My Thoughts on the looming AWBII and a response to it..please read and gimme your tho

MrMilitaryPolice

on another pro gun website, the idea of a 'million Gun Owner March' has been tossed around, twhat follows is my view on that and current eventsconcerning us gun owners.....my post follows...

Regarding the 'million gun owners march' proposal, if its legit, organized, well planned out and co-ordinated with every gun group and organization we can think of, id do it no matter when or where. Problem is, i dont want to travel somewhere only to find its been done with little effort and no-one is really there to support our cause. A situation such as that would do much more harm than good, it would make us appear, as uneducated, unorganized and unresponsive gun owners...it'd be a disaster. If it was done correctly and professionally, i think a huge statement could be made and would certainly grab some attention and headlines for our cause. Its about time we ALL did something like this besides sitting back on our keisters waiting for someone else to step up and take up our slack and fight our fight for us, GET INVOLVED IN THE FIGHT! Its time to put up or shut up, if you do nothing, dont ever complain or whine again about the state of affairs. As for those that summarily dismiss the idea b/c you have to work, you have church or your checkers club is meeting that day... for those people, HOW BOUT MAKING A STAND AND OFFERING SOMETHING TO THE CAUSE??!! I understand people have to work and have commitments and plans that cannot be broken, however, everyone could afford (hopefully) to miss 1-2 days work for such an important cause. If you cant afford a day or two off for something as important as our freedoms, our rights, our constitution, then damn, maybe you dont need to be a gun owner. Along with that right to keep and bear arms, comes some responsibilities! Im not trying to berate anyone, my point is this, its time to fight and its time to be heard and this could very well be the most important gathering (if it happens) in the history of gun ownership. This movement could be the turning point in the war on legally owned weapons, the turning point in the attack on law abiding citizens, the turning point in the attack on companies that make legal weapons products. PERHAPS MOST IMPORTANTLY, the turning point on the rights GUARANTEED us by our forefathers and given to us by every veteran that served and especially every veteran that died fighting for what he believed was a worthy cause, those causes being THE AMERICAN WAY OF LIFE, WITH FREEDOMS, WITH CHOICES, WITH THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS! This fight is going to be long, difficult and expensive in many ways but we all have to sacrifice and give it our all and our utmost attention. The 'anti's' are counting on us being too 'comfy' in our homes, in front of our tv's with our feet propped up saying 'i have too much to lose to get involved and my life is going just fine, let someone else do all the speaking out and take all the risks, im not going too' If you do nothing and we lose this fight, i hope you can look yourself in the mirror and your kids in the face and have a rational explanation as to why you did nothing while the very basis of our country is trampled on and dismantled by career politicians and those whom have a personal axe to grind. The U.S. is known as 'the land of the free and the home of the brave', if we stand by and do nothing, we'll be neither one of those things! Lets get up, get organized, get active, get out there and get our message out to the people that we are not the enemy, we are not the criminal element and we are not the ones to be pushed around any longer...please?!

Tom in TN

Nearly 40 views and not one comment, well folks i got news for ya..they want your shotguns too, just read the bill for yourself and see the semi auto section, better yet go over to HCI (the brady bunch page) and check out her ludicrous comments concerning the 12 gauge and WWI..everyone can sit back and the next thing you know, you dont have a shotgun, a 22 or anything else...the time for letting your rep's know how you feel is NOW...

If you want to spread your message, it's important to format the message so that it's concise and properly composed.

Personally, I think the march is too risky to attempt.

Several reasons.

The mainstream liberal media will only cover it with a leftist bias, being watchful for any signs of trouble-makers and unlawful behavior.

With a million or so people of ANY affiliation coming together in one place, it's pretty much a given that someone is going to cause some kind of trouble. It could be a bar fight, public drunkeness, or whatever, but you can bet that the media will focus on the least little thing and make a blanket big enough to cover us all with it.

Image is everything.

If just a handful show up in qasi-tactical and military styled gear, like some fools wear to the public ranges, then that's what the media will show to the world; and gun lover stereotypes will be reinforced in the minds of millions.

Out of a million, there's almost certainly going to be a few that are carrying, despite any warnings or pleas to not do so.

Many may be licensed, but all it would take is one screwup, just one.

