Southeast Birds Not Gobling

BARTMAN

was out scouting in southeast NC this past Friday and one gobbled at some crows calling overhead... definitely planned on being back at that spot opening day Saturday.

We've had a cold streak too since then, though, so i don't know if that'll change things.

I have been hearing some gobbling birds her in WI, also spotted a few groups in fields last weekend. Problem here is we are in the midst of a big cold snap with snow on the ground, hope it warms up a bit before my 4/18 - 4/22 slot time. More snow in the forcast this week, may be a few more inches possible.

burrrr

i have hunted till noon so far. tomorrow i am not going out till 4pm b/c the land owners i hunt on are seeing the birds between 4:00-6:30 pm in the open fields on the place. last weekend it was cold here and this weekend looks like cold and lots of rain......bummer

finally connected with a gobbler saturday eve. he came in picture perfect and my friend and i got the whole hunt on video. 21lbs 10" beard and 7/8" spurs. my best bird to date. i will post some pics soon. gotta love the stoeger+jellyhead

thanks, i have to talk him out of a video. he videos all our yote hunts and decided to try some turkey hunts this weekend. it is cool to be able to go back and look at the hunt. we got him on video in full strut for over 100yds coming into to four decoys. if i would have not got so excited and shot him i think he was headed to whoop up on one of the jake decoys.

I got to go home to Alabama three days after the season opened. For the next three days I hunted morning and afternoons. During that whole time I saw plenty of sign and birds (hens). The toms pulled a disappearing act, though we found fresh scat. All three days we never heard a gobble. even the hens were quiet as they fed through around us. By the way the temperature each day was in the high 70's and the lows were mid 50's. Perfect turkey hunting weather, just could not get a response from the birds.