sbe 2 recoil decisions vs supernova/ motefeltro

buck_uncle

I own a montefeltro that kicks me in the face.

I've used my friends supernova and the high rib means I do not get slapped in the face.

I then switched back w/ clays to my monte and right after using the supernova I noticed the monte kicks like a beast. I never thought it did until I did 25 on the supernova then switched back. wow that monte kicks hard in general, plus of course there is cheek slap.

So I'm going to trade the montefeltro for either a sbe2 or a supernova. The XII doesn't fit, it has a low rib again.

So here is the dilemma. Get the supernova at 8lbs or the sbe2 at 7 lbs and get kicked like crazy in comparison, except that the sbe2 has a high rib so I can avoid the cheek slap, thats my only problem with the monte.

That and I found the supernova swings nice, but once I switched back to the monte, I find the supernova to swing like a 2x4

but im worried that 7lb sbe2 is too light.... and the x2 doesn't fit, so I'm not sure what to replace my shotgun with. I would like to use 3.5 steel though.

But maybe cut my losses and get a 870 and save my cash.

Buck_uncle,

First I am REALLY surprised that your Montefeltro kicks more than the Super Nova. There is ZERO recoil mechanism in the Nova that has me thinking one thing. Your Montefeltro does not fit you.

Fit is #1 reason that a gun will kick a person. Weight makes a difference too along with load size but even if you have a heavy gun and light loads, if it doesn't fit then it will kick.

As far as going to a SBEII. Great gun but if you are looking for a gun with a high rib then that is not the gun to get. You need to ask what you will do with the gun. Hunt or clays or both? If both what % of each will you do. That will help.

IF money is not an object and you like Benelli and you do both hunting and clays you WILL NOT find a better gun then the Cordoba. It comes in the hunting colors or matte black with the grip tight BUT it has all the bells and whistles of a clay gun, porting, High 10mm Sporting rib, extended chokes and so on. This gun is based off the Supersport w/comfortech that is cosmetically designed for clays only.

You need to look at this gun, seriously. In my opinion the best all round gun you can buy out of ANY brand. I have the SS because I only shoot clays and like the shiny features.

Although this gun can only go up to 3 inch shells unlike the SBEII but there is not many animals that you need 3 1/2 shells for. 3 inch magnums do plenty good job. The weight thing is fine, again it comes down to fit.

Example, my wife, 5'2 96lbs, has a Montefeltro. Had her fitted and she says that her gun kicks less then any gun she has ever shot. Her gun is 5.4 lbs. Light weight and no kick. It is a dream to shoot with her because she doesn't complain about the weight or recoil.

CR

I agree with dooderman, your gun does not fit you. And getting slapped in the face, that seems like a fit issue/not holding the gun properly or tight enough. My brothers browning 10 gauge BPS will slam me in the face if I do not get a good grip on it, but if I've got a good grip it will not slap me in the face at all. Just bust my shoulder. :rolleyes:

I would try to get that gun refitted before I thought of selling it. Those montefeltros are some sweet little guns.

And again Dooder is right, a 3-1/2 shell is not 'needed' But I have always liked the extra shot and power. I have dropped geese just as high with a 3" as I have a 3-1/2"

The monte has zero recoil reducing features and the supernova has a comfortech stock, but really, zero recoil reducing features.

So they both are basically fix breech when they fire, and the supernova weights a pound more. So basically I think non of the benelli's fit me and I should move on to something else, I don't have a chance to demo a sbe2 so I don't wanna drop money on it, and really I'm not sure if the supernova fits correct either, all I can tell is that it is heavier so I get kicked less, but perhaps it doesn't fit either.

Buck_Uncle,

Not sure what you are saying but the Montefeltro does have recoil reducing feature. First it has a recoil spring in the stock. The bolt actually moves. Although this is not exactly like the comfortech or what have you it is something that moves in the gun that will reduce recoil.

As far as the Super Nova, it is a pump gun, the bolt area is fixed once the pump is cocked. There is zero movement in this mechanizm. Yes there is Comfortech which does help in my opinion but in my mind about the same as the the bolt movement in the Semi Auto gun.

It still comes down to fit and possibly how you are holding it. The Montefeltro is a LIGHT gun so if you are super sensitive and shoot huge loads then maybe I could see what you are talking about with recoil but it still comes down to fit.

As far as what you are shooting, you still haven't said exactly what you want the gun for but I will say this, a pump gun is definitely a disadvantage at the clay course compared to an O/U or Auto. YES, you can become proficient and do ok but never be at the top with a pump.

Just a thought. You may be right maybe the Benelli line doesn't fit you. That is why there is the Stoeger and Franchi line to look at or even the parent company Beretta.

