Training with an M4 in the desert...

h.bowman

Nice pics man. Makes me want to go take a shotgun class now, but I've promised my friend I'll go through the handgun class with him. Maybe some other time. lol.

Thanks. Had a great time. As fun as shotgun was, it is probably better to do handgun the first time, just to get a feel for four long days of training. Once you know what to expect, it would be easier to prepare for the shotgun class, which is quite intense.

With all that hard shooting, was there any damage to the bolt from the gas pistons? Also how does your ejection port look? Mine gets pretty beat up from the brass hitting it on ejection. Thanks

I don't see any bolt damage, and the ejection port looks fine. Very dirty, and needs some cleanup. The gun ran flawlessly. I was quite impressed.

Here are a few pics of me training with my new M4 out at Front Sight in the Southern Nevada desert...

126.jpg

125.jpg

...ran about 800 through it over the last 4 days. A lot of bird and buck shot, and quite a bit of slug.

Uh... that guy, the one on your left, he don't look nearly as happy in that prone position as you do, lol. I betcha that school ran you some DINERO!

Uh... that guy, the one on your left, he don't look nearly as happy in that prone position as you do, lol. I betcha that school ran you some DINERO!

I'm a lifetime member. Now everything I take there, anytime, is free, for the rest of my life. Every class they offer. :D

As for the others being comfortable in prone, squatting, whatever. I'm in shape. Many others aren't.

What was funny was watching people shooting from a squat position and their shotguns kick them backwards onto their asses.

Thanks. Had a great time. As fun as shotgun was, it is probably better to do handgun the first time, just to get a feel for four long days of training. Once you know what to expect, it would be easier to prepare for the shotgun class, which is quite intense.

Well, I've been through a 4 day handgun class for the last two years. And yes, it can run you down by the end of the 4th day. I'll shoot for the distinguish graduate next time. :)

I'm a lifetime member. Now everything I take there, anytime, is free, for the rest of my life. Every class they offer. :D

Good man! :D

I would love to go twice a year if I have the $$ for lodging, gas, and ammo. lol.

what type sling is on your M-4?

You know, I bought the sling at the last minute for the class, and didn't keep the packaging. Its not a special sling, and is likely one very common at gun stores. It was $29.99. I only bought it because my Wilderness sling didn't arrive in time for class.

Kinny:

I'm up there right now. I have a house in Pahrump. I'm taking the Rope, Rappel, and Climb tomorrow. Just the 2 day version. I didn't have time for the 4 day.

So far this year, I've done the 4 Day Defensive Handgun, 4 Day Tactical Shotgun, I've done the 2 Day Handgun Skill Builder twice, I've done the CCW twice (only because someone I was with needed to do it, you only need to take this class once), I've done the GLOCK Armorer's Course, and I'm likely taking the 2 Day Advanced Tactical Handgun in two weeks. I'll come out for the 4th of July party, also.

Needless to say, I'm making sure to get my money's worth out of the membership. :D

You know, I bought the sling at the last minute for the class, and didn't keep the packaging. Its not a special sling, and is likely one very common at gun stores. It was $29.99. I only bought it because my Wilderness sling didn't arrive in time for class.

Kinny:

I'm up there right now. I have a house in Pahrump. I'm taking the Rope, Rappel, and Climb tomorrow. Just the 2 day version. I didn't have time for the 4 day.

So far this year, I've done the 4 Day Defensive Handgun, 4 Day Tactical Shotgun, I've done the 2 Day Handgun Skill Builder twice, I've done the CCW twice (only because someone I was with needed to do it, you only need to take this class once), I've done the GLOCK Armorer's Course, and I'm likely taking the 2 Day Advanced Tactical Handgun in two weeks. I'll come out for the 4th of July party, also.

Needless to say, I'm making sure to get my money's worth out of the membership. :D

How much is that membership, I need to take some of those classes myself?

I don't have a sling on my M4's yet. I know on my FAL carbines I like a two point sling. I'm still trying to figure out with the collapsible how to mount the sling. There is the slot or the hole, or some are mounting that sling through the pistol grip with the adapter. This is probably the best solution, but it scares me since I had to pay so much for my last collapsible. I'm interested in ideas for my rig.

What kind of slugs were most folks using out there? I hear those those Federal TruBall's are pretty revolutionary for the smoothbore slug shooters. What kind of distance were you shooting the slugs and the buckshot at and with what chokes. I'd be interested to hear about this and we can compare notes.

How much is that membership, I need to take some of those classes myself?

I don't have a sling on my M4's yet. I know on my FAL carbines I like a two point sling. I'm still trying to figure out with the collapsible how to mount the sling. There is the slot or the hole, or some are mounting that sling through the pistol grip with the adapter. This is probably the best solution, but it scares me since I had to pay so much for my last collapsible. I'm interested in ideas for my rig.

What kind of slugs were most folks using out there? I hear those those Federal TruBall's are pretty revolutionary for the smoothbore slug shooters. What kind of distance were you shooting the slugs and the buckshot at and with what chokes. I'd be interested to hear about this and we can compare notes.

Well, you know a lot more about shotguns and ammo than I do. My M4 only came with one choke, the one in the barrel. That is the choke I used.

As for Federal, that is what I shot in bird and buck, and it was great. I had no problems with any of my ammo.

Although, for slug I did have Winchester. Again, shot flawlessly. We did head shots from 30 meters, chest shots from 30 meters, and chest shots from 50 meters, standing, prone, squatting, sitting, kneeling, whatever.

I didn't pay too much attention to what everyone else was shooting. As I said, there were three M4s. One guy was from Germany and it appeared he was shooting Wolf. Another guy, from San Diego, was shooting all Federal. I don't think any of us were having any problems. The German earned a Distinguished Graduate Certificate. He regularly competes, though.

Kinny:

I envy you man! :D

Well, you know a lot more about shotguns and ammo than I do. My M4 only came with one choke, the one in the barrel. That is the choke I used.

As for Federal, that is what I shot in bird and buck, and it was great. I had no problems with any of my ammo.

Although, for slug I did have Winchester. Again, shot flawlessly. We did head shots from 30 meters, chest shots from 30 meters, and chest shots from 50 meters, standing, prone, squatting, sitting, kneeling, whatever.

I didn't pay too much attention to what everyone else was shooting. As I said, there were three M4s. One guy was from Germany and it appeared he was shooting Wolf. Another guy, from San Diego, was shooting all Federal. I don't think any of us were having any problems. The German earned a Distinguished Graduate Certificate. He regularly competes, though.

Damn Germans. Federal is good stuff. I've been wanting to try out the new TruBall slugs in regular and reduced recoil. Supposedly they give you about 25-30yrds more effective range- at least the regulars supposedly do. I'll let you know if I ever get any.