Gun Safe

J0hn

I am in the market for my first gun safe and wanted to find out what safes others are using. The store I went to today recommended either a Cannon or Fort Knox, both in the $1,500 range. Of course, I would rather spend less on the safe and buy another firearm, for the same money.

What do you think?

I use an American Security and it will not be carried out by a crack head in middle of night , weighs about 850lbs and has numerous guns in it and very happy with quality! check them on the net!! If it gets carried out he might be surprised cause all my guns are not inside it!! Not a cheap walmart grab and run safe this was purchased from a lock and key dealer which sells quality safes and got it at a discount due to last years model and they were closing it out!!

First thing I'd do is really research the features you care about prior to actually shopping for a safe. With no clue as to the kinds of features you are looking for, the first big, roomy safe you find is going to look excellent. With an actual list of criteria to measure against, you might be surprised how many fail to measure up to what you are looking for.

For example, I would recommend a minimum of 10-gauge steel. 8-gauge would be better. 12-gauge, which is used quite frequently, can be broken into relatively easily with the right axe (just smash through the side of the 12-gauge safe).

How heavy of a safe do you want? I'd recommend not getting anything that is less than 750 pounds. 500-pound safes are quite common (you find them at Sam's Club, etc.). A 500-pound safe can be carried/moved out of the house relatively easily by a couple of big guys.

What kind of fire-rating are you looking for? Personally, I'd shoot for 1,350 degrees or more x 60 minutes or more. 30 minute fire-ratings are quite common.

What kind of anti-theft relocker do you want? There are several different kinds.

How much money do you want to spend? They can get expensive, real quick.

I'd also recommend that you avoid electronic lock mechanisms. With an electronic lock, it's just a matter of time before it breaks down. Simply going to happen. Go with the older, boring, dial-locks.

Finally, get a safe that is bigger than anything you think you actually need. Just ask any safe owner: You'll grow into it, and eventually, you'll outgrow it. Once you get a large safe, you'll find all kinds of things besides guns that you'll want to store in it. And the space goes more quickly than you'll believe.

Based on my criteria, the safe I found that met my needs is from Rhino Safes:

http://www.rhinosafe.com/bh600.htm

When I bought mine, they had some 'blemished' safes on-hand that were going for $699.00 (instead of the listed $999.00). Shipping was an extra $100.00. The blemish turned out to be a small scratch in the paint that is about the size of a quarter. You couldn't even see it unless I pointed it out to you. In other words, should you go with them, call before buying anything. As for the safe itself, I've been perfectly happy with it.

Good luck in your search!

I had two Wide Body Safes Custom Made by This Company.............

They Weigh About 1200 lbs. each and are Rated For 2300 Degrees for 1 Hour..

http://www.sportsmansteelsafes.com/

1/4" steel plate double wall construction inside and out with ceramic fire lining between layers. 3/8" steel plate door with 1/2" drill proof plating inside covering the lock mechanisms, Dual Lock System, Spring Loaded Glass Relockers, 14 Active Bolts per Door, Intombescent seals, Interior Loghting, .......on.....and.....on.

After my research, I found these folks built the heaviest best safe for the money ........

But That's Only My Opinion................

Local television media reported that Birmingham (AL) police has surprised several "suspects" in the process of opening a stolen gun sale. The shots of the Winchester safe showed that the door had been pried off, and it looked as if they had also attacked the back panel. In any case, they were in the process of removing the guns and cash. This shows the importance of really securing the safe so that it can't be taken away. A good set of appliance hand trucks will move most safes unless they are bolted bolted through the floor and/or wall.

Local television media reported that Birmingham (AL) police has surprised several "suspects" in the process of opening a stolen gun sale. The shots of the Winchester safe showed that the door had been pried off, and it looked as if they had also attacked the back panel. In any case, they were in the process of removing the guns and cash. This shows the importance of really securing the safe so that it can't be taken away. A good set of appliance hand trucks will move most safes unless they are bolted bolted through the floor and/or wall.

That's exactly the problem with many safes on the market. People think, "Wow! It's roomy, and heavy! What a great safe!" When in reality, sub-par safes only offer a false sense of security.

This was probably one of those 550+-pound, 12-gauge safes one can pick up at Sam's Club. They look nice, but get past the superficial protection, and they can be broken into relatively easily.