SBE2

laidback

I am new here. I bought a SBE 2 Wednesday and shot it for the first time today. First I had no cycling problems at all. It never jammed and shoots great. I shot about 50 rounds of 3" stuff through it and the only problem I encountered was a very slight delay between the second and third round. It happened quite often but every now and then it would shoot as fast as I could pull the trigger. Do you think this is a break in problem or could it be operator error. I tried to always hold the gun tight. The manual says break in is about 100 rounds. It even cycled the 1 1/8 oz dove loads when I tried them. My buddy had a brand new Mossberg auto that he brought and it wouldn't even cycle the 3" stuff. I was very proud of my Benelli.

Thanks Jim

I am new here. I bought a SBE 2 Wednesday and shot it for the first time today. First I had no cycling problems at all. It never jammed and shoots great. I shot about 50 rounds of 3" stuff through it and the only problem I encountered was a very slight delay between the second and third round. It happened quite often but every now and then it would shoot as fast as I could pull the trigger. Do you think this is a break in problem or could it be operator error. I tried to always hold the gun tight. The manual says break in is about 100 rounds. It even cycled the 1 1/8 oz dove loads when I tried them. My buddy had a brand new Mossberg auto that he brought and it wouldn't even cycle the 3" stuff. I was very proud of my Benelli.

Thanks Jim

welcome! and unless the online manual and my 03 manual are different it says no where ya have to shot 4 boxes to break gun in? also seems you know a bit of history on the function of the SBEII and benelli has a troubleshooting tree here on their sight and you failed to mention which "brand" rounds you were trying to shoot. so you have a feeding problem with 3" rounds and your buddy had same problem??12 Ga or 20Ga? let me see i am leaning towards operator error but not knowing what brand ammo i will say no but highly likely ammo issue !! I would stongly reccomend taking gun apart cleaning it and lubricating it and the manual did say use something other than light loads to do breakin and what were the spec on say the first 50 rounds? Benelli also says in manual if the rounds will not cycle they were not intended to be used in this BA shotgun!! Try the search feature on SBEII and ya will have it figured out once ya get used to an Italian firearm. I have owned one for about 4 years and it has not had one issue!! my gun dealer told me to breakin with the most powerful round i planned to shoot in it and yes it hurt$$$ and hurt my shoulder but shoots like a dream even with the light loads from walmart with NO problem!! click on customer service then upper lt side of page you will see troubleshooting and they have a decent chart here to follow and call C/S if it continues!!

Do you think this is a break in problem or could it be operator error?

Jim,

I think it could be either or a combination of both.

Clean the gun and run another 50 through it.

Hold the gun firmly against your shoulder, but not too tightly.

Too tight and stiff can be just as much of a problem as too loose can be.

Here's a link to my cleaning guide , in case you want it.

Keep us posted!

I have posted again 2 times and for some reason it won't take it. I wanted to thank ya'll for helping me. Hogwild I'm sure you are right in the fact that the Italian gun will take some getting use to. This is the first shotgun I have had other than a Remington 870 in over 30 years. The ammo I bought I must admit was some cheap 3" Winchester waterfowl loads. Would the Kent 3 1/2" be good to break the gun in with since it's what I hunt with? Like I said before the Winchester cycled good but had that little hesitation between the second and third rounds. I don't think ammo was the problem with my friends gun because it wouldn't cycle any thing. You were right Hogwild in the manual states to shoot 3 or 4 boxes of high velocity ammo if you are having problems cycling shells. I actually talked to a CS at Benelli and she told me the break in was 200 rounds. Anyway I'm going to clean it and shoot 50 rounds of good ammo through it and see what happens. Thanks again for your help.

