Dog training

Liberty or death Jr.

Hey guys, more on dogs. First off, where do you guys find the time to train your dogs, my uncle who has trained many dogs, told me they need attention everyday, training that is. I don't have a real job yet, I mostly do handy man work, but I may be getting a real job soon, you know 9-5 or more likely 7:30-6:00 and in winter it gets dark before 6:00 :eek: . So how do you guys find the time for it?

My uncle also suggested I go to an obedience class when I get him, and then find someone who will help me train him for hunting. He can't help me that much because he is in Washington and I'm in Montana. Did you guys use books or did you take a class with your dog when you first started training? Thanks

When I first got my dog we went to a "Puppy Kindergarten" class. Yeah, I know, sounds silly but it was good for the dog. We got in basic obedience training and he learned how to socialize with other dogs so he wasn't always on the fight around a new dog.

After that, for his formal training, I paid a guy to train him. I knew I wouldn't have the time (working a full time job like you mentioned) or knowledge to do it myself. It wasn't cheap, but I'm glad I did it.

Granted, if money is a concern, then yeah, you'll have to make due with training him yourself, and it doesn't have to be every day. My dog went with the trainer two or three times a week, and probably spent anywhere from one to three hours on each of those days working with the trainer. He did that for about three months.

That was for upland hunting. He learned how to work a pattern out in front of me, find the bird, stay on point, be steady to wing and shot and retrieve. Granted his retrieve isn't the best in the world, but it's getting there. I think I'll work more with him this summer on retrieving and try to take him with me in the fall for some waterfowl after the upland hunting is over.

Liberty,

You can do it!

Read the books by Wolters talk with a mentor and and start from there, it seems daunting at firs but its really not that hard just keep your patience. I bought my lab in December a few years ago, and you can do a lot with a puppy inside or even after dark abit outside. Your training sessions should last real long with a young dog or he will get bored and confused. Short sessions and lots of repetion until he gets it, then move on.

I work a full time job plus 3 kids and a wife, trust me you have lots of time to train a pup - I know your a young man and are still in school so it shouldnt be a problem. Training your own dog will be a very gratifying experience for you, after the first year it you wont believe the difference and the same after the second.

Good luck and no fears.

Well I have a bit of a bonus on school, I am homeschooled and I graduate next year. Which book or books by Wolters do you guys reccomend? The gun dog focuses on upland and water, and the Water dog, focuses on water and upland. I want him to be a water dog, and a pointer, this first year I am going to concentrate on water retrieval and next year is when I will get into pointing and upland hunting. I don't have the money to pay someone to train him. I looked it up and it can run up in the thousands.

I do about a total of 15-30 minutes of training a day broken into 2-3 sessions. I've been using Game Dog with a somewhat high degree of success. However, it is for upland retrievers and not pointers. Wolter wrote a book called Gun Dog that is for training pointers, but I've never read it so I can't comment. I was looking at GSPs before I got my lab and a DVD set called Perfect Start / Perfect Finish was recommended to me by a few breeders. I think Water Dog, 10-minute Retriever, or Smartwork would be good water training books/DVDs. Check with your breeder or surf some pointing dog forums to see if you should start the water work before the pointing work if you're still getting the PP so you don't screw the dog up. If you end up getting a lab then I highly recommend Game Dog book/DVD set. Which ever you get I would get into the books before the pup comes home.

Yeah, I'm definately getting the books before the dog. He never specified any good training books, he just said they are all kinda the same. He probably hasn't read one in the longest time so he can't really comment on a good book. I'll ask him if I need to work on pointing first, but he mentioned they are just as good of a water dog as they are a pointer, so I don't think it matters which you start with, I'll ask anyway.

I want to stick with Wolters just because I have heard so many good comments on it, but no one has specified which would be best for training a water dog and a pointer, I know it will probably be 2 seperate books, so its probably going to be water dog and ??? whichever one is for training a pointer.

Gun Dog.

Water Dog.

Water retrieval will be easier to teach than the point work. I'd start with the pointing if it were me. As for what it cost, its been a couple of years ago so I don't remember exactly but it was something like $300 a month. That included birds and I was able to go with them any time I was able to.

I'm not sure what you mean by reinforcement?

I'm not sure what you mean by reinforcement?

Well once a dog is trained, do you just leave it that way, or do you continue to work with him on the off season? The reason I don't want to start with point work, is because all I am worried about this fall is waterfowl so I can just focus on water training, then, I have all next summer to work him on pointing, but if I have to do both for the first year, I will.

As for training, yes, you have to keep doing stuff with them. Dogs are smart, but it doesn't hurt to keep them current

That is what I was talking about.

I know upland is this fall, but I'm not really worried about it, I hunt waterfowl way more then pheasant hunting, I pheasant hunted maybe 4 times last year and I think I shot 3 total. I will train him next year for that kind of hunting, but I'm gonna concentrate on waterfowl, unless it could have a negative impact if I wait. I'm still trying to call him, his phone has been busy, I'm going to ask him if I should work on both, or if it is okay to wait on the upland. But another reason I wanted this kind of dog is because I want to move to Texas when I move out, and they have quail, pheasant, doves, pigeons, ducks, geese and whatever else I can hunt, I wanted a dog for all around hunting, thats why I liked the PP so much.

it seems that many people faced with training their first dog get hung up on the time it takes to train. the time i spend with my dogs is the best recreation i have,training as well as hunting. I'm on my 7th. dog,most have been retrievers,but i have a shorthair now,in addition to my retriever. I can't wait to get home from work to spend some time with my dogs. i do something with both of them everyday. 10 to 15 minutes twice a day will get your dog and you trained. make the time,give up a little tv or whatever,you and the dog will be better off for it. just my .02 cents but wolters is a little to time table oriented for me,dogs are like people they are all a little different,and learn differently,some pick things up quick,some take a little longer. I like training retrievers for marshes amd meadows by ken roebuck. but any training book will give you the guidelines. marshhawk

I think I will stick with Wolters, I've heard to many good things about it, thanks though. I should have plenty of time to train him.

Sdkidaho, it looks like I have to wait a minimum of 6 months to get the PP, I'm willing to wait because this is the dog I want, but that kinda sucks that I have to wait that long, this waterfowl season will still be fun though.

Thanks

I do agree Wolters is a little time table oriented and it kind of bothered me at first but what you realize later on you can use his method just stretch the time table out to match your dogs learning ability. Marshhawk it right on with the reward you get training your dog, and like he said a little each day in place of what ever you did in your free time before will go a long way.

most of the trainers in South Carolina charge about 125 a week ( 500 a month). They say that it takes about three months to do the training-give or take depending on how quick the dog learns. If you do not have time to do it yourself then I think it is well worth it. As far as the "bonding" goes, I do not think that it is harmful at all. I know my dog was super excited to see me after 2 months, and now when we go hunting I do not have to teach or yell at him. So we are always having a great time hunting and "bonding". Well worth the $. IMHO. I have read gun dog and water dog and they are good books. However, I was in your position (right out of school) and was scared that I might screw it up some how. Good luck!

I have used "The 10 Minute Retriever". It's easy to follow and more up to date. I also have the DVD "Water Dog" I trained my black male until he was seven months old. He got his HRC title SHR at that time and now he is at a trainer being force trained. I'll get him back in a month and finish the training myself. Cost of my trainer is $450 a month but he is the best in my opinion.