Pure Gold Results

csvt99

Did some shooting yesterday. SBE II 24" barrel, Pure Gold .670.

3" No. 6s Winchester Supreme: 192-220 pellets in 10" circle @ 30yds

3.5" No. 5s Winchester Supreme: 66 pellets in 10" circle @ 40yds

@ 20 yards entire pattern fit in approx. 14" circle

What do you think? Should I keep the choke? I do have pics but not sure if I can get them up today or not. It was shooting a bit to the right so I'll have to look into trying the shims.

Thanks

Doesn't sound that good to me. Probably good enough for close shots though.

There are 450+- #6's in that load, so you are at around 50% at 30 yards. I'd expect 60-70%+ at 30 yards.

There are 340+- #5's in that load, so 66 pellets is only 19%. I wouldn't take a 19% gun in the field, it's asking for a miss or cripple.

I do not hear of many Benelli shooters using .670 with lead. .660 is peferred.

.670 can be good with Hevi Shot though.

Well, what I can do is return the pure gold and order a Jelly Head, or I could try heavy shot. Problem is, I don't plan on shooting it since its so expensive. I guess I should decide soon since I need to return it in the next couple of days to get the refund.

How does the .660 do close up? I thought the pure gold was plenty tight putting the entire pattern in a 12-14" circle at 20 yards (I would say about 85% was in an 8" circle)

Well, what I can do is return the pure gold and order a Jelly Head, or I could try heavy shot. Problem is, I don't plan on shooting it since its so expensive. I guess I should decide soon since I need to return it in the next couple of days to get the refund.

How does the .660 do close up? I thought the pure gold was plenty tight putting the entire pattern in a 12-14" circle at 20 yards (I would say about 85% was in an 8" circle)

As to Hevi Shot, I don't generally place a price tag on the best equipment, so I don't know how to reply to that. For turkeys, I might shoot 10-20 shells per season, so price is really not a consideration for me. I might shoot a 10 gauge next season with custom Nitro 10 gauge loads that run $100+ per 10 :eek:

For waterfowl, where I might shoot 2000 shells in a good season, price is certainly more of a consideration.

I've had no problem with .660 up close, but what do I know :confused:

If all my shots were guaranteed to be at 20 yards, I wouldn't buy a turkey choke, I'd shoot the factory full or maybe even modified.

Thanks for the advice Mudhen. Most of my shots are longer distances, as I hunt in fairly open terrain. Also, while the pattern will be tighter at closer ranges, the bird will also be closer, which should make it a bit easier to hit, right ? :)

I'll be heading to the hills in the next 2 weeks, so if I can't get my hands on some heavy shot quickly, then I guess I'll just order a JH .660

Mudhen,

Are you basing your hits from the 8.5 x 13.5 sheet? If you are, I would need to adjust mine for comparison since I was using a 10" circle, which has less area. This being said, I could either multiply my numbers by 1.45 or draw an 8.5 x 11.5 box around the bullseye and recount (this would be more acurate)

I guess it still wouldn't make that much of a difference though

Mudhen,

Are you basing your hits from the 8.5 x 13.5 sheet? If you are, I would need to adjust mine for comparison since I was using a 10" circle, which has less area. This being said, I could either multiply my numbers by 1.45 or draw an 8.5 x 11.5 box around the bullseye and recount (this would be more acurate)

I guess it still wouldn't make that much of a difference though

It might make some difference, but I don't think you break 90-95 even at 13.5 x 8.

If you look at the photos, each show that I used the 13.5 x 8.5, which is approximately 70% the area of a 10" circle.

The vertical target makes sense for me because it includes the vitals of a turkey's head and neck, which a circle does not. Those hits at the base of the neck are most deadly and desirable.

I did not add in any hits that might have been doubles. I know there are many of those, but without gel blocks, I can't be certain, so I don't include them.

Try as you might to improve them on paper, I think your patterns are pretty poor. They look pretty spread out and more like a waterfowl pattern than a turkey pattern. We don't know what the lead #6's did at 40 because you didn't post any results.

I looked at some of my XR #5 patterns and at worst, I'm getting 100-120 pellets in the 10" circle at 40 yards. At worst.

I'd try a .660 or hold out for very close shots...

Thanks for the advice, I just orded a .660 Jelly Head. I agree about with you about the more verticle shooting area, since the head and neck is what you aim for. I think I will aim at the base of the neck since my pattern is a bit high. Maybe I'll try using the 8x 13 dimensions on my next target.

you will not be happy untill you pony up for the correct ammo!! you can shoot that cheaper ammo till they quit making it and it still will not pattern like the expensive ammo!! That is why the charge so much for it cause it is hands down 3 times as good as the cheaper ammo!!:)

Well, I have several friends that tried heavy shot and all of them went back to lead. The Winchester XRs seem to do pretty well, thats what I would get if I was going to spend the big bucks. Not sure if the XRs have the properties of heavy shot or lead though.

Well, I have several friends that tried heavy shot and all of them went back to lead. The Winchester XRs seem to do pretty well, thats what I would get if I was going to spend the big bucks. Not sure if the XRs have the properties of heavy shot or lead though.

