How many of you have M4 marked with LE

STA

Quick survey while I try to assemble some Benelli history puzzle pieces. How many of you have M4s with the "LE" marking on the right receiver under the ejection port?

How was your's packaged, as a 11707 or other? What is the receiver and barrel serial ranges, i.e. receiver Y0XXXXX and barrel TMxxxxx.

SGTMAJ, thanks for the reply. Your's has an older serial in the same range as my 11703. Have you removed the stock to confirm your spring tube is fully milled for collapsing of a skeleton stock per the 11707 model designation ?

Also, can you give me an idea of the barrel serial range and how old your M4 is.

I just picked my 11707 up today the serial number is Y009xxx. The barrel is TM182xx. It is also marked m4LE under the ejection port. It has the standard pistol grip stock......Why do you ask ?

I ask being naturally curious and strangely cognizant of patterns.

I have a M4 11703 from 2 years ago in the serial range Y007XXX. At the moment, I can't recall the serial of the original 4 port 'low recoil rounds' barrel, but the two port replacement barrel was in the TM10XXX Range.

Recently, I am seeing the newer M4 11707 offered with serials in the Y12XXX+ range and likewise, the newer flanged barrels in the TM17XXX+ range.

My curiosity was raised when I found a M4 with the LE marking offered for commerical sale which the dealer claimed was new.

This had a new flanged barrel with the higher TM172XX serial, yet a lower receiver serial of Y0092XX with the LE marking. Also, the receiver had a BU date code meaning it was from 2004.

Several years ago, some had speculated the 'LE' mark meant a Law Enforcement model with the milled spring tube. These were around before expiration of the '94 ban, when the only models available to civilians were the 11701 commemerative M1014 with US Flag, and the 11703 with the unmilled spring tube/pistol grip stock.

I asked out of curiosity on seeing a "new" 11707 with a high barrel serial number and yet an older M4 LE receiver with a lower serial. Wondering out loud now if Benelli found a cache of older LE receivers that they decided to use up for 11707s or ???

You may have hit on something here. I had a **** of a time getting the two piece forearm to seat in the flange area of the receiver. I read the book and tried for about an hour being real gentle with it because I didn't want to screw something up. When I was finally satisfied I wasn't gonna bugger anything up it just needed a little tap with a rubber mallet to get the plastic forend pieces into the recess on the receiver. I'm sure once I get some trigger time in, it may loosen everything up nicely. You don't think there is gonna be a problem when I got to put my extended mag tube and the collapsable stock on do you ?

• 1 month later...

I just picked up my M4 and it has the additional LE marking. It was packaged as a model 11707 and is date coded BU (2004) and has a 2-port barrel. It has the standard pistol-grip stock and the fake mag extension.

Receiver: Y0087XX

Barrel: TM177XX

jhoffg

I just found a little more information that adds to the intrigue (confusion?). There is a sticker on the outside of my M4 LE box that appears to have been placed there at a later date than the original. My first M4 (non-LE) did not have a sticker like that. Could Benelli have pulled these and switched barrels before they were shipped? Or maybe there was some kind of recall from the dealers/distributor? Anyway, I will attempt to post pics.

M4 LE (date code BU) - Note added sticker:

img1668iu4.th.jpg

M4 (date code BZ) - Note earlier barrel number despite having later manufacture code:

img1672bg3.th.jpg

jhoffg

Yes this is the exact thing I was thinking. Your sticker for the M4 looks as expected, as I've seen the barrels (TM146XX) running higher than the receivers (Y0116XX) in number only.

These M4LE marked ones are the anomoly, with seemingly very new barrels (TM177XX) being put on older LE marked receivers (Y0087XX), and then hitting the shelves as new 11707s.

I wonder where Benelli dug up this cache of receivers and why they're being offered as such ??

I don't have the serial/barrel number handy since I'm at work, but my receiver is marked LE.

I don't recall my box having an extra sticker on it, but I did get a few that look like that in the box. They're still on the original wax paper backing stuff, so I guess they just weren't applied. Wasn't sure what they were.

I'd offer to take a look when I get home, but both box and m4 are currently in Benelli's hands...and if what they've said is true, they will be for another two months. :(