it's Official - Remington Dumping Zumbo

tucker301

http://www.remington.com/library/press/2007/2007-1.asp

Remington to Sever Sponsorship Ties with Jim Zumbo

Madison, North Carolina – As a result of comments made by Mr. Jim Zumbo in recent postings on his blog site, Remington Arms Company, Inc., has severed all sponsorship ties with Mr. Zumbo effective immediately. While Mr. Zumbo is entitled to his opinions and has the constitutional right to freely express those options, these comments are solely his, and do not reflect the views of Remington.

“Remington has spent tens of millions of dollars defending our Second Amendment rights to privately own and possess firearms and we will continue to vigorously fight to protect these rights,” commented Tommy Millner, Remington’s CEO and President. “As hunters and shooters of all interest levels, we should strive to utilize this unfortunate occurrence to unite as a whole in support of our Second Amendment rights.”

We regret having to terminate our long-standing relationship with Mr. Zumbo, who is a well-respected writer and life-long hunter.

For those who haven't already heard, Zumbo wrote comments on his OL blog calling AR rifle terrorist weapons that had no sporting use.

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html

Since then, he has been attacked on just every hunting and gun forum there is.

I think Remington and others could have made better use of this opportunity by inviting Jim to learn more about the black rifles and to understand that they can and are used by many sportsmen all over the world.

Overall, I'm very dissapointed that so many gun owners have used this unfortunate moment in his career to launch lynch-mob styled attacks on his character.

Many of the inflammatory comments only serve to fuel the anti gun lobby's assertions that many gun owners are hotheads with short fuses and are prone to violence when not appeased.

By "eating our own young" we have served no good purpose.

i for one was one of those that blasted him, I read his comments as a member on (AR15.com) and i was highly aggitated at being labeled a 'terrorist' simply for owning and enjoying three of the 'evil rifles'. I do not feel sorry for Mr Z, perhaps he should've thought and spoken more carefully before he attacked so many gun owners with his anti gun rhetoric. HCI is enjoying his lil speech and will use it to there utmost gain and Mr Z should be punished for putting us that position, considering he has a very high profile soapbox and is in a position to be very influential. Bottom line is, he should've known better, and afterwards, dont give a half a**ed appology and blame it on a long hunting day. Good riddance Mr Z.

tom

considering he has a very high profile soapbox and is in a position to be very influential. .

tom

Sort of my whole point.

Any one of the numerous prominent AR manufacturers could have used the opportunity to invite Mr. Zumbo to their facilities where he could be taught how the weapons are made and how they are used in tactical, military, sporting and competitive environments.

Doing so would have been a great PR opportunity for the industry, and it could have served to educate a vast audience on the facts concerning semi-automatic firearms.

I'd rather educate someone and make a friend of them than to chop off his head and make a martyr for the opposition, solidifying their stereotypical views of gun owners as hate-mongering, intolerant hot-heads.

The "kill all who oppose us" stance (metaphorically or literally) is not the image we need to project these days.

Again, the only group that can possibly gain from this outcome is the Brady Bunch.

Had it been handled more objectively and intelligently, the industry could have made a better example of Jim, by making him into a publicly converted proponent of semis.

Sort of my whole point.

Any one of the numerous prominent AR manufacturers could have used the opportunity to invite Mr. Zumbo to their facilities where he could be taught how the weapons are made and how they are used in tactical, military, sporting and competitive environments.

Doing so would have been a great PR opportunity for the industry, and it could have served to educate a vast audience on the facts concerning semi-automatic firearms.

I'd rather educate someone and make a friend of them than to chop off his head and make a martyr for the opposition, solidifying their stereotypical views of gun owners as hate-mongering, intolerant hot-heads.

The "kill all who oppose us" stance (metaphorically or literally) is not the image we need to project these days.

Again, the only group that can possibly gain from this outcome is the Brady Bunch.

Had it been handled more objectively and intelligently, the industry could have made a better example of Jim, by making him into a publicly converted proponent of semis.