Hevi-shot is better than lead and winchester xr are maybe just a tad better than hevi-shot, their pellets are round compared to the deformed hevi-shot pellets. XR properties are better just pattern them both and you will have no other questions unless you use a choke that does not like them! Lotta pattern issues will be solved by choke selection and ammo selection is a part of the equation!! Jelly Heads and XR pattern well together and i will not waste anymore money looking for an improvement. Federal seems to have a new HV round that's doing good but pattern several combinations and let the pattern board tell you which one you think is the best!!

The reason I was asking is for safety issues. Pure gold claims you shouldn't shoot heavy shot out of any choke tighter than .670, as a result of extensive testing they've done. Would this apply to the XRs as well? I would be a bit hesitant to shoot HS out of the .660 jelly head for this reason. At this point I don't know who/what to believe, but I do know its not worth risking it for safety.

The reason I was asking is for safety issues. Pure gold claims you shouldn't shoot heavy shot out of any choke tighter than .670, as a result of extensive testing they've done. Would this apply to the XRs as well? I would be a bit hesitant to shoot HS out of the .660 jelly head for this reason. At this point I don't know who/what to believe, but I do know its not worth risking it for safety.

The Jelly Head is GTG with hevi-shot or clones ie Winchester XR, just no steel!! hevi shot just claims you get no benefit from using a tighter constriction, have not seen any cautions about gun damadge unless ya use wrong choke tube but i shoot the JH Model 6912 and thats what its made for .660, hevi shot and winchester XR are similar but not same !! call primos for questions 1-800-622-8076 option 4:) Pure Gold does not want you to use it thru their tube and from what i have been reading their tube is not giving you good patterns anyway? different manufacturers require different constrictions vs loads and Primos has no issues with Winchester XR and their .660 tube. the pure gold tube i saw .670 constriction is marked as LEAD only shot!!

They most likely went back because they did not know what they were doing. HS and it's clones are superior in every way to lead. More expensive for sure, but vastly superior in every ballistic category.

.670 is the preferred constriction for HS. Anything tighter can lead to blown patterns. .660 is the preferred constriction for lead and XR. XR is pretty hard, but it likes the .660. Primos says there is no issue with HS or clones in it's chokes.

Pure Golds are wad-strippers. Any tighter and the stripping feature will not work as designed. I see no safety warning on PG's website.

Jellyheads are constriction chokes and can handle all types of shots.

Sounds like you need to do some of your own homework. You appear to be somewhat lost...

I thought all of the ported chokes are designed to strip the wad. The Jelly Head claims the porting is supposed to vent the gases and prevent from "blowing through the shot" behind the shot. Isn't this what strips the wad?

I feel my main problem is that I've actually done too much research. On this forum, I read that .660 JH or Rhino is the way to go. On others I read that Pure Gold is the way to go, and other claim the JH may not be safe with Heavy Shot. I am not a gunsmith, so its hard for me to tell good information from bad or more likely "arbitrary". Unfortunately, this is often the problem with the internet, deciphering the good info from the bad :rolleyes:

As for now, I'll pattern the JH when it comes and see how that does. If I don't like it, then I'll just have to go back to my trusty ol' Winchester 1300 NWTF gun, at least for this season anyway.

If you don't like the JH get a Rhino. It's one of the best decisions I have made as far as guns go.

If you want some seriously dense, tight patterns with some umph try Nitro Ammunition's triplex loads with Hevi Shot.

I thought all of the ported chokes are designed to strip the wad.

I think this is generally incorrect.

Different choke manufacturers make different claims.

I did read that pure Gold claims their ports strip wads.

Primos claims their ports vent gas to keep the gas from blowing a pattern and to reduce muzzle jump and felt recoil.

Pattern Master uses internal studs to grab the wad. They also port their tubes, presumably to vent off gas for whatever reason.

Most of the choke makers I have heard of claim to use porting to vent gas in order to reduce muzzle jump and reduce felt recoil.

Pure Gold is the only one I have read about that claims their porting strips wads. I don't doubt them one bit, it's just that most others do not make that claim.

Only problem with people claiming their tubes are better than everyone elses is that untill ya pattern an individual choke to your shotgun you have an unknown! Being every shotgun will pattern a single choke differntly, you can have 3 SBEII's setting on table and use same choke on all 3 and end up with different patterns on all 3! Ya also gotta swap ammo thru different tubes to get the best pattern!!The wad stripping is blown outta proportion seems to me because the flutting/porting will do the same function as the strippers, the pattern board will tell you which choke is performing best in any given shotgun and tell which marketing claims are BS!! Pattern board does not BS unless winds blowing really hard and your patterning way out their!! 50+ yds and Albuquerque afternoon winds!!:eek:

And the benefit to striping the wad is.... more consistant pattern?

Yes.

A wad tumbling through the pattern can alter the pattern.

You can read up about this theory on many websites. Pure Gold's website has a pretty good photos, so does Pattern Master.

The info is out there for those willing to look for it....