What should I do?

Liberty or death Jr.

I originally wanted to wait to get a Pudel pointer, and still do, but today, (my mom works at the vet clinic) a guys weimeriner female just had some Weim/lab puppies. The Weim is a purebred and is from top hunting bloodlines, the male lab, we don't know anything about yet. The puppies were an accident so he is giving them away, my parents think it would be wise to get one of these and not spend $1000 on a dog, (the cost of the PP) I'm just wondering what you all would do, I'm going to go see them tomarrow. Thanks

I agree with your parents.

Papers don't flush, point, and retrieve... dogs do!

This will also give you the opportunity to learn to work with and care for a dog, without investing $1,000.

Not that you're not going to care for it, but you can kind of get your feet wet with this one.

If things go well, you'll have a great dog.

If not, you'll have experience and $1000 towards the next one.

Get it, one can never have enough dogs just like guns. and realy you can take that 1k and put it tward pro training.

dad tried to train our lab and well it just never happened. the dicipline and stamina and time required he just couldn't put in, the dog would fetch and play ball and stuff but he never liked the birds. or the guns.

I agree with your parents.

Papers don't flush, point, and retrieve... dogs do!

This will also give you the opportunity to learn to work with and care for a dog, without investing $1,000.

Not that you're not going to care for it, but you can kind of get your feet wet with this one.

If things go well, you'll have a great dog.

If not, you'll have experience and $1000 towards the next one.

great advice!

Well, I got him, hes skittish already, likes to hide a lot, but this is his first day with me and third day of not being with his mother. He is whining a lot and trying to chew on the couch but not on rawhides. He loves playing outside and already likes my sister better then he likes me. I'm gonna see if he will warm up in the next few days.

One thing that is nice though, he hasn't used the bathroom in the house yet, but he has pissed in the yard 5 times already. I'll get pictures later, maybe tomarrow.

I have trained my lab and it's not hard to do if you have good breeding. I spend about 10 minutes at a time twice a day and at 7 months old he is jam up. I had six puppies born in the litter and all of them are turning out to be super dogs. One of them worked everyday in a duck blind in Arkansas from the time he was 4 months old and made several 90 yard water retrieves on geese. I could go on with stories about each one but my point is the breeding is the difference. My gyp is out of a $1000 litter and I paid $500 stud fee. I have a good friend who bought a reg. lab for $50 and he is nothing but a big lazy pet. Papers do not make a good dog but good breeding does. If the dam and sire of your puppy are good working dogs you shouldn't have any trouble training him. Good luck.

Get some good books to help you. They will take you from day one until you have a finished dog. I like the "10 Minute Retriever" but there are several good ones out there. He should be fine once he gets use to his new home.Obedience is the basic for all other training. Work on sit,heel,stay, and kennel.Of course he is to young for some of it but some things you can work on every day now. Start with short retrieves in the house as a fun game. Never do more than three at a time. This builds their desire to retrieve. Always make it fun and really pump him up with praise. He will eventually build burning desire to please you. Never work him more than 10 minutes at the time as this is about the max for his attention span. It will surprise you how easy it will be to train him and how little time it can be done in.