EOTech 553 versus Aimpoint Micro T-1

topcover

Good Evening,

After the M80 forend, my next M4 upgrade is a new HWS/sight. Last week I got a taste of the EOTech 553 and it is a dream. Has anyone got to look through/use an Aimpoint Micro T-1 yet? Without even seeing the T-1, I'm already 97% in favor of the 553. What does everone else think (and my main use for the M4 is CQB with brown/polar/black bears, personal defense and the odd assignment to hotspots)?

-x

I have an EO-Tech 550/AA on my duty M-4. (Along with a bunch of other goodies) I've used it for several months now and even through an advanced tactical shotgun instructor's school. There is no comparison for the durability, reliability, quality of this unit. There's no Aimpoint or Trij. that can touch this sight for CQB deployment....... Hands Down...... Bar None

Lawman, sounds like you really like the EOTech. I had a Tasco holosight (which I thought was the basic patented design that EOTech bought from Tasco) and it wasn't bad, but it didn't seem all that great as in broad daylight the reticle got washed out even on highest power with new batteries.

Has the EOTech managed to overcome this? Since they are smaller than the old Holosights, if they are as good as you say I may have to take another look at them. That top rail is just crying out for an optical accessory.

Shane A. Bernskoetter

Author of:

Surviving Twilight: A Soldier's Chronicle of Daily Life in Iraq

http://www.survivingtwilight.com

The instructors school I used my M-4 in was all daylight, bright and sunny except for one day. When we left the acadamy building for the range I turned it on, bumped up the brightness setting about 4 levels from the default power on setting, and it was outstanding. It still had a few more levels to go. I never turned it off, just let it time out. Used the same batteries for all week, they were in the sight since I purchased it. (I changed them after the school, they're fresh now) I have had no problems with the visibility of the rectile outdoors, indoors, in dark streets,etc.

Good Evening,

After the M80 forend, my next M4 upgrade is a new HWS/sight. Last week I got a taste of the EOTech 553 and it is a dream. Has anyone got to look through/use an Aimpoint Micro T-1 yet? Without even seeing the T-1, I'm already 97% in favor of the 553. What does everone else think (and my main use for the M4 is CQB with brown/polar/black bears, personal defense and the odd assignment to hotspots)?

-x

Foregive my ignorance, but what the h*ll is an M80 forend?

Johnny,

It is a milled aluminum replacement for the original forend and is equipped with four Picatinny rails for mounting a vertical grip, tactical light, laser, etc.

Drundel,

Thanks for the 512 suggestion. I understand your position that the 553 is overkill is some regards. I like the 553 as the viewscreen is bigger, it is NVG compatible and it can operate in lower temps than the 512 (and here in Alaska, that does matter -- especially when I am up on the North Slope in Winter). I am also considering the upgraded 550 AA (552.A65/1) as well.

-Mark

Johnny,

It is a milled aluminum replacement for the original forend and is equipped with four Picatinny rails for mounting a vertical grip, tactical light, laser, etc.

Drundel,

Thanks for the 512 suggestion. I understand your position that the 553 is overkill is some regards. I like the 553 as the viewscreen is bigger, it is NVG compatible and it can operate in lower temps than the 512 (and here in Alaska, that does matter -- especially when I am up on the North Slope in Winter). I am also considering the upgraded 550 AA (552.A65/1) as well.

-Mark

Are we talkin AR-15 or Benelli?

I have an EO-Tech 550/AA on my duty M-4. (Along with a bunch of other goodies) I've used it for several months now and even through an advanced tactical shotgun instructor's school. There is no comparison for the durability, reliability, quality of this unit. There's no Aimpoint or Trij. that can touch this sight for CQB deployment....... Hands Down...... Bar None

Trijicon Reflex. No batteries, big bright 14 MOA quick aquisition chevron which can be used for a very quik snapshot or by using the tip or point can be used for accurate aimed fire out to about 300-400 meters. Tough as nails and super lightweight. If it gets dirty dunk it in the nearest water.

Yeah EO-Tech's are good though but heavier, have batteries, and are arguably not as tough as a Trijicon Reflex. Hard decision. Personal preference.

Topcover, there is another sight that I would recommend you take a look at. It is a red dot sight that is in use by the military and I use it on two of my shotguns. It can be mounted on a picatenny rail. The sight is made by a company called Cmore. You may find them at www.cmore.com . This sight is in use by the U.S. Military. I first saw this sight while at Fort Benning, GA at the Infantry Center. This sight may be used on shotguns, rifles or pistols and I have as of yet never had a problem with either of the sights I own.

Drundel,

-Mark

Mark,

I work on the Slope and am here now. Who is carrying around M4's? icon_eek.gif I get nervous when I see all the old security guys with their S&W 686, if one of those guys had an M4 slung over his shoulder, I don't think I would ever goto PBOC, MCC, BOC, etc. anymore.

OT: When is it gonna warm up? It was snowing last night.

D,

I heard that it was snowing up in your neck of the woods. Enjoy. I was out in Nome recently and the pack ice was still attached to the shore in many places. As for who on the Slope is carrying the M4, I know of no one (and I know what you mean about being nervous). I carry mine as a survival tool whenever I can.

Krrr,

Thanks for the Cmore site recommendation. I have never had an opportunity to use one but I know a couple people who have them on their (Colt) M4s as well as a friend who has one he uses for hunting with a pistol. My question is: how rugged are they?

As it stands now, I'm still leaning towards an EOtech 550 AA or 553.

-Mark

Guest Cajunkraut

As an owner/ end user of both the Benelli M4 and EOTech 553, I concur that the 553 is overkill for the shotgun. Height aside, it's damn big. I LOVE it on my AR - it's definitely an improvement over the 551/552 series.

I've put my hands on the Micro, and it gets my vote for shotgun use due to it's small size and low height. For the same reasons, I plan to put one on an M1A scout rail.

Just my $.02.

TopCover, They are Rugged and dependable. I use them for hunting and have put them in some pretty tough situations. Plus, I know quite a few Rangers including my son-in-law who used it on his weapon. He used it the entire time he was in Afghanistan and he swears by it. Anyway opinions are like A__holes and everyone has one but you have to be happy with what you get. Most of these similar sights will do you a great job. It is what you will feel most comfortable with.