Gun is shooting to the right, what to do??

csvt99

I patterned my SBE II the other day with a pure gold choke tube and found that it is shooting slightly to the right. I thought I could fix this with the shims, but from what I've read you can only go up and down with them. Is there anything I can do to get it to shoot on target?

I glanced over the manual quickly but didn't see anything about changing left to right. I'll read more carefully tonight. First I'll try the Jelly Head I just ordered and factory chokes to see if its the gun or just the choke.

No I have not. Everything I've read claims shims only change the vertical position of the shot, not horizontal.

You shoot right handed or left handed? thas what the cast shims address. have you been shouldering your gun a different way to address this issue?

I shoot right handed. At this point, I have not adjusted anything, still shouldering the same as I naturally/instinctively would. Should I try the cast shims?

Look in your shim package and see which cast shim is in package and that will tell you which is installed but i would take apart cause it's easy to start with and you never know who put the shim in!! manual tells you which shim for right handed and left handed!! corresponding shim should be installed! chances are that the correct shim is installed but ya never know unless ya pull apart and look, only takes 10 minutes!!:) are ya right eye dominant? If you are right handed i would leave the DX Cast off shim in!

Yes I am right handed and right eye dominant, although I shoot with both eyes open (not sure if that makes a difference). I'll check which shim is in there as soon as I can, since you never know like you said. Afterall, the gun did come with a completely unmarked choke tube :rolleyes:

Yes I am right handed and right eye dominant, although I shoot with both eyes open (not sure if that makes a difference). I'll check which shim is in there as soon as I can, since you never know like you said. Afterall, the gun did come with a completely unmarked choke tube :rolleyes:

Some people say trulock make OEM tubes?

the pure gold choke tube .670 constriction is a lead only tube! thats why they said no hevi-shot!!

You are saying that is the correct set up for a right hand gun, so I should check and make sure mine is the same? Also, pure gold claims their tubes are good for heavy shot. Although I did find it interesting that some places online listed it as lead only. Cabelas says all Pure Gold chokes are Heavy Shot compatibale. Like I said, I don't know who to believe.

You are saying that is the correct set up for a right hand gun, so I should check and make sure mine is the same? Also, pure gold claims their tubes are good for heavy shot. Although I did find it interesting that some places online listed it as lead only. Cabelas says all Pure Gold chokes are Heavy Shot compatibale. Like I said, I don't know who to believe.

This is the setup i have and no problems, the sight i looked said lead only but i see whatyou have said and they say Hevi shot compatable? anyway i feel your tube just does not like your gun and have not heard many people mention patterning this tube? can't remember the sight i read lead only but i will research it thru my history page and see what happened? If the package.website says ok ya should be GTG!! you mentioned tubes that came with gun had no markings? just go to online catalog and they explain it with the slots on the top of the tubes in the manual in the choke section! http://www.wingsupply.com/shop/Scripts/prodViewSKU.asp?SKU=PGCHOKE this is what i saw and if it's a different Part # than the one you have you are GTG!! here is where i would go to figure which choke would be the correct one!! http://www.gameacc.net/

Called wing supply and they said that the one on the website had been dicontinued? either way the package should say what it was compatable for and if ya going to shoot cheaper lead only shot, this is what you would use! but the JH shoots everything except steel!

Ok, what you have is NOT choke related, but stock related! Your shooting to the right. You stock needs to be inletted (bent to the left). Your stock is your rear sight on a shotgun. Move stock right, gun shoots right, move stock left gun shoots left. guess what happens when you move the stock up, i.e., go from a d shim and plate to a c or b. Yep, you guessed it- pattern moves up. This is not ROCKET SCIENCE and I am certainly not NASA MATERIAL; however, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Really, no sh*t, I did.

Also check your eye dominence. Take your index finger and like a front sight, with BOTH eyes open line your finger up with a small object across the room. Close your left eye, hopefully your finger is right on the "target", if not your cross side dominant and need to shoot with cast-on in your stock- like a left hander would. With a Benelli you would need to turn your shim and plate to the other side, I can't remember if its SX or DX because when I bought my Benelli's they didn't have a proviso for cast-on. The cast-off or cast-on with the shim will only give very marginal POI change laterally however. Most shooters will end up inletting the stock to get on target. This is only important if you are shooting moving targets at 35+ yards or more. The farther your target is, the greater your error will be. This applys to tighter choke constrictions as well. A person that has a well fit shootgun can hit targets consistantly out to 50-60 yards with practice and a 12 ga. with trap loads. If you are shooting a PG at stationary or slow moving targets you gun fit becomes much less important because your can compensate be crawling into the stock like a rifle or use sights or optics to change POI; however, you will still have much more felt recoil with an ill fitting gun, i.e. knock the sh*t out of your cheek or jaw. Just my .02.

Got the new choke, and it seems to be shooting better. I only had a chance to shoot twice- once at 40 yards and once at 20. At 40 yards the pattern was shooting a tad to the right but nothing that would concern me considering it is a shotgun. My results were far better than the Pure Gold that was shooting significantly to the right. I'll be taking it out this weekend and hopefully I'll be able to let ya know how it does!

Got the new choke, and it seems to be shooting better. I only had a chance to shoot twice- once at 40 yards and once at 20. At 40 yards the pattern was shooting a tad to the right but nothing that would concern me considering it is a shotgun. My results were far better than the Pure Gold that was shooting significantly to the right. I'll be taking it out this weekend and hopefully I'll be able to let ya know how it does!

Good deal!