The risk simply outweighs the potential benefit.

Grassroots local programs to educate the public and the kids is the way to go.

You are absolutely right on many of your points, i actually thought of those as well..if someone jay walked and got a ticket the media would be all over it, BUT, there has to be some media outlets that are neutral and will portray us in a favorable light, as long as none of our 'commando' brethren in the ranks do no harm. The grass roots teaching idea is great but isnt that what we've been doing for yrs now?? It takes too long and its not high profile enough. We need a response,we need a STRONG response and opposition tho the mere thought of AWB II. Lastly, the politicians need to see that as gun owners, are many and we are strong and we will not be silent anymore. We need to show our strength by shear number and by our willingness to come together for a cause that affects us all. There have been other gatherings and marches that were anti-gun, anti 2nd ammendment and they got alot of coverage and caused some people in elected offices to vote their way. We need the same type response, to sway some of those same people back on our side and make them realize that their elected careers will be short lived if they go against us. as for the formatting, again, if it was an official letter to an agency or my rep, id have taken the time to do it properly but this is an informal discussion board and mistakes and grammatical oddities are forgiven (well, they are in other forums)..thanks

On another pro gun website, the idea of a 'Million Gun Owner March' has been tossed around.

What follows is my view on that and current events concerning us gun owners.....my post follows...

Regarding the 'million gun owners march' proposal, if its legit, organized, well planned out and co-ordinated with every gun group and organization we can think of, id do it no matter when or where.

Problem is, I dont want to travel somewhere only to find it's been done with little effort and no-one is really there to support our cause. A situation such as that would do much more harm than good.

It would make us appear, as uneducated, unorganized and unresponsive gun owners...it'd be a disaster.

If it was done correctly and professionally however, I think a huge statement could be made and would certainly grab some attention and headlines for our cause.

Its about time we ALL did something like this besides sitting back on our keesters waiting for someone else to step up and take up our slack and fight our fight for us.

GET INVOLVED IN THE FIGHT! Its time to put up or shut up.

If you do nothing, dont ever complain or whine again about the state of affairs.

As for those that summarily dismiss the idea b/c you have to work, you have church or your checkers club is meeting that day... for those people, HOW BOUT MAKING A STAND AND OFFERING SOMETHING TO THE CAUSE??!!

I understand people have to work and have commitments and plans that cannot be broken. However, everyone could afford (hopefully) to miss 1-2 days work for such an important cause. If you cant afford a day or two off for something as important as our freedoms, our rights, our constitution, then damn, maybe you dont need to be a gun owner.

Along with that right to keep and bear arms, comes some responsibilities! Im not trying to berate anyone, my point is this, it's time to fight and its time to be heard and this could very well be the most important gathering (if it happens) in the history of gun ownership.

This movement could be the turning point in the war on legally owned weapons, the turning point in the attack on law abiding citizens, the turning point in the attack on companies that make legal weapons products.

PERHAPS MOST IMPORTANTLY, the turning point on the rights GUARANTEED us by our forefathers and given to us by every veteran that served and especially every veteran that died fighting for what he believed was a worthy cause.

Those causes being THE AMERICAN WAY OF LIFE, WITH FREEDOMS, WITH CHOICES, WITH THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS!

This fight is going to be long, difficult and expensive in many ways but we all have to sacrifice and give it our all and our utmost attention.

The 'anti's' are counting on us being too 'comfy' in our homes, in front of our tv's with our feet propped up saying, 'I have too much to lose to get involved and my life is going just fine.

Let someone else do all the speaking out and take all the risks, im not going to.'

If you do nothing and we lose this fight, I hope you can look yourself in the mirror and your kids in the face and have a rational explanation as to why you did nothing while the very basis of our country is trampled on and dismantled by career politicians and those whom have a personal axe to grind.

The U.S. is known as 'the land of the free and the home of the brave', if we stand by and do nothing, we'll be neither one of those things!

Lets get up, get organized, get active, get out there and get our message out to the people that we are not the enemy, we are not the criminal element and we are not the ones to be pushed around any longer...please?!