Jim

I have posted again 2 times and for some reason it won't take it. I wanted to thank ya'll for helping me. Hogwild I'm sure you are right in the fact that the Italian gun will take some getting use to. This is the first shotgun I have had other than a Remington 870 in over 30 years. The ammo I bought I must admit was some cheap 3" Winchester waterfowl loads. Would the Kent 3 1/2" be good to break the gun in with since it's what I hunt with? Like I said before the Winchester cycled good but had that little hesitation between the second and third rounds. I don't think ammo was the problem with my friends gun because it wouldn't cycle any thing. You were right Hogwild in the manual states to shoot 3 or 4 boxes of high velocity ammo if you are having problems cycling shells. I actually talked to a CS at Benelli and she told me the break in was 200 rounds. Anyway I'm going to clean it and shoot 50 rounds of good ammo through it and see what happens. Thanks again for your help.

Jim

Kent ammo seems to be one of those ammos that the SBEII does not like, something to do with deformed brass, rounded edges not cycling basically bad batch of shells that would not let the ammo cycle? could be fixed by now but like benelli says if it will not cycle do not use it! winchester is the primary round i use but will use remington hevi-shot also, never had a bit of trouble with cycling and maybe your problem will go away! wow 200 rounds seems to be a lot but when you are shooting say trap it can go by much quickerthan 200 rounds of waterfowl rounds! for some reason my dealer said that ya wanta make sure to use the heaviest round you will ever be shooting in gun for spring memorization for the break in and sounded like i would buy a couple penny's worth! not sure if thats why i have had no problems but if it works do not fix it!! I shot only 3 boxes of hevi-shot turkey rounds and only 30 rounds but as i say never a malfunction! keep the wd-40 and remoil away from it and use a quality oil and quality ammo and ya should be GG!! Hoppes, Militec-1, FP-10 all are quality oils , i use hoppes #9 and a Browning Midas Greasein a few areas and just small quantitys of it. fixin to purchase some militec-1 just to give it a try, people say it is a good quality product, would use benneli oil but i can nnot find anyone who sells it? later

Thanks again Hogwild. I'll buy several boxes of the turkey loads and try them. Need to try several to see which one patters the best anyway. I asked CS where you could buy the Benelli oil and she said you can't as Benelli can not import it into the US. The only way you get a bottle is when you buy a new gun and they put it into the case. Makes no sense to me. I'm off the first part of the week and will get the turkey loads through the gun. I really appreciate your help.

enjoy and hope some of it made cents!! you will probably needs some adjustments if your cycling issue is still going on but you can search members post for some of mudhen's post! he has had issues with the cycling problems and his posts address some minor manipulation with a leatherman to help this problem and he has a post and some pics of those Kent shells i spoke of! also has some good turkey choke info, i just got my primos Jelly Head .660 and will be trying it shortly with some extended range winchesters for spring turkey, think i will try Colorado in april or may with a friend! i have been using a briley extended turkey choke and it patterns nice but i think this primos will be better, but ya allways need a backup and i will figure out which one it will be but that winchester 3 1/2 ER has been impressive thru the briley in comparisson to hevi-shot!! check out winchester.com and read about the ER it is impressive!! kinda expensive but the old Tom is worth every dollar!!

I shot some turkey loads the other day through the factory full choke and it was pretty impressive out to 40 yards. I'll be hunting Alabama. I may get a jelly head and see what it will do also.

I have a friend in Colorado that routinely take birds out past 40 yds and his longest was close to 80 yds with a Berretta a390 and hevi-shot and this is no B/S, he can also nail just about anything he aims at with a cheap 350.00 Bow, he hits foil pie plates in the center repeatidly at 80 yds. He has done his home work and he busted a 25 Lb Gobbler at like 75 to 80 yds with a 3" hevi-shot and is getting it mounted with a HUGE Co. Bobcat posed as if he is attacking the turkey , should be cool mount! Turkey is like a flying mount and Bobcat is lunging to eat the Turkey!! his bow has been doing him good also as far as elk and mule deer cause he is hunting Co,Wyoming, NM and has been working preff points in Utah and Colorado for hard to draw hunts! Funny thing he hardly eats anything he kills he always donates it to someone? He is a big steak fan is probably the reason and sushi!! You will not belive the holes that Winchester ER does to a target vs the hevi-shot as far as destroying the paper on exit , it is daylight and dark just shredded vs small punches with the hevi-shot!

