??? on easyhit sights

doppler

hi guys,

first time poster and I have quite a bit of questions so please bear with me.

I purchased an SBEII (adv timber) about 6 months ago and I have been wanting to try the easyhit sight, but don't know which one to get. I mainly use my gun for upland, turkey, waterfowl, and on occasion skeet and trap (in that order too).

Questions:

1. they offer 3 sights, which one?

2. Red or green fiber optics? does it matter?

3. What size diameter? I want to keep the same diameter that is on my gun now.

4. Do you remove the front bead? or leave it on and use it as a reference for installation. Is it easy to align correctly when installing?

5. Do you still use the middle bead and make a figure 8 with the front beads for aiming/shooting?

6. If I decide that it will not work for me and remove it, will it damage my camo?

I went to there sight, but I want to know first hand from actual users of this product.

Any help would be appreciated.

1. I have only used one size so I don't really have a point of reference--mine is the 3.0 red orange.

2. I think it's a personal preference.

3. As I said--mine is the 3.0 and I haven't used the smaller so I don't have a point of reference.

4. You remove the front bead... the easy hit was very easy to install--you basically line it up on the top rail and that's it.

5. My gun, a Beretta 686, doesn't have the center bead so I can't say for sure--but the premise of the easy hit is to eliminate any chance of not being having a proper mount--you can't see the glowing red dot if you don't have the gun mounted properly.

6. I haven't tried to remove it so I can't answer--actually I can't imagine EVER wanting to take it off--it's that good.

You should consider an easy hit sight if you're having roblems keeping your head down or keeping your eye centered over the rib (eye dominance issues).

Otherwise, the factory bead is fine.

Learn to shoot instinctively by pointing the shotgun with both eyes opened, paying little to no attention the the beads.

You'll shoot a lot better, and you'll be safer.

Tucker, do you think the easy hit would help anyone who doesn't know how to use a shim kit properly? When I get an auto loader, I don't know anything about gun fitting, I have always just picked up a gun and used it. If my eye doesn't line up with the barrel, I've always just shouldered the gun different and that fixed the problem. Also, I am an instinctive shooter too, I hit more birds if I point and shoot and I hit less if I try to aim at all.

You should consider an easy hit sight if you're having roblems keeping your head down or keeping your eye centered over the rib (eye dominance issues).

Otherwise, the factory bead is fine.

Learn to shoot instinctively by pointing the shotgun with both eyes opened, paying little to no attention the the beads.

You'll shoot a lot better, and you'll be safer.

Given what you said you shouldn't even have a bead... regarding your last paragraph--in the video that comes with the easyhit, Tom Knapp says the exact same thing and his point being that it is easier to do with the easyhit. Are you saying the product advocates shooting with one eye? Have you used the product?

I've shot with no bead, brass beads, factory beads, and easyhit.

The Easyhit was distracting to me. I was paying more attention to the bead than I was the ducks, and I was missing a lot of ducks that morning.

I pried the easyhit off with my knife blade and immediately dropped the next pair with no bead.

I'm not saying any more or any less than I've already said.

I know exactly what Tom Knapp says in the videos. I even ripped the video from the DVD and posted it on here a while back.

I don't think it's going to help with the fit of the gun, but it may force better alignment of an ill-fitting gun.

I'm not saying any more or any less than I've already said.

I know exactly what Tom Knapp says in the videos. I even ripped the video from the DVD and posted it on here a while back.

I don't think it's going to help with the fit of the gun, but it may force better alignment of an ill-fitting gun.

That's fair enough and thanks for the clarification. My post wasn't meant as a character attack... I was just trying to get a feel for where you were coming from. That's one of the problems with message boards--you can't see the other person's disposition when they're "talking". Anyway, it struck me odd that you seemed to be saying what Tom said (his rationale to use the easyhit) as the exact reason why you shouldn't use it.

Now you've got me curious about fitting a gun... I'm a newbie and I'm learning.

Thanks,

Dave

Anyway, it struck me odd that you seemed to be saying what Tom said (his rationale to use the easyhit) as the exact reason why you shouldn't use it.

That's not really what I meant to say.

What I was saying was that the easyhit sight can be a tool for people who cannot naturally shoot instinctively (pointing the shotgun with both eyse opened) to learn how to do so.

Once instinctive shooting becomes, well... instinctive, then the easyhit becomes unecessary and distractive.

The easyhit wasn't for me and it's not everyone, but it does a purpose and a place.

I see it as braces for your shooting form.

Once your form conforms to the new shape, the braces can come off.

I asked Tom Knapp about this device at SHOT Show last week. He said that the choice of which one of these to purchase / use depended on the primary intended target – i.e., clays or hunting.

As to testing before installing them, his suggestion was that you use electrical tape to temporarily attach Easyhit sights. Don't cover the portion that gathers the light however. Once you work your way through placement you then peel, stick and mount them.

His other general suggestions regarding shooting shotguns were to try to remember what the sight picture looked like when hitting the target and then to try to duplicate it in future shots. Also that it’s better to error slightly in leading the target than to have the stream of shot falling behind the target, as statistically you may wing more clays or birds as they fly into the flowing stream of shot.

Regardless, he said to just leave the front sight on and sight using both eyes open. Only the dominant eye will see the dot while having the other eye open improves peripheral vision. I’d guess that Dick Chaney didn’t have one of these at that Texas dove hunt?