Tom in TN

edited by tucker301 for coherency

you know Tuck, if i wasnt such a sweet, teddy bear of a guy, id almost take offense to your jab concerning the coherency of my post...it doesnt matter if the words were written in swahili, the message is still the same. thanks for the editing tho, maybe if i was as square headed as you were, i mean leveled headed as you were, i wouldnt be so filled with emotion and passion for my beliefs that i could take the time to properly format my posts so the teacher doesnt patronize me. Oh, and a question, does your jacket have leather patches on the elbows?...just curious.

Mr Tom (got a bachelors degree in CJ but failed English according to Tuck) in TN

Join the NRA! Get others to do the same.

MR. M.P.,

I am proud to be a NRA member!

Tucker has a lot of truth in what he is saying, the media would like the world to think that ALL gun owners are gun toting, trigger happy, beer drinking, slobs. There is no truth in a statement like that, but the media doesn't care. They got it on film some one showing off how fast he can empty his gun, and another gun owner drinking beer, and another gun owner doing whatever, the list could go on and on.

This is where the NRA fits into the picture, they give us gun owners a clean face, I think that they try to leave people with the impression, gun owners are educated people with a level head.

This is the impression that we as individuals need to leave people with, who have questions about weather we need to own an AR-15 or the like. Shure it is the one who pulls the trigger, not the GUN that kills the person, but with an attitude like that, people will do everything in thier power to make shure that we do not own AR-15s and the like.

Here is my whole point, MONEY TALKS!!!!

Rather than having a march, and risking a gun owner being portrayed as an idiot, thereby confirming that all gun owners are idiots (In the media's eyes that is) Why not make it a point to support the NRA and others like them? The NRA has lobbist in D.C. working with our law makers daily, Congress knows that there are people who value gun ownership, they just don't know how many of us are really out here.

So instead of a Million man march, why not a Million letters to congress telling them how much you value your 2nd Amendment? That way they have paper proof of the number of gun owners telling them they take thier 2nd amendment right very seriously

Just a thought.

Scott

MrMP, I feel just as passionately as you on this subject, but I am able to keep my wits about this because I know that whatever the House of Rep's does in D.C., it is largely symbolic. It takes 60 votes in the Senate to even bring it to a debate and the "anti's" don't have the votes, just like the "anti-surge"resolution. These libbies are putting on a show to make people think they are in control, but they are not. They are a real threat, however, to our continued freedoms, and I hope everyone remembers all they have done to sabotage this country on the next election day.

Before you get too worked up, this similar post has been shooting around the web like wildfire. The guys over at AR15.com started up a post and it got locked out by the moderators when they finally had enough "the sky is falling comments". Here is the post:

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=316258

And here is what the moderators wrote when they shut it down and had somebody ask them to reopen the AWB2 thread:

From AR15.com moderator FOREST

Which AWB thread? Do you know how many we've had in the last 2 weeks?

Do you realize this bill comes up every year and has no cosponsors - that is will go nowhere and neither the NRA~ILA nor the GOA are concerned about it?

Right now the big issues are in the State Legislatures - visit your State's Hometown Forum to learn about what is going on there and what you can do to help.

We also have a Politics & Activism Forum where about half these dupes have ended up. That is the appropriate spot to discuss this.

Should there be a serious Federal AW ban in the works, you can be a thread will be tacked up at the top of this forum. Till then political threads will be moved to the appropriate forum.

Right now I'm going to lock this as it's not a Technical Issue.

I will finish this post by saying I do believe we have to stay vigilant, need to encourage NRA membership and activity in local firearms groups. Keep up good work, stay involved, WRITE YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS AT ALL LEVELS WHEN YOU HAVE A CONCERN, and help keep your right to bear arms as well exercised as possible.

Shane Bernskoetter

Author of:

Surviving Twilight: A Soldier's Chronicle of Daily Life in Iraq

http://www.survivingtwilight.com

Already a member of the NRA, already a member of the GOA (which i prefer 2-1). and im also thinking of joining the JPFO since i have several of their t-shirts, lol. Im well versed in how the political system works and i know this ban cant happen over night but i also know that when the anti's start this garbage we should immediately squash even the most unlikely attempt to ban anything. Some of you say now is not the time, its not gonna happen, etc etc..if i didnt know better id think i was back in 93-94...heard the same things then too!...interesting. One thing is for sure, i wont be caught with my pants down this time and i wont go down w/o a fight!

