Several Turkey Choke Questions

csvt99

I got a SBEII last summer and am looking for a turkey choke, but I have a few questions.

First of all, I want a choke that reaches out pretty well and maintains a good pattern at say, 40 yards, but I don't want a pattern that is so tight at 15 yds that its easy to miss (espec. when you are excited). With this in mind, what constriction do I want?

Some tubes give an option of going ported or non-ported. My only concern with the ported ones is loudness. Is a ported choke tube going to hurt my ears like a rifle w/ muzzle break, or is it not as severe?

Some Briley tubes have "straight rifling", which they claim reduces swirl and helps keep the pattern consistent. Has anyone tried this? If so, how do they stack up against others?

Some chokes are formulated especially for heavy shot. Can you use plain old lead through these tubes as well?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

I just purchased a Rhino turkey choke for heavy shot (.673) and put it on my Franchi 912 Variomax 12 ga. Even at 50 yards it patterned unbelievably. It is ported, made of stainless with an acid wash to make the exterior golden brown, and is a true quality choke. No comparison with other chokes I've tried. You can shoot lead in it but it will not pattern as tight as the heavy shot. It should perform close to the same in your gun.

That Rhino sounds like a pretty good option. .673 is less constriction, correct? The only problem with the Rhino is that they are a bit pricey ~$80 right? Thats about 2x as much as a jelly head. I normally would pay extra for something better, but I have to be conscious of my budget as I'm getting married in a month and will have more bills to pay. My parents purchased the gun for me as a graduation gift (since you were probably wondering how I had a $1400 gun yet couldn't afford $40 extra :))

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased from primos.com an item #6912 SBEII .660 Jelly Head and cost me 62.00 +S&H. The winchester Supreme Elite Extended Range shells is where the $$$ cost comes to play but once ya shoot one versus a 1.00 shell you will know why they charge so much!! Literally destroys targets in comparrison to lead shells!! ya just can't shoot steel thru them!!

How in the world did I ever kill turkeys back in the early 80's using a 2-3/4" 870 with modified factory barrel and gloss finish, shooting #4 lead and wearing blue jeans and a camo jacket and cap?

As I recall, it was easier to get a tom back then than it is these days.

I wonder why?

Oh yeah, I know!

It was because the woods weren't full of camo-clad fools who read a magazine article, bought a shload of equipment, and went out and shot at birds 40 yards away!

:rolleyes:

I just purchased from primos.com an item #6912 SBEII .660 Jelly Head and cost me 62.00 +S&H. The winchester Supreme Elite Extended Range shells is where the $$$ cost comes to play but once ya shoot one versus a 1.00 shell you will know why they charge so much!! Literally destroys targets in comparrison to lead shells!! ya just can't shoot steel thru them!!

Wow, that seems expensive for a jelly head. Im suprised they charge that much when most places sell them for around $40.

Every place i have went to did not even carry this choke tube and i ordered it from their website and just lucky they had one since season is on us!! So who has them for 40 bucks? https://shop.primos.com/pc-851-78-jelly-head-choke-tube-12-ga-benelli-sbe-ii.aspx yea i probably paid a little too much but its all good!!

I would have done the exact same thing too if I was in your shoes. Check out http://www.wingsupply.com/shop/Scripts/prodViewSKU.asp?SKU=P6.

It's just surprising (to me) that a company like

primos would charge 1.5x the going rate for a product they are trying to promote.

I would have done the exact same thing too if I was in your shoes. Check out http://www.wingsupply.com/shop/Scripts/prodViewSKU.asp?SKU=P6.

primos would charge 1.5x the going rate for a product they are trying to promote.

yep i saw that but just a couple weeks too late!! hehe!! my luck is as usuall !! no luck!! like i said thanks for info and iwill Pull my Head up for air soon!! LOL!!

:confused:

You don't get it. This is an extremely common sales practice.

Primos sells primarily to dealers and distributors. Their website is set up as an accomodation to the few retail customers who can't or don't want to use the normal routes to buy their products.

Primos is not trying to compete with their customers, so the website retail price has to be higher than their regular customer's prices. Most manufacturers that sell retail on their websites use at least MSRP.

If the Primos website was cheaper than Bass Pro Shops, would BPS keep buying Primos products?

The Jellyhead has become a bit whored out though....

mudhen - CA

What about the Pure Gold or Mad Max? The Pure Gold is a bit pricey, but the constriction is a little less, which sounds good to me as I don't want to miss birds at 15 yards like my friends:rolleyes: However, the Jelly Head is only a portion of the price and proven to be one of the best. Anyone have reports on the Pure Gold?

CSVT99,

If you have a good gun shop close to you, I would check them out. We have one about one hour away from Little Rock. We took our SBElls to the shop and they worked on our forcing cones and allowed us to pattern our shotgun using their custom-made chokes. We used their ammo....even hevi-shot. The price on their custom chokes was $60. I got one for turkey hunting and one for duck hunting.

So ya talking about Bob's in Hot Springs? I am originally from Camden, Ar and used to go to a gun shope in Magnolia Ar that moved to Benton Ar in the early 70's and has probably since closed. The Gun shops name was Olives, they had a indoor gun range downstairs in Magnolia shop and that was nice if ya wanted to check out before ya bought!!

I think I finally decided to go with the Pure Gold because it has a .670 constriction which is a bit less than the jelly head .660, so it should do better at closer ranges. Its hard not to go with the jelly head since its a good price and everybody seems to have awesome results with #6s, but I think the Pure Gold will be more versitile with different shot types. Also, .670 should be tight enough considering last year I killed a 20 lb+ bird at 45 yrds with my win. 1300 using 3" #6's and the stock extra full choke! Too bad I didn't decide sooner, as I was just at Cabelas this past saturday, which seems to be the only place that sells them!

The Jelly head promotes itself by its patterns thru the SBE II and like i said there is no place in ABQ that sells the Hevi-Shot # 6912 JH Tube and me having more $$$ than brains just squeezed the trigger and 7 days later tube in hand and we were both happy until you mentioned i got took!! I could have done the google PN search a couple weeks earlier but i am sceptical about companies i know nothing about and my Credit Card # even if Visa makes it all good if a problem occurs !

hogwild, you know what they say!.........you cant take it with you when you go! i bet when you down a gobbler with that choke it will be worth every penny!!!!!!

Money not too big of an issue with me anyway and yes i will be happy when i bag that Colorado Gobbler, but i feel the choke has only a small part in the equation though it be an important one , putting that well placed shot in the correct place will allways help and the SBEII will reach out and touch one!! Friend killed one with a berreta 12 Ga 3" at 75yds with hevi-shot couple years ago, 25 lbs surprised he could walk he was so big. He also killed a Colrado Bobcat that was HUGE and is getting them mounted together as if the bobcat was lunging after the turkey as he was starting to fly!! should turn out nice!!

• 2 weeks later...