Locking the bolt open?

RuttCrazed

Is there anyway to lock the bolt open on a M1 with shells in the magazine tube? I can do it when there are no shells in the tube, but not if there are any in it. It would be nice if I could eject the shell in the chamber and leave the bolt open to cross a fence or hand to a hunting partner.

Thanks,

Rut

+1 on the No.

The procedure for fence crossing would be to manually cycle the bolt, expeling the shell from the chamber. As long as the cartridge drop lever isn't pressed, another shell will not feed into the chamber.

When ready to re-insert the shell, simply pull the bolt back, drop the shell into the chamber and let the bolt go.

+1 on the No.

The procedure for fence crossing would be to manually cycle the bolt, expeling the shell from the chamber. As long as the cartridge drop lever isn't pressed, another shell will not feed into the chamber.

When ready to re-insert the shell, simply pull the bolt back, drop the shell into the chamber and let the bolt go.

That is what I had been doing, but I just wanted to give my hunting partners the "visual security" of knowing there wasn't a shell in the chamber.

My Urika 391 will do it, so I thought maybe I was missing something with the M1.

Thanks,

Rut

urika,,is that anything like whalaahhhhh???????

People usually don't yell that phrase while I'm shooting it, but maybe some day!

My dad has a Legacy and I just don't understand how a $1500 shotgun can't lock the bolt open with shells in the tube, but I guess it was made to shoot well, not hold the bolt open well.

Rut