Questions on sighting in shotguns?

CraigL

I sighted in my gun, but I want to make sure I did it right since a shot gun with pellets is a lot different than a rifle.

What yardage do I start at?

Can I use field/target loads to sight and have the same POI with the expensive loads.

I have an SBEII with a Rhino.660 choke. I will be hunting with Win XR 3 or 3 1/2 inch depending on pattern with #6 shot.

I am not sure if this is the right way or not, but my shotguns all have ghost ring sights on them. I take slugs and shoot them at targets from 25 to 50 yards. Once my slugs are on target, I have no worries that my buck shot will do the same and closer ranges.

I have sighted in a couple of shotguns with opticle sights by starting out with light game loads.There are some differences in where the patterns center between the loads,but it has never taken me more than 2 heavy loads ( 3 1/2 in.) to get on center after starting light. Yardage depends on what your going to regularly shoot at. For turkey I like to zero at 40, shoot one at 50, and one at 15-20 in case I get one close. I do this any time I change loads, Hope this helps.