Question-new Benelli owner

fishinhunt31

Took me a long time to get to this point....got a tip on a SBE selling for around 500 and I couldn't believe it when the wife said go for it....oh yeah, I wrote that one down to read later :) I was told that the gun didn't cycle reloads and that it shot high. I wasn't worried because I've heard on this forum how good CS is at Benelli. The recoil spring hadn't ever been cleaned, and this gun was supposedly purchased back in '97 or '98. The gun now cycles like a dream. I put some heat to the recoil tube near the base and was able to back the plug out and clean the tube and the spring, and lightly reoil.

Now here is the question....the stock retaining bolt, that screws into the tube, was cut short so the previous owner could get a socket on it...apparently didn't have a 6" extention. How long is this bolt supposed to be? I was able to start a 8 mm nut in order to back the threads back off, but is that bolt a fine or course threaded 8mm? Anyone know? CS was not able to help.

Now all I have to do is find out if shim A will solve the low POI and I'm good to go. Curious, when did they go with the raised rib, this barrel is almost like a Monte and don't know if it's the gun or me.

Sorry for the long post...lots of great info here, thanks for the shortening the homework!

Took me a long time to get to this point....got a tip on a SBE selling for around 500 and I couldn't believe it when the wife said go for it....oh yeah, I wrote that one down to read later :) I was told that the gun didn't cycle reloads and that it shot high. I wasn't worried because I've heard on this forum how good CS is at Benelli. The recoil spring hadn't ever been cleaned, and this gun was supposedly purchased back in '97 or '98. The gun now cycles like a dream. I put some heat to the recoil tube near the base and was able to back the plug out and clean the tube and the spring, and lightly reoil.

Now here is the question....the stock retaining bolt, that screws into the tube, was cut short so the previous owner could get a socket on it...apparently didn't have a 6" extention. How long is this bolt supposed to be? I was able to start a 8 mm nut in order to back the threads back off, but is that bolt a fine or course threaded 8mm? Anyone know? CS was not able to help.

Now all I have to do is find out if shim A will solve the low POI and I'm good to go. Curious, when did they go with the raised rib, this barrel is almost like a Monte and don't know if it's the gun or me.

Sorry for the long post...lots of great info here, thanks for the shortening the homework!

Tucker will be on shortly and I'm sure he will have the answer all typed out in detail for you before he has his first cup of coffee this morning :D

Why would ya wanta change it or will the nut ya took off no go back on? Seems i would just take to a smith and let him fix it the correct way if you have no tools to size the threads or info, the SBEII uses a 13mm socket for the nut but not sure of internal thread size! on a SBE but would think they would be close! I have more concerns on buying used shotguns due to the fact you can not tell what the other fellar has messed up since he has owned it, there are some felars out their that have a way of putting square pegs in round holes and my take on that issue is better off someone else buying a used shotgun than me!! I can do that task better than most!! Smith will not charge ya much if he has to rethread the tube and install new nut!! So i guess you have a 6" extension? Good luck and congrats on the find sounds like a good price as i have sen a few used ones that were going fora tad biot higher price! and they were in poor condition!!

You need a stock retaining bolt, correct?

Click here

Not what you need?

Click here

I honestly don't know what the thread size and pitch are.

The diameter will be M8.

I could take it to a shop and get it measured, but I'm really not motivated to do that.

Do it yourself or better yet, call Benelli and ask them.

Easiest fix is to buy the parts you want from Brownell's via the above links.

Best of luck.

I was able to clean the spring and tube, but I'm the type that needs to get into every crack to make sure that it's clean. I was also told that a smith would be able to get the bolt off for about $20, but after finding out what it would take to get it off, was able to do so for the cost of an overpriced $.25 8 mm nut. I cleaned the tube, spring and plunger, oiled all parts, antisiezed the threads and replaced. I'm also the type that needs to know the original length and threads of the bolt, don't know why, it just buggs me not knowing. So, on to the next and final question.... Even after I got the gun to accept the reloaded target loads, I had a few 1 1/8 #8s not cycle. I have not tried a 1 oz load, but would like to. Knowing that I can take out the recoil spring whenever I need to to clean, I no longer think that's the problem, but a little more research is needed, who knows, maybe the spring needs to be replaced, but it didn't seem so. Looking at Brownells, the heavy recoil spring works for the SBE and M1. Anyone know if the lighter spring from the M1 will work in the SBE, even though Brownells doesn't list it as such? That was my original goal, to shoot lighter target loads, which I've been seeing is touch and go. I'm not worried about having to switch springs, because now it's not difficult, and when I'm target shooting, I'm a bit compulsive and shoot 200-300 at a session (I've got over 500 rounds in since I bought it back on the 6th). Anyone know if the lighter M1 recoil spring will work on the SBE?