which choke?

solocam72

Sorry guy's if this question seems dumb, I am new to the shotgun world and was wondering what choke would work best for shooting clay pigeons, my gun is a benelli super nova, it came with 3 chokes they are marked F, M, and IC, the F must be Full choke, M for modified, and IC for Improved Cylinder? again which would be best for shooting "clays"?

You don't say what distance or type of clay shooting your doing but generally speaking the closer you are to the target the more open choke you want. Use the IC for skeet and sporting clay ranges and the mod or full for trap. Some may prefer mod for SC, depends on your stye of shooting. Full is to reach out there with a tighter pattern. Hope this helps you.

Sorry guy's if this question seems dumb, I am new to the shotgun world and was wondering what choke would work best for shooting clay pigeons, my gun is a benelli super nova, it came with 3 chokes they are marked F, M, and IC, the F must be Full choke, M for modified, and IC for Improved Cylinder? again which would be best for shooting "clays"?

I would start with the MOD as that would give you the best coverage in Sporting Clays and trap. If you were just going to shoot skeet then I would put in the IC.

Mike

The type of shooting I have been doing is from a thrower mounted on a spare tire in the back of a pickup truck, around here in Western Wa where I live we have some really steep old clearcuts up in the mountains you can back your truck up to the edge and throw clays and shoot till your hearts content. I just checked and my gun had the Full choke in it, I did ok with it last time out but noticed I was missing some of the close easy looking shots, I put the IC choke in and now am anxiously waiting to try it out.

would probably be skeet if ya were just doing a crossing shot left to right or slightly going away, straight away is trap! sroprting clays is very challenging and fun but lotta prep goes into setting up course not to mention money! These courses usually cost an arm and a leg to get into and not very many open to public. Full for Trap, IC or mod for skeet & sporting clays.:) It's all fun as long as you win the $$$ every round!

Improved Cylinder with what came with your shotgun. If I had a choice, I would go with cylinder or skeet.

Most people over choke their shotgun. I use IC for almost everything. The way I duck hunt-----a modified choke is too much----I don't shoot unless they are landing in the decoys.

Skeet shooting is similar. We have a skeet shooting area at the duck camp for off season practice and a Modified is way too much choke for me.

Most things can be done great with a skeet or improved cylinder. Maybe a light modified choke for your farther shots. With newer shells the wad design acts as a choke in and of itself. Back in paper shell days with cardboard wads, guns needed tight forcing cones and chokes to get the same pattern you get today with a more open chokes and fc's. In addition, you don't have the shot scrubbing that cuases fliers in your pattern with modern wads. Try telling a real oldtimer WW2 guy this though. My grandads, god rest 'um, would not dream of shooting anything but a mod. or full.