what to choose

quackaddic

i do not no what gun to choose. the sbe2 or the bereta exterema2 with the kick off. i am 15 and i have a nova 20. not the supper nova. witch dose not kick hard at all but i here the sbe2 kicks like a mule, so can give me some advise of how hard it kicks or if you think i can handle it. i have worked for 2 years now and i finely have the $$$$. i don't want to blow it!

i do not no what gun to choose. the sbe2 or the bereta exterema2 with the kick off. i am 15 and i have a nova 20. not the supper nova. witch dose not kick hard at all but i here the sbe2 kicks like a mule, so can give me some advise of how hard it kicks or if you think i can handle it. i have worked for 2 years now and i finely have the $$$$. i don't want to blow it!

What do you want it for? What type of hunting? If for hunting, all the above choices are good. Maybe you could find a good used gun off this board, or somewhere else and save some of your hard earned dough. A used M1S90 or a Berette AL391 with a synthetic camo stock would be excellent. I don't like the 3.5" magnums myself. I've found out I can kill ducks out to 40-50 yards with 2.75 or 3" mags just fine. And yes a 3.5" mag kicks right about there with an elephant gun. Only with an elephant gun you don't generally shoot a whole box of shells. Plus those 3.5" shells are not what you would call cheap.

so what u r saying is that if i shoot 20s out of it it will kick the same not that i wood. but i have shoot the super nova 12 that my cuz has and it kicks no more then my 20 with out the comfortech. but is it not true that semis kick more then the pumps do? so can someone who has shoot bolth the super nova 12 and the sbe2 12 if they kick no harder or if the sbe2 kicks a lot more.

I've shot a standard Nova without comfortech, and an SBE II with comfortech, and I'll tell you, 1 shot out of the SBE II and I had a brused shoulder. 1 year later I got my nova, shot a couple cases out of it over the goose season, not one bruse. Perhaps I shouldered it wrong, but the SBE II kicked harder IMO. I always thought that autos would kick less, because they have the cycling of the action that I figured would tame it at least a little. And a pump just shoots, no action to go through before it hits your shoulder. I do know that gas guns are supposed kick less then pumps, so are the inertias, but not from what I've seen.

BTW, I'm 16, if you are bothered by recoil, I'd go with the Xtrema 2, Sdkidaho can tell you they kick about the same as a 20 gauge even with 3-1/2 goose shells. The SBE II, do not expect a soft shooting gun.

Recoil is a purely scientific principle.

Simple physics.

The energy delivered to the shoulder is equal to the energy generated by the force of the muzzle blast minus the weight of the gun.

Here's an oversimplified formula.

Recoil = Energy - Weight.

The heavier the gun, the more energy will be spent setting the gun into motion and continuing to drive it rearward.

Gas-operated semi-automatic shotguns further reduce felt recoil by re-directing a portion of the expanding gasses into a cylinder which pushes the bolt rearward.

Recoil operated, (Inertia) guns do not dissipate gasses and the action is worked by the physical reactions of the gun being forced rearward from recoil.

This is why a light load will sometimes fail to cycle an Inertia gun. Simply not not enough push to complete the process.

It is also why an imporperly shouldered or held gun may fail.

Felt recoil is further reduced by the angle of the stock, good form, clothing, and recoil dampening pads and gadgets.

A 12 ga. Nova weighs about 7.9 lbs.

A 12 ga. SBEII weighs about 7.1 lbs.

All other factors being equal, a Nova will kick slightly less.

Here's the unsimplified formula for you home-schooled prodigies who may be tired of shooting PD's and catching snapping turtles on your summer break.

Recoil Energy in ft. lbs. = (Bw Mv + 4700 Pw)2 / (64.348 Gw) where:

Gw= the weight of the gun in pounds

Bw = weight of the ejecta (shot and wad) in pounds

Pw = powder weight in pounds

Mv = muzzle velocity in feet per second

Example: Our shooter has an 8 lb. target gun with a load using 19.0 grs. of Clays, a wad weighing 33.0 gr., shot charge of 1 1/8 oz. and giving 1200 fps muzzle velocity. First we must convert the ejecta weight to lbs. (1 1/8 oz. = 492.0 gr.) Dividing grains by 7000 converts to pounds.

Gw = 8 lb.

Bw = (492.0 + 33.0)/7000 = 0.075 lb.

Pw = 18/7,000 = .003 lb.

Mv = 1200 fps

Substituting the numbers in the formula we find the recoil of the shooter's load = 21.05 ft. lbs.

so what u r saying is that if i shoot 20s out of it it will kick the same not that i wood. but i have shoot the super nova 12 that my cuz has and it kicks no more then my 20 with out the comfortech. but is it not true that semis kick more then the pumps do? so can someone who has shoot bolth the super nova 12 and the sbe2 12 if they kick no harder or if the sbe2 kicks a lot more.

I missed the fact that your Nova was a 20.

Of course the 12 will kick more.

No, an Inertia semi-auto will kick the same as a pump gun of equal weight, but the SBEII is lighter than most semis and the nova, so it will kick a bit more.

If recoil with heavy hunting loads is an issue, you add weight to the SBEII in the form of mercury reducers. These will shave off some of the energy before it gets to your shoulder.