I agree 100% Too bad this didn't turn out that way. :(

My guess is that someone of Zumbo's age and lengthy career would not be easily swayed after making such bold statements, unless he just outwardly changed his opinion to help keep his sponsors.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. I can't stand a fellow gun enthusiast who wants to get rid of or limit the use of another gun enthusiasts firearms. Don't these folks understand that the left is looking for any little open door that they can stick their foot in. Once they get rid of that certain weapon system that you personally don't like, sure as **** they're gonna come after your favorites.

Like the poster above this stated, Mr Z has been in the firearms and hunting business for along, long time and for him to be invited to 'learn' and then convert him to our side is indeed a far fetched idea. He only appologized to keep his sponsors and his job, that appolgy wasnt for real, it was done to attempt to tone down the torrent of bad press he was recieving. His statements were not borderline bad, not sitting on the fence b/c he didnt know anything about the guns, his statements were elitist and degrading to anyone that owns AR' or AK's and i took exception to it. Instead of us being forgiving and inviting him to learn b/c he didnt know, perhaps he should've learned before he spoke but i guarantee ya this, hes 'learned'now. As for us appearing to be 'intolerant hot heads', well, i am one when it comes to my freedoms. Us standing idly by expecting everything to turn out ok b/c we have faith in the system has gotten us where?? Perhaps its time for more of a 'hot head' response and shake things up a bit and see what happens, i doubt it will be much worse than the hellstorm thats rapidly approaching in 08. Again, i say good riddance and farewell to a loudmouth that hopefully will be unemployed very soon.

tom in tn

Early in his first writing he admitted being clueless about the weapons. Admittedly, this is when he should have realized that he could stand to learn more before spewing forth a bunch of misconceptions about them and the people who use them.

I own an AR and I wasn't one bit degraded by his comments, because I understood that they were based on a complete lack of knowledge on the subject.

He could have taken wiser steps, like perhaps researching the matter and then voicing an educated opinion, but he didn't.

Zumbo has been a trusted and reliable friend of sportsmen for over 40 years.

It's just a shame that he made a "Jimmy The Greek" mistake and he's paying for it so dearly.

This country gives way too much credence to the few and the loud when things don't go the way they want them to go.

Just remember that the same factors that brought about the sure and swift end to Mr. Zumbo's career today may very well play against us in another battle of higher consequences.

I understand your view and your points have some credence, however, the fact remains the Mr Z put himself in this position and a man with such a long history of being the sportsman friend should've known better. We, as gun owners are in a critical hour and every battle counts and we cannot afford to allow someone masquerading as a 'friend of guns' get in a cheap and harmful shot w/o being accountable. I own 3 AR's and 3 AK's and i was deeply offended at his comments, as was many, many others judging by the response to his blog. So let this serve as a warning to any other wolves in sheeps clothing, there is no middle of the road, you are either with us 100% or against us 100%. You cannot pick and choose a gun to like or dislike or ban or not ban simply b/c of looks..period!

On another gun forum, one member just apologized to another for making unfounded and erroneous assumptions based on the other fellow being from Minnesota.

Seems he assumed that the fellow must be a Democrat if he's from a blue state.

The apology was accepted and they moved on.

Funny thing is, the guy who wrote the public apology didn't think Zumbo's apology was sincere and that it should be discarded, while Zumbo is still labeled the enemy.

I wonder how this guy would feel if Republicans called him a traitor and demanded that his employer immediately terminate him?

I mean, divided we fall, right?

Irony's a mean and twisted B**** sometimes, ain't she?

