although I haven't been able to figure out how to do that yet, just read about it here).

Doc