Need Info On Nova 12 Gauge Slug Barrel

tool187

Hey, I've had my benelli nova for about a year I guess. I've put a side saddle on it, tactical light, 2 shell magazine extension, and the mercury recoil reducer. I've been thinking about getting a slug barrel for it so I could go deer hunting but heard from someone to only shoot SABOT slugs out of it. Is that only if I'm using the smooth bore barrel, and if so would I use a choke and what kind of range would I get with it?

Mainly all I want to know is if I would be better off spending around $180 and getting a rifled barrel for my nova or if I should just keep my original and only shoot the sabot slugs (assuming that is what I'm supposed to shoot them out of). But if I could almost double my range and be able to use a variety of slugs in a rifled barrel I'd rather do that. Just haven't heard a lot about this stuff so that's why I'm looking for everyones help. Thanks!

Jonathan

If you search on this topic, you'll find quite a few opinions already out there (range, slugs, etc.):

http://www.benelliusa.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/search/search_forum/1.html

As far as I can tell, the rifled barrel gives you a slight advantage over shooting through a rifled choke. There have been some issues with the quality of the Ithaca slug barrels, but I have heard both good and bad things about them.

Also, browse through here:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=61

Prostreetcamaro just posted up some results on his slug barrel and the issues he went through with it.

[ 10-30-2005, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Cleric ]