I see no irony in that. We deal with stereotypes based on assumption, daily. Here in Mr Z's case we can base our opinion on HIS WORDS. We can base our opinion on what he put out there willingly and knowingly for us to make our opinion, therefor i have ZERO regard for his appology or for gun owners welcoming him back into our open arms. members of a forum or group or club or anythign can make mistakes and spout off and call names and do all kinds of mean things, they can then make up and appologize and move on. The difference between the posters and Mr Z is that the posters didnt disgrace and insult the others on a national stage and cause irrepairable harm to them or their cause. Mr Z did! You will never have me to beleive his appology was sincere and heartfelt and if you think it is, tell me what life changing event happened in those hrs that gave him a vision and a change of heart?? exactly! his job and sponsors where on the line so he would've thrown his own mother to the wolves to save himself...again, good riddance

I read his posts on the blog (before it got taken down) that had all of his opinions about what guns a hunter should use, what ranges people should shoot their game at to be ethical hunters....etc, so on and so forth. I mean come on Tuck hunting makes you happy, if you get your limit I'll give you a high five and tell you way to go!...not make a long drawn out line of BS on how you should have filled your tag. this guy ment what he said when he said it, the only reason he tried to retract his statement later is because the pressure from his sponsors.

I guess my point being is we all put too much into these type guys like Zumbo doode, you shoot and hunt because we enjoy doing this and we have fun...do what makes you happy and dont listen to all the crap like "you need to buy this to make you a better hunter", or you need to hunt like this to get the big one!! ---I say "be safe and have fun!"

Oh and old Zumbo got all freaked out about fellas using AR15s and AKs to coyote hunt with just what do you think he would have said about us in the deer woods sporting out Benelli M1014s and M4s with extended magazine tubes, Eotech sights, heat shields, stand off devices, bayonet lugs, side saddles????....I wonder if he would have thought we was worse than terrorists?:eek: I know during the firearms season here I tote my Benelli with pride :D

Forgot to add:

The only spokeman of the hunting industry you should listen to is Will Primos because he is awsome, go team primos!!!

Well, it looks like at least gun/hunting advocate agrees with me.

NUGE

Administrator posted 02-20-2007 08:35 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh ye of little faith. Hear me & hear me well; I spoke at length with Jim. His mea culpa is indeed sincere, and my take on this is deadnuts accurate. Im tellin ya this is OUR moment. Jim has given me every indicator that he has learned an enormous lesson here & now stands to take that enormous lesson to those in most desperate need of it; the divisionery antis within our own gun ranks. Dont toss this new powerful recruitment crowbar away. plz.

Zumbo:

"And, to show that I'm sincere about this, I just talked to Ted Nugent, who everyone knows, and is a Board member of the NRA. Ted is extremely active with charities concerning our wounded military, and though he's known as a bowhunter, Ted has no problem with AR 15's and similar firearms. My sincerity stems from the fact that Ted and I are planning a hunt using AR 15's. I intend to learn all I can about them, and again, I'm sorry for inserting my foot in my mouth."

I am a black rifle guy, but I also like old 1894 Winchesters. Maybe I'm just schizo. But reading the quote from Zumbo, I think he has definitely learned from his mistake. It's one thing to tell me that my toys should be banned or otherwise restricted, just like the Brady Bunch would say, but it's another to then step back and admit that he was out of line. I have said things that I later regretted, and fortunately didn't get anyone killed. I applaud Zumbo for setting out to learn about the AR. I have no idea who Zumbo is and don't really care, but if he has been a respected voice for the 2nd Amendment, I sure as heck don't want to give the Brady Bunch a chance to capitalize on this situation. If we allow significant divisions within our ranks with no chance for forgiveness and apologies, then even this forum may be considered verboten in '08. We need all the support we can get, even if it means trying to 'convert' someone, as far fetched as it may seem. Miracles do happen. Heck, I'm still alive.....

i like and respect uncle Ted but i still think Mr Z got or is getting what he deserves. Someone that was/is such a fighter for 2nd ammendment rights SHOULD KNOW BETTER than to make a moronic, blanket statement such as he made. Z's mea culpa was simply brought on by the outrage directed at him and his sponsors,otherwise can you think of any major event that would change his mind so drastically in those few hrs?? Exactly my point, it was a self serving attempt to save himself and by repeatedly mentioning injured veterans he was attempting to sway us with our sympathies towards injured veterans. Like i said before, this will serve as a 'crowbar' for sure, but a crowbar to show the other haters out there in our midst that we wont tolerate getting slammed in the media by one of our own. Thats the last ill say on this subject..thanks

tom in tn

Given that Zumbo backpedalled quickly, and seemed at least somewhat earnest about it, I think cutting him loose was a bad idea. Yeah, he stuck his foot in his mouth -- big time -- and the Brady Bunch is going to capitalize on that. There's not much to be done other than what has been done, and the Bradys will continue to skew things (see the Brady myspace page shortly after this all went down? They almost totally glossed over his retraction).