Were were the 80 million prior to February 13, 2002:

The House of Representatives turned the Bill of Rights on its head. The House rejected, by a 219 to 209 vote, a pro-gun amendment offered by Mississippi Republican Charles W. "Chip" Pickering. The Pickering amendment would have:

1. Exempted Second Amendment groups from the draconian provisions of the Incumbent Protection Bill (see vote taken on February 14, 2002);

2. Emphasized the importance of firearms for self-protection; and

3. Found that the Second Amendment is an "individual" right which is not just applicable to the National Guard. A vote against the Pickering amendment was a vote to limit the Second Amendment to the organized National Guard. By contrast, a vote in favor of the amendment was a pro-gun vote and is listed as a "+".

Failed: 209-219

How many of us wrote our Senators and Congressman to make our voices heard? Was it even a million?

MrMP keep the fight, some of us will. And then there are some that as you say "won't walk the walK"

I would be hesitant about attending any kind of rally, march or to otherwise assemble in a large group to protest a gun-related law issue. I agree with Tucker and MP in many ways. The media would look for any excuse to blow the whole thing way out of proportion, at which time the anti-gun people would say "See....look at those animals....this is what they are really like, and this is why we need to pass this ban".

I wrote my State Rep about a 5 paragraph letter today before I went to work, and I tried to present my points in a somewhat "respectable" manner. If people just start running off at the mouth without any sort of tact, their comments will likely be ignored and passed off as coming from just another hothead with the i.q. of a tennis shoe. Just like Tucker mentioned, it would only take one person to totally ruin any kind of gathering of people. Those are the kind of things that would be a major set-back to responsible owners.

I don't know very much about politics, nor do I follow any of the related media surrounding the issues. But I do think that part of this effort to ban weapons is nothing more than election-time propaganda. I'm not saying that it isn't real, or that there is no possibility of it becoming law, but it does seem to be too extreme even for a gun-hating democrat.

Another thing I have absolutely no knowledge of is the existing background check required for purchasing firearms. For me, buying a long gun is about a 2 minute wait while the dude behind the counter calls in my info. After that, I have to sign a few times, and I'm out the door. Pistols are a 48 hour wait, even if the background check is ok right away. Was there anything in this proposed law concerning a change to this process? If it came down to it, I guess I would be willing to wait 48 hours before taking the gun home than to not even be allowed to buy it in the first place.

There has to be a better way, as the guns themselves are not dangerous.

Thanks for the link, Tuck. I just took the survey and submitted the responses I think we all would. I'm a Life Member of the NRA, and I think they probably have the most effective lobby for our 2nd Amendment cause with Congress, though certainly not the only one.

Seems to me that during the upcoming elections we need to do our HOMEWORK on all the ANTI-GUN Politicians, by just doing a little research on how they voted on Gun Control issues and we pretty much know what will happen if we do not!! So ya know whom ya voted for in the past and chances are their views have not changed, BUT only takes a little diggin to uncover the WORMS! they can flip flop on us with out blinking an eye!! We have a voice in the if/when this issue will pass/fail so pop a letter to your Rep and see where they stand and then double check their positions closely!!

Wow. That is the most useless survey ever. Talk about bias...

It kind of reminds me of an episode of Family Guy where Brian is on trial.

Lawyer: Which of the following two phrases best describes Brian Griffin? "Problem drinker" or "African-American haberdasher"?

Peter: I guess "problem drinker." But that's...(interrupted)

Lawyer: Thank you. "Sexual deviant" or "magic picture that you stare at till you see something"?

Peter: "Sexual deviant," but that other one's... (interrupted again).

With as much bias as they're showing there, they may as well have just given you three options, "Agree", "Strongly Agree", and "Let's Ban Them All Right Now". Absolutely absurd.

simple e-mail or letter to your reps does alot, and give a form letter to your friends to mail or e-mail to.

convince everyone to write and mail on a certian day will make congress take notice. thats how the unions do it. we sent about 400 letters on the same day to our reps on the sweatshop bill and all cosigned it a week later.

most of the time only lobyist get in to make statements or what they see on c-span. reciving 400 letters in one day makes a impression in votes and remind them they represent us and not the lobyist or themselves.