Good luck, pick the guns up and feel them and shoot them if you can.

Good luck.

Buck_Uncle,

Not sure what you are saying but the Montefeltro does have recoil reducing feature. First it has a recoil spring in the stock. The bolt actually moves.

I agree with your entire post but this, for the bolt to unlock the gun must travel backwards, lets just say about 1/4 inch, Then the bolt travels back, but that 1/4 inch has already kicked 30 - 40lb of recoil into you at that point on a 7lb gun.

I have other guns that fit but I was trying to find a goose/ everything gun, I'm not a fan of switching guns I'd like to hand throw clays with my hunting gun and vice versa etc etc...

I'm just sad that I don't think they fit and I can't really demo anything.

Buck_uncle,

If you actually load a Montefeltro (My wife has one) the bolt is NOT locked into place when the shell is in the chamber. Yes, the bolt head has to rotate and lock onto the shell but if you just pull on the bolt lever the mechanism moves. This is unlike a pump gun. When you cock a pump gun the bolt mechanism is locked into place and it has ZERO movement when the shell is fired, hence for pump guns Benelli did things like a Mercery recoil reducer for the Nova or for the Super Nova they added the Comfortech and weight because the bolt doesn't move causing you to feel the full recoil.

Just pick up all the guns. You can always get the gun fitted (getting the stock cut if too long) or since the gun comes with a shim kit you can adjust the cast and drop.

Anyway, when we talk about fit we do not mean that you just pick a gun up and it fits perfect. Guns are built around a standard body frame. There is not too many guns that you can just pick up and shoot without some type of adjustments.

Now, as far as feel that is different. Even though the gun may not fit exact you will know if it good for you based off feel. It may swing smooth, may not be bulky or is bulky enough and when you pick it up you are like "man this is right".

I did that with my SS, my wife did it with her Montefeltro. I still needed to use the shim kits for both our guns to get the drop and cast right. I also had to have my wife fitted and the stock cut.

SO, in the end what you may want to do if you want a hunting gun but a gun you can use for hand thrown clays is maybe step into the M2. It has comfortech, Recoil spring, moving bolt and can shoot it all. What is cool about this gun or any gun with Comfortech is that you can get the different sized gel pads to reduce or lengthen your pull without having to cut the stock or whatever. You can also get gel pieces to raise the comb if you want.

That is my opinion. Good luck and have fun. I shot a Super Nova over the weekend. Nice gun. Sure like the sound of a pump gun.

CR

Hey dooderman;

I was actually thinking that I'd swap the monte for the sbe2

because the sbe2 comes up instantly to a perfect sight plane, where as the monte is almost perfect but then I have to roll my head down to level the rib out and that is what causes me to get bumped.

When I fire my friends supernova I don't have to roll my cheek down, and hence no cheek slap.

Is it safe to assume that if I do swap to the sbe2 I should be okay?

Thats my only concern, is that if I swap and still get slapped im out a ton of money

thanks

The monte would make a decent goose gun, most the people I know that hunt geese with me shy away from the 3-1/2" shells because they hate the recoil. But I hate to break it to you, but even though the SBE II weighs more then the monte, you are gonna get plenty of recoil. I was amazed when I first shot an SBE II, it almost knocked me on my butt, and I was left with a bruse after only one shot.

The year after, I got a standard Nova and IMO, it kicked considerably less then the SBE II. Dooder is right, the SBE II and the monte have the moving bolt. But the between the auto 3-1/2 and the pump 3-1/2. The auto kicked more, even though the bolt moves AND it had comfortech, my nova does not.

One thing you will like about the SBE II that the Monte does not have, is a gel cheek insert. Even if you are slapped in the face, it is padded, and smooth so your cheek will slide along it. But again, when I hold a gun right, I don't get slapped in the face, no matter what gun. If I don't have a firm grip, whammo to the face.

Also, something I have learned is, if you move with the gun, you get kicked less, and no slap cheek because you are moving with it. My brother likes to absorb the recoil and wonders why someone 50 lbs less then him, (me), can shoot his gun without brusing or soreness or cheek slap, something that he gets a lot with his 10 gauge, that I don't get with the same gun.

Bolt and other mechanism movement in an Inertia-operated gun do nothing to lessen the forces of recoil delivered to the shooter's shoulder.

These movements are powered by the after effects of recoil, not by the energy of the recoil before it reaches the shoulder.

For all puposes of argument, the recoil energy of an Inertia gun will be equal to the recoil energy of a pump or fixed breech gun of equal weight.

Since the parts and pieces of the pump gun add weight, they tend to be a tad heavier and thus they kick a tad less.

