crio chokes for SBE I??

vinnylv

At the risk of sounding dumb, but rather than screw up...

I've recently mentioned that I bought an SBE II LTD edition, which came with Crio chokes.

Can I use these chokes in the SBE I? That last 1/2 inch looks like it's finished as if it would be used in the gun with threads near the end, and protruding, but will the internal barrel match well with the inside end of the choke? Also, is there a real difference in improved patterns with the extended's???

Mudhen,

Thanks, I guess I got my primary answers, but you apparently didn't understand one part, so let me translate....

The II has its threads recessed so that when you screw the choke in, the end of the choke is flush with the barrel. The SBE I has regular threads that end at the barrel tip. If I screw in the Crio, therefore, the last 1/2" protrudes from the end of the barrel, sort of like an extended third party "turkey choke" might. Since that last 1/2" seems "polished", I was asking if it was deliberately made to retro use with the older SBE I?? I've re-read and still think it's a valid question.

Was your "No" addressing that question?

Or, does someone else understand if Mudhen still doesn't??

You posted three questions.

1) No, the chokes were not designed to interchange. The SBE I used the Beretta Mobil choke system, the SBE II used the Beretta Optima Plus chokes system.

2) This was not a clear question. What does "will the internal barrel match" mean? What is an "internal barrel"? I presume you meant that if you put an Optima Plus choke in a Mobil choke gun, what would happen. I don't know. I don't make a habit of putting the wrong parts in a gun to find out what might happen.

3) Yes, extended chokes pattern better than flush fit chokes. The longer parallel sections create more true patterns by eliminating flyers. The end result is more dense patterns.

No offense intended, but this is real basic stuff. You can read info on this website or in the Benelli catalog.

Also, play around on choke maker's websites for info; www.carlsonschokes.com. www.briley.com, www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com, etc.

mudhen - CA

Mudhen,

Thanks, I know it was basic, that's why I started the original as I did.

Being fairly new to Benelli, I was unaware of the"Mobil" vs. "Optima" systems. I'll have to look into that for my education.

Given that third parties often make the extended's that can be substitued, I queried if that was the case here---obviously not.

Thanks again for getting back.

The SBE II is not overbored and uses the Optima Plus choke configuration.

Most, maybe all, Beretta Optima Plus guns are overbored.

You figger it out for yourself.....

Here's a hint; what is the constriction of a Beretta Optima Plus LM vs. the constriction of a Benelli Crio Plus LM?

mudhen - CA