Benelli M2 20 ga. fix for tough shell loading issues

DaddyRabbit

Well, I am happy to report that I am now 110% satisfied w/my M2 20 ga. The only thing about the gun I didn't like was not having a Bionic thumb to load it with. I knew this would kill me in the cold so I asked Benelli if they could offer any suggestions toward a fix and they indicated to me that the spring diameter was increased to prevent an erroneous last shell loading issue, (no doubt a knee jerk reaction to some Clem never having cleaned his gun). Anywho, I ordered a Browning 20 ga A-5 mag spring from Midwest gun works in hopes of saving the day. Well after having shot about 3 boxes for testing purposes the gun is purfect now. No malfunctions whatsoever. A breeze to load and it shoots like a champ. M2 owners, give this a try.

Hey Tuck, it is never going to be cold in Louisburg I fear. Cold weather and snow have been voted out :( I haven't found any sweet 16's or light 20's as of late that really keep my interest. You don't know of any old A-5 box guns lurking around do ya? Whats your 10-20 anyway?

Great example of how to be creative and tweaking a small problem rather than going on about the $XXXX gun should be perfect from the factory!

When did it start getting cold in Louisburg again :confused:

Bought any Brownings this week?

• 13 years later...
On 3/1/2007 at 8:22 PM, DaddyRabbit said:

Well, I am happy to report that I am now 110% satisfied w/my M2 20 ga. The only thing about the gun I didn't like was not having a Bionic thumb to load it with. I knew this would kill me in the cold so I asked Benelli if they could offer any suggestions toward a fix and they indicated to me that the spring diameter was increased to prevent an erroneous last shell loading issue, (no doubt a knee jerk reaction to some Clem never having cleaned his gun). Anywho, I ordered a Browning 20 ga A-5 mag spring from Midwest gun works in hopes of saving the day. Well after having shot about 3 boxes for testing purposes the gun is purfect now. No malfunctions whatsoever. A breeze to load and it shoots like a champ. M2 owners, give this a try.

Would this work with my Montefeltro 20?  It is a bitch to load!

Wow, that is a 13 year necro-post...

Your Montefeltro is hard to load? Ours is an old H&K import but it is smooth as butter and with a light spring to load. But, it has never has malfunctioned.

I am not sure about your actual question. The Monte's have a smaller barrel lug than the M2 which may affect which spring will fit. I know this would certainly affect the 12 gauge, but not so sure about the 20 gauge. I know the small barrel lug is what prevents being able to utilize an extended magazine on the 12's as it is smaller than the shell diameter. So, in my opinion (only), It might fit. The safe bet would be to remove the spring and clean it and the mag tube all real well then spray it with dry lube. While in there, measure the spring length and most importantly the diameter. If it was very dirty, put it back together and try it as-is. If it wasn't dirty, find a spring with the same measurements or try cutting a coil at a time off the spring (but only if you have a source to replace the original spring first).

Monte edited.jpg

Edited by bambihunter