SBEII Wearing Camo

Amdarcountyhunter

I purchased the SBEII Left handed Max-4 Camo shotgun 2 years ago, this is my second Benelli and overall like the product. I duck hunt and Turkey hunt with the gun. I also carry the gun in the Benelli soft case when traveling.

the Camo on the top of the receiver, and pretty much disappeared, and other parts of the gun have lots of "chips" where the camo has completely popped off showing the black metal. The Camo has also darkened a lot, compared to a brand new SBEII.

The local gun dealer told me that I have USED the gun a lot, and the wearing of camo is from excessive use, and nobody else has this issue. I probably hunt with the gun 30 days a year, but I would have expected the camo to wear off after 10 years and not 2 years. thoughts?

The darkening could indicate exposure to solvents or oils.

Also, DEET, found in insect repellents can kill camo film in a hurry, but it usually makes it bleached out or faded looking.

By nature, these coatings are thin and not as durable as paints, bluing, Duracoat, and other firearms finishes.

If it really bothers you, discuss it with Benelli CS on the phone. They will more than likely want to see it first hand.

If they determine that there has been a manufacturing defect, you could be in luck.

If they determine that it's normal wear and use/abuse, then go to plan B.

Plan B:

http://duracoatinc.com/?uid=16588&page=3720

http://www.camoent.com/index.htm

Thanks for the feedback, great advice. I would hate to have the gun re-camoed after this season...I droppped a note to Benelli via the site, and explanied my camo issue and butt stock issue (Falling off/out) in the field.

I understand normal wear and tear on the campo, please the wear seems so advanced for a gun that has 2 seasons of hunting. The retailer is absolutly no help, they claim to have spoken with the local Northern CA Benelli rep, and the both agree that it's noraml wear....Whatever....

I had same problem with butt falling off and it is only week and half old ...i didnt notice it till i was a mile into the swamp with the poke boat... talk about being pissed , i thought i lost it in teh water.. luckily was in the truck when i got back , talk about freaked out and cussing.. 1500 bucks and that happens? Now I have to worrie about the camo wearing off? Making me think i should have got a Browning .. let us know what comes of it all .. and what did you do about the butt problem? im wondering if i should glue that sucker on.

Making me think i should have got a Browning ..

Yeah, cuz I'm sure that Brownings camo covering is better than anyone elses. Oh yeah, one other thing that might interest you about a Browning Silver Hunter:

Sometimes the grass is not always greener folks...

The bolt handle just snapped while shooting. It appears to me to be made from chocolate covered in tinfoil. I had to cycle the gun the rest of the day with my car keys.

I hear this is a very common problem with the new Winchester SX3 and Silver Hunter.

Browning CS was great. They offered to sell me new bolt handles and they even offered to let me pay the freight.

I like how the gun patterns, but it truly is made of pot metal and plastic.

I wouldn't even bother with a Browning if Benelli could bring the SBE II down to 50/50...

mudhen - CA

and what did you do about the butt problem? im wondering if i should glue that sucker on.

I would call (not write or email) Benelli and let them take care of it. The stories we've seen here about Benellis Customer Service have been extremely promising. As for the camo problem, yeah, it sucks that it can ding/chip and wear off like it does but that's true of any manufacturer that produces guns with camo. That's the main reason I went with good ol'black.

I purchased the Max-4 Camo gun based upon many happy years of hunting with my all Black SBE Left handed. I still own the gun, and use it as a backup gun or a visitor gun on my ranch. I justified the purchase of the SBEII Max-4 becasue it solves the camo issue when turkey hunting, plus all the new features added to the SBEII that my old SBE missed. Just in shock over the camo wearing out so fast....on rub areas. I believe most of the rubbing is NOT from the field but from riding around in my Benelli soft case. How would the camo wear off on the top of the receiver?

Thanks for your help I will call them on Monday, but for the record, I have sent them notes, and they went cold when the camo issue came up via email, see below. I sent them this note prior to me using the gun for the second duck season, now I have 2 season on the gun. After sending this note, I went out and took some digital pictures of the camo issue, and I noticed how dry the camo has become, you can flake it using your thumb nail....

10/11/06

Dear Customer Service -

Please see my note below, I am very concerned regarding my camo fading off the gun.

Thoughts.

Thanks

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2006 11:50 AM

To: xxxxxxxxxxx; 'Customer3'

Subject: RE: BenelliUSA.com Comment

I am sorry it has taken me this long to provided you the requested information.

The Serial number on my left handed gun is:

xxxxxxx

Also, my camo seem to be wearing off all edges of the receiver in a progressive manner. This is my third Benelli product, and I purchased this gun to just Turkey hunt and Duck hunt with, so it's not being used as a full time gun.

The camo seems to be coming off faster than I expected, as the gun is only one year old. Can you help me figure out this issue? Did you guys have issues with the camo coming off the gun?

I purchased the gun at Canyon Sports in Martinez. This is your local authorized dealer.

I had same problem with butt falling off and it is only week and half old ...i didnt notice it till i was a mile into the swamp with the poke boat... talk about being pissed , i thought i lost it in teh water.. luckily was in the truck when i got back , talk about freaked out and cussing.. 1500 bucks and that happens? Now I have to worrie about the camo wearing off? Making me think i should have got a Browning .. let us know what comes of it all .. and what did you do about the butt problem? im wondering if i should glue that sucker on.

It might have been one of the undersized pads - Benelli CS has been replacing these. Also, you needed to clean off the factory lube to keep the pad from slipping off.

In addition to my already copied post, my brand new Browning Silver Hunter has lost 50% of it's Dura Touch and has many, many, wear spots in the camo.

All this after 25 hunts.

Sheesh - my $1200 was well spent, no?

Yep, go buy a Browning ;)

10 years and not 2 years. thoughts?

I guarantee you that no manufacturer or installer of plastic film camo offers a 10 year warranty.

My SBE II camo is much lighter after two years with minimal wear.

Maybe you got a bad film? Maybe it is just normal wear and tear?

Did Ken view the camo and tell you it was normal? If so, I'd back Ken as he has always been straight with me.