I missed the fact that your Nova was a 20.

Of course the 12 will kick more.

No, an Inertia semi-auto will kick the same as a pump gun of equal weight, but the SBEII is lighter than most semis and the nova, so it will kick a bit more.

If recoil with heavy hunting loads is an issue, you add weight to the SBEII in the form of mercury reducers. These will shave off some of the energy before it gets to your shoulder.

Mercury reducers will help with the recoil, but will unbalance your gun because of all the weight in the buttstock. I guess you could put some lead in the front of your gun like some clay shooters do to get an acceptable balanced swing. My next waterfowl gun is going to be the Extrema II with kick off and a Beretta gel pad that pops on and off. It comes in different thicknesses too for L.O.P.. I use it on my AL391 Urika and have been extremely satisfied with it. It seems much more secure than the Benelli pads. The Benelli pads are the same material as the Kick-eez recoil pads, about the best recoil pad out there, IMO. I just don't know how secure those new Benelli pads are, I've heard that they can pop out and come loose. I don't know if this is true though because I have a 1990's SBE.

I bought a Xtrema with kick off just recently and couldnt be any happier, shoots super soft with any loads even the big 3 1/2" shells feel pretty tame. I dont think between the SBEII and the Xtrema there is much difference in price, just a little more weight in the Xtrema and of course gas versus inertia difference as explained quite well by Tucker.

Choice is yours and try them both if you can before you buy.

Cordoba! Cordoba! Cordoba!

1. Comfortech- you can change to different size comb pads and butt pads

2. Five EXTENDED chokes- no tools needed to take out

3. Crio Barrels and Chokes-smoother metal/easier to clean

4. Ported barrel- Muzzle jump, clay competitors use this. Works well, maybe not in a blind, ha, ha.

5. Inertia Driven- Easier to clean

6. Carry case

7. Grip tight on the forend and stock. Great in wet weather.

8. 10mm sporting rib. Favored by clay competitors

9. Hunting colors-matte black or Max4 camo

10. Lighter and less bulkier than the Extrema

My 10 reasons to buy this gun. I think personally this is the best all around gun. Great hunting gun and great clay gun.

I have the SS. Same gun but will be awful shiny in the blind. Oh well. Gives me a good reason to either buy the Cordoba or and M2.

CR

I have a sbe1 and a xtrema 2 without the ko.I can say that my benelli is not the most reliable gun out of the two, yet for some reason the recoil is less than that of its sister the xtrema 2.I was shooting 42 gram mini mags out of it and would have to say the benelli acutually felt nicer to shoot.Remembering that the xtrema i have does not have the kick off.I think too many young shooters focus on the recoil of the gun not the actual qualities they bring.Recoil should not be your greatest concern when buying a gun, the fit of the gun is more important.And you say you are 15 so Youll grow to exccept recoil.Its part of shooting.Either way you can't go wrong.Yet i personally think that the xtrema is a better gun.Yet youll have to decide what you want out of it.I think youd be better off buying second hand untill you get more confident with a shotgun.

Cordoba! Cordoba! Cordoba!

1. Comfortech- you can change to different size comb pads and butt pads

2. Five EXTENDED chokes- no tools needed to take out

3. Crio Barrels and Chokes-smoother metal/easier to clean

4. Ported barrel- Muzzle jump, clay competitors use this. Works well, maybe not in a blind, ha, ha.

5. Inertia Driven- Easier to clean

6. Carry case

7. Grip tight on the forend and stock. Great in wet weather.

8. 10mm sporting rib. Favored by clay competitors

9. Hunting colors-matte black or Max4 camo

10. Lighter and less bulkier than the Extrema

My 10 reasons to buy this gun. I think personally this is the best all around gun. Great hunting gun and great clay gun.

I have the SS. Same gun but will be awful shiny in the blind. Oh well. Gives me a good reason to either buy the Cordoba or and M2.

CR

+1 in the 20. Not so hot in the blind like you stated.A 20 bacause you can travel with 5 kilos of small arms ammo, if thats important to you and still find ammo worldwide, ie Cordoba.

I have a sbe1 and a xtrema 2 without the ko.I can say that my benelli is not the most reliable gun out of the two, yet for some reason the recoil is less than that of its sister the xtrema 2.I was shooting 42 gram mini mags out of it and would have to say the benelli acutually felt nicer to shoot.Remembering that the xtrema i have does not have the kick off.I think too many young shooters focus on the recoil of the gun not the actual qualities they bring.Recoil should not be your greatest concern when buying a gun, the fit of the gun is more important.And you say you are 15 so Youll grow to exccept recoil.Its part of shooting.Either way you can't go wrong.Yet i personally think that the xtrema is a better gun.Yet youll have to decide what you want out of it.I think youd be better off buying second hand untill you get more confident with a shotgun.

I know your young and tough- no doubt in my mind. Go to any shotgun clays event though and talk to guys who have fired 12 ga shotguns for 25-30yrs. Your gonna notice that some of them have had detatched retina problems, neck problems (c5-c6), and some use release triggers for a permanent flinch or small ga. inserts. You can only be a tough guy so long and it will catch up with ya. Not trying to pick on you or anything like that vinceyboy, Just something to think about.