Many great deals on used R-1 rifles.

DreamHuntz

Anyone considering buying a new Benelli R-1 rifle should check-out the large selection and great deals on used Benelli R-1's on http://www.gunsamerica.com site. They have them in every caliber and the site is over-flowing with used R-1 rifles.

I recently sold my own rifle for only $400.00. I couldn't find anyone interested in buying it so I gave it away and took a huge loss...OUCH! It was less than 2 years old and looked brand new and didn't have a scratch on it. I just never could get it to shoot consistantly. It seemed to shoot differently every time I took it out of the case. I finally got tired of fooling with the blasted thing. ( Besides I was going broke buying ammo for it too) I shot about 12-14 boxes of ammo through it and also sent it back to BenelliUSA for service to no avail. They never could find the problem or correction for it. I asked them to please replace the gun but they said it was within the Benelli factory tolerance of shooting 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I never saw that in the advertisements "performance work the price" and probably shouldn't have bought the gun in the first place if that is all the R-1 rifle is capable of. (I have seen auto loading slug guns that would do that).

Anyway I didn't want it on my conscience to sell a rifle that performed so poorly to an unsuspecting buyer. I just didn't think that would be right. I let 4-5 of my hunting buddies shoot the gun to see if they were interested in buying it at a very good price but they were all afraid that they might wound an animal with a bad shot or miss a trophy opportunity associated with its poor accuracy and passed on it.

I also know of a local authorized benelli dealer selling brand new R-1 rifles clearance priced at $980.00 still in the box just to get them out of there inventory. They said they have had negative feed back from other owners that were dis-satisfied like I was so they won't carry them anymore after these are gone.

I guess unfortunatley the R-1 doesn't have the reputation or accuracy associated with other semi-auto rifles such as Browning and Remington. One good thing that did come out of my experience was that I now shoot my bolt action rifle much better accuracy wise. I attribute this to building up the strength in my trigger finger after shooting the R-1.

Anyone interested in contact info for these new guns is welcome to leave a request on the forum and I will reply.

Tucker301

I just counted 20 Benelli R-1 rifles on the http://www.GunsAmerica.com website and they had all 5 calibers available including comfortech models. They actually had rifle/scope packages for around $1,000.00

I was very surprised to still see you hanging out on the site. I remember you were in the process of getting rid of your R-1 and considering a Browning BAR. I saw pics of your new assult rifle in another thread. Does it shoot any better than your old R-1 did? I bet you built some muscles up this season carring an 11 pounder in the field

I was just counting the used R1's.

I thought that's what we were talking about.

No big deal either way.

Yes, I have thoroughly enjoyed my AR.

I don't agree with the term "assualt rifle".

If I took a shot at you with a civil war musket, would that not also be an assault rifle? :cool:

It was somewhat heavy. I'm getting prepared to turn the barrel to a lighter contour and add a comp. That will take about 1.5 lbs off the weight, make it better balanced, and reduced muzzle jump.

I still own a Super Black Eagle II, so I guess that's why I'm still allowed to post here.

I was surprised to see that you had sold your R1.

I went back and looked through the archives and I saw some posts where you were delcaring 1/2" groups that beat your Remington 700.

Yes, the AR shoots very well with Federal Fusions.

Once I get the barrel work finished, I'll test it again, and I may begin handloading for it.

442024.jpg

Tucker301

Go to the http://www.gunsamerica.com site "click" rifles and scroll down to Benelli to see all 20. There was onlt (2) shotguns on that page

My R-1 did shoot pretty well when I first bought it but that didn't last very long. It eventually got so bad that it would not shoot a consistant 8" group. With a freshly cleaned barrel it would shoot tighter groups for about 8-10 rounds.I believe it possibly developed a hamonics problem in the barrel. That's why I sent it back to BenelliUSA for them to check it out for me. When I initially contacted customer service about the problem they told me to send it in and they would look in to the problem and see if they could straighten out. Keryn (customer service rep) told me not to clean the barrel so they could duplicate the same conditions that I was having problems. Upon arrival at their location Chester the gunsmith that worked on my gun said he found powder residue and copper foulings in the barrel to which he attributed the problem. This tells me he didn't read my letter as requested by Keryn. He shot three rounds at 100 yds with a 2 1/2" group and said it met Benelli specifications.

It just didn't make since to me to try and sight-in the gun and shot a three shot group to make sure it was sighted properly. How would you do that? Shot (1) shot and clean the barrel and repeat over and over again. Very time consuming process.

As I remember you had a muzzle break installed on your R-1 didn't you? I considered doing that also and cutting off 2" off the barrel to see if I could get it to stablize.

I basically tried everything I could think of "save my investment" but there were to many possiblities for the problems I was experiencing. I had (2) friends that I hunt with that both have enginering degrees, one from University of Florida and the other from Penn State University they thought it could have been a pressure issue with the gas port and cylinder or barrel harmonics. I am not a rich man and do not like taking an $800.00 loss but at some point I had to just say ENOUGH. I had spent more than $300.00 in just ammo chasing the targets. I even went as far as to buy a second leupold scope VX11 to put on the gun to eliminate that possiblty too. (another $338.00)

My refering to your AR as an assult rifle was due to the large volume magazine clip featured in you picture you posted. What does it hold like 20 rounds? Most other hunting rifles only hold (5) that's why I called it an assult rifle.