Well I put 50 rounds of the 3 1/2" turkey loads through my SBE II yesterday and it still had the hesitation between the 2nd and 3rd shot. I called the CS department and he said the breakin period is at least 150 rounds so I have 50 more to go. I took the gun apart down to the bolt and took the firing pin out and cleaned and reoiled everything with the Benelli oil. I'll try again tomorrow after I finish turkey hunting.

Well I put 50 rounds of the 3 1/2" turkey loads through my SBE II yesterday and it still had the hesitation between the 2nd and 3rd shot. I called the CS department and he said the breakin period is at least 150 rounds so I have 50 more to go. I took the gun apart down to the bolt and took the firing pin out and cleaned and reoiled everything with the Benelli oil. I'll try again tomorrow after I finish turkey hunting.

My dealear told me that it was important to shoot the most powerfull rounds planned to be shoot in gun FIRST so the spring would memorize something? guess force on spring and was told to NOT shoot light loads in it first? seemed nonsence to me but my SBEII had only 30 3 1/2 turkey hevi-shots fired and i have had NO cycling issues?? i would call that good advice from dealer MAYBE!!LOL i think next time i called Benelli i would ask them this same question and see if they think the spring would be messed up IF you shot light loads in it first? What shells are you using and what parts are you oiling/lubricating and did they say anything might need small adjustment to slove this issue?

I actually shot those 3" shells through it first. I told him that and he said the 3" shells were fine to break the gun in with. He said the gun comes packed with grease and felt sure cleaning it would solve the problem. I oiled the bolt, trigger, and rails mainly very sparingly with the Benelli oil. I didn't get a chance to shoot it again today but will this weekend. Both CSR's told me they had no doubt this was not going to be a problem. I shot all 3 1/2" turkey loads of different kinds to see what got the best group. Of course the heavy 13 did this since it's $17 for 5 shells in Alabama. The other was Federal Premium,Remington Nitro and Winchester of some kind but not the extended range.

I shot some turkey loads the other day through the factory full choke and it was pretty impressive out to 40 yards. I'll be hunting Alabama. I may get a jelly head and see what it will do also.

Fellow Alabamaian....

I took the advice of others here on this message board and put the jellyhead .660 on my SBEII and shot the winchest X-range #6's through it. At 20 yds, it blew a hole in the paper, impossible to count the holes. 40 yds my factory Benelli choke put about 16 pellets in the turkey kill zone (neck and head), with the jellyhead it put over 60. I was still getting 15-20 pellets in the kill zone all the way out to 60 yds.

The only thing that makes me nervous is it might throw to good of a pattern and I might miss a close one.

Hope that helps.

Fellow Alabamaian....

I took the advice of others here on this message board and put the jellyhead .660 on my SBEII and shot the winchest X-range #6's through it. At 20 yds, it blew a hole in the paper, impossible to count the holes. 40 yds my factory Benelli choke put about 16 pellets in the turkey kill zone (neck and head), with the jellyhead it put over 60. I was still getting 15-20 pellets in the kill zone all the way out to 60 yds.

The only thing that makes me nervous is it might throw to good of a pattern and I might miss a close one.

Hope that helps.

what did you expect it to do at 20 yds? ER Win is some mean stuff and it will do the same paper destroying out to 50+ yds , if thats too tight just use a full choke with it for closer shots! or aim lower with jelly head!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes just break it in and you will have no troubles. I had similar problems but at times I was not mounting the gun correctly to work the inertia system properly. I too had problems with some Kent rounds but after the second season all my rounds shot great with no problems. I did do a lot of trap shooting in the summer so when the fall came by SBE II had not one malfuction.

I own Nova, SBE II and M4... Once you go Benelli you wont go back!!!