New to shooting

smileyman

Hello all,

I am new to shooting . I am looking for a "all around" shotgun. All my friends have recomended a 11-87. But I have

been interested in Benelli because it felt better in my hands ( at the store ) than the 11-87 .

Like I stated above I am a beginer in the shooting relm and would like some guideance,Please.

I will be using the gun more for "skeet / clays and bird hunting ,But would still like to use it if my buddies call and want to go turkey hunting !?!

I am interested in a 12 guage , That is all the info. I know to add to my question ,If I left something out please let me know.

Any and all help will be greatly appricaited.

Thanks,

Robert

1. What gun have been shooting?
  2. What do like about it? What do you dislike about it?
  3. Have you disassembled and cleaned any shotguns?
  4. How tall are you?
  5. How big are you?
  6. How strong are you?
  7. Are you bothered by recoil?
  8. Are you right-handed or left-handed?
  9. You like the way the Benelli feels. Please elaborate. Is it the weight, the fit, pointability or all?
  10. Do you understand the essential differences between gas-operated guns and inertia-operated guns?

1. What gun have been shooting? Winceshter 1300 black shadow
  2. What do like about it? What do you dislike about it? I like this gun but would like to "move up"
  3. Have you disassembled and cleaned any shotguns? Yes I have field stripped and cleaned my gun several times.not always in that order (ha ha )
  4. How tall are you? 5'6"
  5. How big are you? 170
  6. How strong are you? pound for pound strongest in the gym !
  7. Are you bothered by recoil? No ,but must I have a gun that kicks like a mule ?
  8. Are you right-handed or left-handed? Left with left eye dominant
  9. You like the way the Benelli feels. Please elaborate. Is it the weight, the fit, pointability or all? The weight did feel good / balanced ? when taking the gun from a neutral postion then into a "firing" position the gun seemed to self level or drop into postion rather well ? again I have not shot this gun this is just store simulaton.
  10. Do you understand the essential differences between gas-operated guns and inertia-operated guns? No please help me understand this more.

Thanks again for all the help... I know it is very difficult to give advise on something of this nature, But all the input I can get hopefully will help / guide me in the right direction on my next gun purchase.

Robert

Ok, so you're smallish, but strong and in good shape.

Benelli offers shorter recoil pads for us shorter fellows.

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/partsAccessoriesPads.tpl

Benelli makes some great selections in LH models, so you're in the right place with regards to that. You can also change the cast on a RH model, using supplied shims and plates, to better fit a LH shooter.

Inertia guns use kinetic energy from recoil to cycle the action.

Overall, the system can be very reliable and easy to maintain. However, since the system does rely on recoil, there can be problems if the gun isn't shouldered properly or if light loads are used.

All Benelli semi-automatic sporting guns are inertia (recoil) operated.

Benelli guns are also lightweight guns. Weight is the only thing an inertia gun has to scrub off recoil before it reaches the buttpad. A good pad can further dissipate recoil through compression. A mercury recoil reducer can add weight and uses some kinetic energy to lessen recoil when using heavier loads, but it may make cycling of lighter loads unreliable.

Gas operated guns divert a portion of the muzzle blast energy back into the bolt to cycle the action. Since gas is diverted from the muzzle, there is less actual recoil and therefore less felt recoil.

Gas guns are a little heavier and have more moving parts, and typically require more maintenance .

By far we see more new owners complaining about the recoil of the Benellis than any other factor.

It's simple physics.

The lighter the gun, the less recoil will be scrubbed off setting the gun into motion.

At this point, I would strongly recommend that you shoot a Benelli or two before spending money on one.

I'm 5'9 and probably not in as good physical condition as are you, but the recoil of my 3.5" hardly ever bothers me.

I don't shoot much target, so when I'm shooting, I'm killing... or at least trying to.

If I shot a lot of clays, I'd probably get a gas gun for that.

Get an M2...26". I just did about 2 months ago and have 500 rounds through it. Awesome. I went with the M2 over the SBE II for reasons which seem like they would apply to you as well.

I want it primarily for pheasants and trap shooting. With lighter trap/clays loads, the M2 is less likely to have cycling issues than the 3-1/2 inch capable SBE II.

I do hunt turkeys as well, but I've got my Browning pump all set up for that......still like having the M2 as a turkey option, though, and 3" loads are more than enough in my opinion, if your aim is on the money.

With your situation, I'd just be a bit concerned that the SBE II might not cycle 1 oz. trap/clays loads each and every time, but the M2 will....

Jeff.

Dang Tuck, you're a tough old coot aren't you? I know a bunch of older rich guys at the lodge I work for, they are always complaining about recoil, they always bring 20's and 28's for pheasant. They hate the 3-1/2" for geese. I'm about the same size as you, 5' - 9" Don't know how much you weigh but I weigh about 200-210 lbs. I too am not bothered by recoil.