Firing Zumbo seems like overkill. Rem should've kept him on, we've flamed him enough already. Introduce him to semis and go from there. Frankly, I think if they parked a nice M1A with a nice wood stock in his hands, he'd get more open minded pretty quick...

Update:

Outoodr Life magazine has fired Jim Zumbo after 30 years of service.

Jim Zumbo - 2/22/07

"The last few days have been an educational experience, to say the least. My ill-conceived inflammatory blog, as all of you now know, set off a firestorm that, I’m told, has never before been equaled. I’m not proud of that.

Let me say this at the outset. My words here are from the heart, and all mine. No one can censor me, and I answer to no one but myself. And I have no one to blame but myself. Outdoor Life, a magazine that I worked for full-time as Hunting Editor for almost 30 years, fired me yesterday. My TV show was cancelled yesterday. Many of my sponsors have issued statements on their website to sever all relationships. This may cause many of you to do backflips and dance in the streets, but, of course, I’m not laughing, nor am I looking for sympathy. I don’t want a pity party.

They say hindsight is golden. Looking back, I can’t believe I said the words “ban” and “terrorist” in the context that I did. I don’t know what I was thinking when I wrote that. I can explain this as sheer ignorance and an irresponsible use of words. What I’ve learned over the last few days has enlightened and amazed me. As a guy who hunts 200 days a year, does seminars on hunting, wrote for six hunting magazines, had a hunting TV show, and wrote 20 books on hunting, how could I have been so ignorant and out of touch with reality in the world of hunting and shooting?

But I was. I really can’t explain it, maybe because I just summarily dismissed the firearms in question in my mind when I saw them in magazines and catalogs. I saw one “black” firearm in a hunting camp in all my 50 years of hunting, and I shot one last year off a boat when fishing in Alaska. To tell the truth, it was fun and I enjoyed it immensely, but I never considered one for use in hunting. I have to tell you that I have had a revelation. I’m learning that many of my pals own AR-15’s and similar firearms and indeed use them for hunting. I was totally unaware that they were being used for legitimate hunting purposes. That is the absolute truth.

My biggest regret is not the financial impact of all this. I’m almost 67 and retirement is an option. The dreadful impact here is that I inadvertently struck a spear into the hearts of the people I love most…America’s gun owners. And, even though this huge cadre of dedicated people have succeeded in stripping me of my career, I hold no grudges. I will continue to stand as firm on pro hunting as I’ve ever done. But what’s different now is that I’ll do all I can to educate others who are, or were, as ignorant as I was about “black” rifles and the controversy that surrounds them. My promise to you is that I’ll learn all I can about these firearms, and by the time this week is out, I’ll order one. The NUGE has invited me to hunt with him using AR-15’s, and I’m eager to go, and learn. I’ll do all I can to spread the word.

I understand that many of you will not accept this apology, believing that the damage has been done and there’s no way to repair it. You have that right. But let me say this. I mentioned this above, and I’ll repeat it. I’m willing to seize this opportunity to educate hunters and shooters who shared my ignorance. If you’re willing to allow me to do that, we can indeed, in my mind, form a stronger bond within our ranks. Maybe in a roundabout way we can bring something good out of this.

Jim Zumbo "

The first thing is he knows this blog is goingto be read all over the internet. For someone PRO 2nd ammendment, should have known better to say ban any GUN, that can be legally purchased. Then to call this BLACK GUNS "terrorist guns" was just insane. Military and police forces all over the world use these weapons and are far beyond terrorist. The best military in the world ( U.S.A.) uses the m16, which you know is identical the the ar15, besides fully and semi auto. And Mr. Z damn sure knows our own military carry this same weapon. So why say something like that. So not only hurt assualt rifle owners but alot of military that put their lives on the line with these " terrorist" weapons.

