Meet Tank!

Liberty or death Jr.

Thanks, I'm very pleased with him, he has pissed in the house once, but every other time has been outside and he has used the bathroom 8 times since yesterday. Thats pretty good for only being away from momma for 3 days. He also whines when he needs to go out, responds to his name, and comes to me and only me. And I have only had him since yesterday afternoon.

What do you mean tuck? My uncle who is a professional dog trainer suggested I sleep with him for the next three months, house train him, work on sit and stay and in a few weeks start working with him in the house retrieving with a choker chain and a leash. I don't have any kennel or anything, I could tie him up I suppose, but I would rather not.

He has started his chewing process, trys chewing on the couch, table legs, chairs, boxs, anything but the rawhides.

I started mine out with banging his food dishes together (metal dishes). He got so he associated the loud noises with food and so he was comfortable with it. Any time I was working outside and knew I was going to be hammering or whatever I kept an eye on him and he always seemed fine.

When we introduced him to the gun during training he never flinched. The gun fire became associated with "birds" and he's got no problem with it at all. I'm no expert but it worked for me. I'm not sure I'd be making "surprise" noises with a puppy though - seems like he'll feel safer if he knows what's up rather than BANG! Surprise Herbert! Hope that didn't scare you buddy!

Good looking pup, by the way. He ain't a Pudel Pointer, and I was SO excited to see your your pup, but this one was the right price and will be a great hunting companion.

A trainer told me raising a lab in the house is the best think you can do. It builds a bond between you and the dog that can not be built with him staying in a kennel. My lab has stayed in the house from the day he was born and I promise you he is a jam up retriever at 7 months old. He knows the difference between work time and play time and when I get the bumpers or a duck and gun out he goes crazy. You got a great looking dog.

Yeah, he ain't a PP, but I think if I train him right, he is going to be a great hunting dog, plus there is a chance that he will be a pointer, his mom is pointer. My uncle told me to sleep with him, and its working. But there is a down side, I am a 7 o'clock man, now that I have this pup and I'm babysitting my uncles pup, I am a 5 o'clock man, I don't like it.

I didn't worry about gun shy until my pup was about 4 months old. At that time my I let my wife hold Rascal while I stood about 40 yards away and shot a 12 gauge with dove loads and threw a bumper for him to retrieve. He had no reaction whatsoever to the gun so I gradually moved closer. It didn't take but about 7 or 8 shots and I was shooting over him. The sound of the gun actually turns him on. If I had noticed a reaction at 40 yards I would have moved out to 50 and so on until he paid no attention but concentrated only on retrieving the bumper. Then I would have worked my way closer.

I was always told to keep hunting dogs putside so they get acclemated to the cold. if they are inside all the time and used to the heat, as soon as they getoutside in the cold they're goin get cold real quick and not want to hunt.

This is what I was told you can do what ever you like.

Congrats on the new pup!!

I think keeping a dog in doors helps create a more personal bond. You and your pup get to interact more and you develop a bond that last a lifetime. All my dogs are indoor dogs and mind very well. They mind because they received the correct discipline at the right time. They learn rules and limits. They also learn what kind of behavior is tolerated and what is not. I think all those things carry over into the field.

Also, don't foget to get him to a vet and get his shots and puppy check up. Parvo is a killer. And when it doesn't kill its usually very expensive to treat, $1000+ at some clinics. Its stupid not get the shots and other vaccinations. They work very well and are inexpensive.

Last note, if you don't plan on breeding him. Have him neutered. If you do plan on breeding him make sure his hips and cleared by OFA and his eyes are good.

Good luck and we hope to see some more pics of Tank bringing back the birds.

Thanks Webfoot, I know what you mean by Parvo, my mom has seen a couple dogs die from it and a couple go through **** to live through it. I get my shots at cost, which is less then a quarter of the cost of the shot if my mom wasn't working at the vet. He is getting neutered next week, and he has had his first parvo vaccination, he gets his next parvo set next month. He is already a great dog, took to potty training extremely well, and he is attacking the wing on a string really well, which I was told was a great sign.

My Lab was recently diagnosed with Lymes disease, and if you have the chance as the gets older maybe consider the vaccine. The vaccine is not 100% reliable but it might ward off some chances of your dog getting Lymes. My vet did not reccomend it when my dog was new, and after he got Lymes I got a new vet. The shot is cheap but the diagnosis and treatment is expensive, could have bought a new shotgun over this bill easy. Just somthing to consider.