Again, out of those 20, most are labeled new, not used.

Without going through each one again, I found only a handful of them to be used.

Here's what you wrote originally:

"Anyone considering buying a new Benelli R-1 rifle should check-out the large selection and great deals on used Benelli R-1's on www.gunsamerica.com site. They have them in every caliber and the site is over-flowing with used R-1 rifles.

My R1 didn't have a muzzle brake.

+++++++++++++++++++++

So, magazine capacity defines the weapon's intended use?

That's intersting.

So, if add a magazine extension to my SBEII and remove the plug, thus increasing its capacity to exceed the perceived norm of three or five, then I'm in posession of an assault weapon?

But I was just going to go snow goose hunting.

I guess that's considered assaulting snow geese :rolleyes: .

Fact is, I'm not picking on you, but I am using your words to make a point.

Guns don't kill people anymore than Rosie's spoon made her fat as a cow.

The media coins phrases like "assault weapon" and they generically call a lot of SKS clones AK-47's, and so on. They hype these issues and then the radicals and hippies jump on the bandwagon.

The next thing you know, some clueless CA lawmakers are outlawing stuff that they don't even understand.

AR's are used for hunting, target shooting, varmint hunting, and competitions. They are reliable, proven, accurate machines that, when left sitting in a corner or in a gun case, do not assault anyone or anything.

THIS is an assault weapon.

I'm the wrong person to try and persuade about gun legislation. I believe that has already been covered in the United States constitution." The right to own and bear arms". So please save that arguement for the "lily livers" politicians in Washington D.C. and individual state governments.

I would like to hear more about your R-1 with the muzzle break (do you still have it?)

tucker301

Senior Member Join Date: Sep 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what the funds from the sale of my R1 brought me yesterday.

It weighs about twice what the R1 weighed, but I don't do a lot of long-range walking anyway, so that's no biggie.

Mostly, I just wanted a more accurate and more durable semi-auto deer rifle.

Nothing wrong with the R1. It just wasn't for me.

I didn't realize that you you posted the first GunsAmerica thread on this site. I was wondering why you were getting so involved in this particular thread...now we know!

05-22-2006, 07:54 PM

tucker301

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got my R1 listed on gunbroker and gunsamerica.

So, I've received a few genuine e-mails of interest, but I've also received several obvious bogus attempts to scam me out of my somewhat hard-earned cash.

06-22-2006, 11:47 PM

tucker301

Well, I guess I should check my auctions more often!

The gunbroker listing has met the reserve with a little over a day left, so it's on the way out... hopefully.

How much did you sell your R-1 for?

And, yes. I have a 20 round clip and a 10 round clip.

There is a ten round clip available for the R1.

With that clip, I guess the R1 is now an assault rifle too.

Was considering the R1 but have recently found out that the triggers were very stiff and the accuracy was not the greatest. I can appreciate the knowledge that you may have can you tell me how well they really shoot? No one in town carries them and told me that they are having numerous problems. Do you hunt with your assault rifle? Seems like it would be heavy to carry thru the woods and also give a bad impression to non-hunters about hunters and the tradition there of

It's all been covered here before.

Read through the older posts regarding accuracy, reliability and trigger pull.

As far as my hunting with an AR goes, that's a matter of personal choice for me.

A lot of my deer hunting is done in front of dogs, where the deer are on the run.

The AR makes sense for this unique set of circumstances.

If I hunt a beanfield, I use a different rig.

If I were hunting the open spaces of Wyoming or Colorado, I'd use a lighter weapon for easier carrying.

It's all been covered here before.

Read through the older posts regarding accuracy, reliability and trigger pull.

As far as my hunting with an AR goes, that's a matter of personal choice for me.

A lot of my deer hunting is done in front of dogs, where the deer are on the run.

The AR makes sense for this unique set of circumstances.

If I hunt a beanfield, I use a different rig.

If I were hunting the open spaces of Wyoming or Colorado, I'd use a lighter weapon for easier carrying.

I saw where you made corrections for other posters so I thought I would help you out bean field is 2 words.

So you take an assault rifle to shoot endlessly at running deer in front of dogs? Where do all the misses go. Not to badger you but how safe is it to use a long range weapon on a spray raid for deer? While I personally have nothing against hunting with dogs, with the ever persistence of the animal rights groups do you think the use of such weapons in a sport/tradition such as hunting will send the wrong message to the non-hunter? Seems an AR definitely crosses the line of a Sporting rifle. Where do you hunt that the DNR allows the use of extended magazines/clips making the AR's more suitable over any other 5 rnd semi auto rifle while hunting with dogs? In my area most dog hunters use shot guns, it is much easier to hit a running/moving target with 24 pellets out of a 3" magnum and the short range makes it much safer for others in the area. I came to this sight in hopes of gaining quick information before driving 140 mi. to look at the R1 sorry to bother you. You seemed at the time most knowledgeable of Benelli products, now maybe I can find someone more helpful.