So as MRMILITARYPOLICE well stated " you can not pick and chose" which guns you want to fight for in the 2nd ammendment. Theres two sides, with us or against us, kinda like TERRORIST- and COUNTER TERRORIST....two sides

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Alan Gottlieb, Chairman

Citizens Committee for the

Right to Keep and Bear Arms

12500 N.E. Tenth Place

Bellevue, WA 98005

Dear Alan:

They say that hindsight is always 20-20. In my case, hindsight has been a hard teacher, like the father teaching the son a lesson about life in the wood shed.

I was wrong when I recently suggested that wildlife agencies should ban semiautomatic firearms I erroneously called “assault rifles” for hunting. I insulted legions of my fellow gun owners in the process by calling them “terrorist rifles.” I can never apologize enough for having worn blinders when I should have been wearing bifocals.

But unlike those who would destroy the Second Amendment right to own a firearm – any firearm – I have learned from my embarrassing mistake. My error should not be used, as it has been in recent days by our common enemies, in an effort to dangerously erode our right to keep and bear arms.

I would hope instead to use this spotlight to address my hunting fraternity, many of whom shared my erroneous position. I am a hunter and like many others I had the wrong picture in mind. I associated these firearms with military action, and saw not hunting as I have known it, not the killing of a varmint, but the elimination of the entire colony. Nothing could be further from the truth, but I know from whence it comes. This ridiculous image, formed in the blink of an eye, exerts an unconscious effect on all decisions that follow. In seeking to protect our hunting rights by guarding how we are seen in the public eye, I lost sight of the larger picture; missed the forest for the trees.

My own lack of experience was no excuse for ignoring the fact that millions of Americans – people who would share a campfire or the shelter of their tent, and who have hurt nobody – own, hunt with and competitively shoot or collect the kinds of firearms I so easily dismissed.

I recently took a “crash course” on these firearms with Ted Nugent, to learn more about them and to educate myself. In the process, I learned about the very real threat that faces all American gun owners.

I’ve studied up on legislation now in Congress that would renew and dangerously expand a ban on many types of firearms. The bill, HR 1022 sponsored by New York Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, is written so broadly that it would outlaw numerous firearms and accessories, including a folding stock for a Ruger rifle. I understand that some of the language could ultimately take away my timeworn and cherished hunting rifles and shotguns as well as those of all American hunters.

The extremist supporters of HR 1022 don’t want to stop criminals. They want to invent new ones out of people like you and me with the simple stroke of a pen. They will do anything they can to make it impossible for more and more American citizens to legally own any firearm.

Realizing that what I wrote catered to this insidious attack on fellow gun owners has, one might say, “awakened a sleeping giant within me, and filled him with a terrible resolve.”

I made a mistake. But those who would use my remarks to further their despicable political agenda have made a bigger one. I hope to become their worst nightmare. I admit I was wrong. They insist they are right.

Enclosed, you will find a check that is intended to be used to fight and defeat HR 1022. I also hope it inspires other gun owners to “do as I do, not as I say.”

I’m putting my money where my mouth should have been, and where my heart and soul have always been. I know the Second Amendment isn’t about hunting and never has been. My blunder was in thinking that by working to protect precious hunting rights I was doing enough. I promise it will never happen again.

I don’t know what lies over the horizon for me. I am not ready for the rocking chair.

I’m going to devote every ounce of my energy to this battle. I will remind my fellow hunters that we are first, gun owners. Whether we like it or not, our former apathy and prejudices may place that which we love, hunting, in jeopardy. I will educate fellow outdoorsmen who mistakenly think like I talked, even if I have to visit every hunting camp and climb into every duck blind and deer stand in this country to get it done. I was wrong, and I’m going to make it right.

Sincerely,

Jim Zumbo

You know, I suspect that Zumbo will be writing for magazines again in the near future, but this time it won't be as much about hunting. This might actually turn out to be a good thing for us ebil black gun-o'-doom lovers.