I will agree that that if the gun is smacking you in the cheek, there is a problem with fit, form, or both.

Bolt and other mechanism movement in an Inertia-operated gun do nothing to lessen the forces of recoil delivered to the shooter's shoulder.

These movements are powered by the after effects of recoil, not by the energy of the recoil before it reaches the shoulder.

For all puposes of argument, the recoil energy of an Inertia gun will be equal to the recoil energy of a pump or fixed breech gun of equal weight.

Since the parts and pieces of the pump gun add weight, they tend to be a tad heavier and thus they kick a tad less.

I will agree that that if the gun is smacking you in the cheek, there is a problem with fit, form, or both.

I agree it is like a 7lb vs 8lb fixed breech gun recoil wise, but

I didn't mind the massive monte recoil when it wasn't slapping me on the face, but sometimes it does and its a *****, lol.

I'm tempted to try the sbe2 even thou it is 7lbs, or possible the supernova at 8lbs, not sure what I'm going to do,

my other plan was a cheap cheap mossberg or 870 and save all my money, but I noticed most of those weight 6 &3/4 or 7 lbs, which is just as light as the sbe2 but without the comfortect and semi auto, so maybe a ****** pump is going to beat me up as well.

dont' like the bps because u need special tools to disassemble competly. but anywazs what do you all suggest..

if the x2 fit, that be the winner, hands down, has, KO and 8lbs, but it doesn't fit immeditaly,, too much rib,

If you have the means to try the SBEII without having to buy one then that would certainly be the way to go.

I would also consider adding a recoil reducer to the Monte before giving up on it.

I use a C&H reducer that replaces the mag. cap and it worls great on my SBEII in the warmer seasons when I don't have so much clothing on.

http://www.mercuryrecoil.com/suppressors/index.htm#top

Mossberg 835, that sucker is a good 8 lbs. But, I will tell you I would rather shoot my brothers browning 10 gauge then his Mossberg 12 gauge. I don't know what it is about mossbergs, but they are the true mule of kicking guns. Add some weight to it and get a limbsaver if you are going for a mossberg.

I don't like the quality of the 870, but if you do go for one, they are light, kick is average, and they seem to fit nicely. I've shot my brothers 870 supermagnum, same kick as a Nova.

thanks for all your suggestions guys,

but alas so far it just seems I can't win, lol, a light hard kicking pump or a hard kicking mossberg, both no good, lol

I've never had a single failure to fire, eject, etc. with the monte and I can't imagion going into a blind and having a mossberg jam up on me.

No sorry tucker can't test demo anything and no friends have a sbe2, all I have is the monte and can inference that a sbe2 might be okay if it has a different pitch, which it feels like in the store, but I won't know before I order one.

How about a gas gun? Like the Xtrema 2. Sdk says it kicks about as bad as his nova 20 gauge.

Definitely wanted that, but I find the low rib is a poor site plane as well, in comparison to the montefeltro it is sadly similar.

Originally I was looking at the m2 extensivly then found a montefeltro on big discount and didn't notice how low the low rib was, and it was never really an issue but the more I used it the more I wanted a lower site plane blah blah and it just doesn't come up as perfectly as a sbe2.

Not sure why most goose guns are 8lbs and gas and why the sbe goose gun is 7lbs and inertia...

I'll be going to the gun store tomorrow to feel up more options...

oh and I don't feel recoil shooting at geese w/ 3 inch steel most of the time, until I get cheek slapped and start a flinch, and I don't mind the recoil too much shooting clays, but once I tried the supernova and switched back I noticed how hard a 7lb gun really kicks!

Buck_uncle,

Still confused of what you want but I think I am getting it. First, get a gun with Comfortech. It distributes the recoil. You will still get the punch but it will be distributed more evenly. Check out this months American Rifleman from the NRA. They did a deal on the Comfortech and since the testing was not from Benelli you will be suprised what you read. Yes, it works boys. They also talk alot about the "cheek slap" thing. The comfortech has the comb pad that is the same medical material. It will eliminate your harsh cheek slap.

Next thing is gun. It seems you want a high rib. Montefeltro, M2 and SBEII are all standard low versions. The Cordoba has a high 10mm Sporting rib but the gun has comfortech and the hunting colors and all the bells and whistles of a clays gun. I think this is what you are looking for and they are not much more than the SBEII.

Whether it is a Super Nova, M2, Cordoba, SS make sure you get the comfortech.

Not sure what else to tell you. My wife LOVE's her Montefeltro but then hers fits her. Maybe still you should have that gun fitted. Add some weight and maye a aftermarket recoil reducer and leave it be. Put a Easy hit or something on the rib. It might help your site picture. Get it adjusted, do something and let us know.

CR.