SBEII Faile at critical moment!

CraigL

I drove out to Ohio for their spring opener. I called in a nice long beard at 11:00 AM, my shot had to be threaded between some trees and though a small amount of brush. I shot and the bird rolled and started to take flight. This time the red dot was dead on him at 25 yards with a clear flying away shot. I pulled the trigger and nothing.

The gun double fed and jammed. My first shot on bird with my SBEII and it jammed. My 870 never failed me.

I drove out to Ohio for their spring opener. I called in a nice long beard at 11:00 AM, my shot had to be threaded between some trees and though a small amount of brush. I shot and the bird rolled and started to take flight. This time the red dot was dead on him at 25 yards with a clear flying away shot. I pulled the trigger and nothing.

The gun double fed and jammed. My first shot on bird with my SBEII and it jammed. My 870 never failed me.

I think your story smells of operator error.

First, you missed your first shot. You admit it was a risky shot. You said the bird rolled. This indicates a body shot. You made a bad shot. It happens. Too bad as it probably was hit and later died from internal injuries. Maybe wait for a clear shot next time?

So now the bird is in the air and you attempt a second shot? A flying shot with a red dot? Sounds like a risky shot, but that's just my take.

Then you add the gun double fed. That can happen. I had two full cases of defective Kent Matrix that would release from the magazine without warning. The brass was not correctly made. What shells were you shooting? I would take the gun out and test shoot more shells. If it double feeds again, contact Benelli CS.

A Benelli can also double feed when you hit the cartridge release lever.

You story sounds fishy. I don't believe the gun malfunctioned, I think you did :)

I think you should go back to your 870 and sell the SBE II.