My first benelli and so many questions

rc51kid

So I just picked up my first Benelli and I think I am in love. It is a used police trade-in M1super 90 tactical. It has the full length magazine, ghost ring sights and pistol grip. I swapped the stock for a Speedfeed to shorted the length of pull and also swapped to a US made magazine plug. This should make it 922 compliant if any one cares. It has a good bit of small scuffs and scratches. The finish on the top ears of the sights is worn. So it does look used, but the insides look really nice, hardly used. Best part is I got it for $599. Sounded good to me but I am no expert.

0011small.jpg

So I have a bunch of questions so here goes.

1) I pulled all apart and cleaned it. I put it together dry. Where do I need to lube it, with what and how much.

2) is there any internal parts I should look at to see if it was shot a lot or that need to be inspected?

3) How can I remove the tube that holds the recoil spring in the stock to clean inside of it( I hear it can get dirty)?

4) I have heard the old style sights are fragile, do I have the old or new?

5) I looked down the barrel from the receiver end and it looks to have “something rough” in it near the chamber. Is this just residue and powder that I need to clean? What should I clean it with? Any chance that it is the chrome bore pealing up from lots of use or would that take 100,000 rounds?

6)I think I really like the speedfeed stock. But it doesn’t seem to fit the receiver well. Is this common? What is the common opinion of the speedfeed stock?

7) is there date codes in the serial number like with my Sigs and HK?

8) feel free to scold me and tell me to use the search!!!

PS anyone know who used the M1? the stock said "BPD" on it. Boston?

congrats on a good buy,,,there are some issues in buying a used shotgun,,,,check the firing pin ,,look for any visible signs of abuse or hard wearing ,,,etc,google has some good articles on buying a used shotgun,one thing I would do is put the factory pistolgrip back on,,,others will chime in also for there assistance,,again good buy and see ya later

Benelli's CS will tell you to put some Gun Scruber into the "weep hole" near the end of the recoil tube and work the action to get all the rust and debris out. If you're like me and can't stand not getting at the spring and internal parts, put the receiver in a vise with a cloth around it to spare it from scratches, put the nut on the bolt at the end of the tube, get a second 8 mm, 1 pitch nut and with some heat--just enough that it's hot to the touch, back the bolt out--it's lock tited in. I cleaned the threads, the tube, etc and put antiseize on the threads and reassembled. Hope this helps.

Benelli's CS will tell you to put some Gun Scruber into the "weep hole" near the end of the recoil tube and work the action to get all the rust and debris out. If you're like me and can't stand not getting at the spring and internal parts, put the receiver in a vise with a cloth around it to spare it from scratches, put the nut on the bolt at the end of the tube, get a second 8 mm, 1 pitch nut and with some heat--just enough that it's hot to the touch, back the bolt out--it's lock tited in. I cleaned the threads, the tube, etc and put antiseize on the threads and reassembled. Hope this helps.

It is helpful, thanks.

So it does the portion that has the treads on it come out of the tube and the tube stays in the receiver? Or does the tube come out from the receiver?

1) Lube the recoil spring in the buttstock, light oil on bolt head where it pivots.

2) Top of the receiver, inside, near the back.

3) As above, heat to loosen threadlocker on nut, wrench to loosen. BEWARE OF FLYING PARTS.

4)Dunno

5)Probably crud, clean "with extreme prejudice" or burnish bore.

6)Dunno

7)http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=73492

8);)