Drop shims and recoil

CraigL

How do I know what drop shims to use and how the gun should fit?

I spent the day shooting a variety of 3" and 3 1/2" shells and the recoil is more than what I expexted from an SBE II.

Will the proper drop shim help reduce recoil?

Manual explains pretty good

Don't ya love it!!!

No just moves pattern up and down?

Let me know if adjusting the shims changes your point of impact vs your point of aim. I read my manual about 100 times and I get the impression that the shims change the drop of the stock thereby changing your view down the rib/barrel. I've used every shim combination and it didn't change my point of impact. It DID make a nice difference in my sight picture.

Get used to the recoil. Again, in my humble experience, changing shims didn't change the felt recoil.

That manual is terrible! My $250.00 Summit tree stand came with a crap manual also, BUT it had a DVD.

For $1400.00 they should give the other comb inserts, a DVD, and every shop should fit the gun to you.

So what other shotgun company does the stuff you were speaking of ? Benelli does have issues with manuals but being an Italian Shotgun and their explanations of their manual is unusual to say the least but, most people once they get used to the gun can get used to the manual as if most read it anyway? Some gun shops will fit you to your gun but would be reluctant to say they would not charge ya for it!! Shims affecting recoil? nuff said!!

I'm with you Craig. I've read the manual so many times it's almost commited to memory. One example of confusion is that some people think the SX or DX refer to right-handed or left-handed shooters. My interpretation is that SX and DX refer to the direction of cant that the shim gives the stock and has nothing to do with which shoulder you use. They are big on pictures though....

Cant has everything to do with whether you shoot right-handed or left-handed.

These shims and their installation have been discussed here many, many times.

Use the search feature and find the information, or follow the instructions in the manual.

As others have suggested, there are many variables which can affect the POA/POI relationship.

Most of them lie with the shooter, how he shoulders the gun, sights the gun, and fires the gun.

I'm with you Craig. I've read the manual so many times it's almost commited to memory. One example of confusion is that some people think the SX or DX refer to right-handed or left-handed shooters. My interpretation is that SX and DX refer to the direction of cant that the shim gives the stock and has nothing to do with which shoulder you use. They are big on pictures though....

http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/fit.html cast off=offset of stock to the right while stock sits on rt shoulder

cast on= offset to the left for stock setting on left shoulder:)