July American Rifleman

tucker301

Awsome article that seemed like it is saying what I have been preaching what I feel with my comfortech. This is NOT Benelli Marketing folks. Now what do all you people that say Comfortech is a marketing scam think. You going to bag on him for not shooting enough or do you see the light?

I know I see the light. I feel it every time I shoot. Yep, smooth and no punch. 500 rounds on Saturday and no pain, no vest and just my SS with Comfortech, BOOOM!!!

Enough said!!!

CR

Shoot an SBE II with a 3-1/2 turkey load. Then shoot the same load in an Xtrema 2. Tell me which one reduces recoil up to 48% less then the closest competitor. They may need to update that. My Nova with out comfortech kicks less the the SBE II, as I have said before. Granted my Nova is about a pound heavier.

Not bashing benelli, I love their guns, but what they are claiming is not true. Now a 3" gun shooting light clay loads, with a cushy recoil pad AND comfortech, I wouldn't expect to feel recoil either. On ANY gun with a cushy pad.

Liberty,

I have shot an extrema and those things feel like tanks and are bulky feeling. The one I shot was new and the bolt was WAY harder to pull back than the SBEII I shot. I shot only 1 1/8 loads and maybe it was the fit but the Benelli was softer.

As far as the article. It wasn't from Benelli and this editor tested it his own way. He thought maybe the #'s were not as high as Benelli claims but he still felt that the comfortech works.

Anyway, read the article. It was interesting. I totally like the high end Benelli's over the High end Beretta's. But then again opinions are like ____holes, we all got them.

CR

I haven't read it, but I have come NOT to trust most reviews if not all, they seem to cater the product as I have noticed. Or completely go against it. For instance, the Xtrema got rave reviews in EVERY magazine article I read about it. Then I go on a forum with people who use these guns and actually shoot them. This gun so far is having tons of problems. Almost everyone I have heard that has one has something break on them. It gets fixed of course by Beretta, but it still broke.

I can name a few that have had theirs a season or so and absolutely no problems, but Sdkidaho is one of them, see how small the numbers really are? After reading the magazine review, I was ready to buy one, I'm glad I didn't have the money because I feel that would have been a mistake on my part. After reading the REAL reviews, made by REAL people, I won't buy one, at least until I hear these problems go away from the REAL people.

Here is a question for you, how is it that every one of Tom Knapps guns performs flawlessly right out of the box, yet almost none of ours do, unless we wipe off the factory oil, clean it real well, lightly oil it, then break it in with some heavy shells? Yet he claims to shoot light loads without a hitch, no break it, straight from the factory?

I still love benelli, and will still buy one. But I think that someone cleans the guns well, cycles them, checks them, then puts them in the box for Tom to, 'assemble.' Nothing against Tom either, I like him as well. Just some things to look at.

Again, shoot some heavy shells out of both, I can't name a gun that kicks much with light shells. Its the heavy shells that tell me which gun feels better. True, the bolt slides better in the SBE II, but I don't understand your point there, ones inertia, ones gas. All gas guns seem to have a harder slide then the the inertia ones.

Comfortech vs. non in two guns with the exact weight and function, heck yeah I would want the comfortech, but I believe the numbers are very incorrect, if they said 10-15% less recoil then its nearest competitor, I would believe it, but 48%? That isn't even true with a mossberg that kicks like a horse and has a hard recoil pad and the SBE II with comfortech and soft recoil pad, both kick quite hard. The Mossberg, I would say kicks about 20% harder then the SBE II at best. Both guns fit me just fine. In fact the SBE II fits better. So if both guns fit right, that would shave even more of the 20% away.

I don't really care who wrote the article, its just an opinion like you said. If tuck wrote the article, I wouldn't believe it either, seeing how he is so biased to his Nelli's. LOL. Just messin with ya tuck.

Sorry if my post is a little choppy, it seems that way to me, but I don't really want to fix it, I've been on the computer enough for now. I tried to make sure it was unbiased as well.

My point was that this guy felt a difference that the comfortech made. Whether light loads or not (he used a 20g Cordoba) he shot a TON and said it work. I agree with his statements because of what I have personally felt.

So lets talk about Tom for a second. The loads that he and Tim use are Federal Premium 1 1/8 oz, 2 3/4 length, 3 dram, 1200fps #9shot. I know, because I have asked and kept one of the box tops and shells from a show. That is the standard recommended load from Benelli.

He does just build and go but he also has brought his own guns. I went to Tim's show here in Norco a couple of weeks ago. The guns he was using were his. They were HAMMERED and SUPER dirty. No failures except for a mag feeding issue with his SBEII with an extended mag. He had to stretch and put another spring (total of two) to get the shells to push into the chamber. He would get 4-5 shots out and the spring was week and not pushing the shells. 2nd day no issue with double springs. Again, not the actual guns fault. Aftermarket part was the fault

Did I say DIRTY!!! Yes, dirty, hammered, beat on, filthy and they worked great.

My SS came out of the box. I shot exactly 62 big loads in my gun and proceeded to shoot over 500 7/8 oz loads with zero issue as I have stated in the past.

Cleaning them from the factory is standard and it happens with all kinds of products. My coffee pot said to run a pot of water through it before brewing coffee. Could I have started out of the box with coffee, I am sure you can but why take a chance. New cars come off the lot, you are supposed to break them in at different speeds and not go over certain RPM's and speed for the first 500 miles. You are also supposed to change the oil sooner than normal for any shavings or deposits to be flushed. Do people do it? No! Some never have a problem. Some do and then wonder???? Why not do it right and get long lasting results.

The article didn't seem biased to Benelli as he was straight up with not agreeing with the #'s but felt that the system works. In the end it is up to YOU AND ME to make our own decisions.

Remember this...

One mans trash may be another mans treasure. Simple words and the truth in shotgunning. A gun I love you may hate or vise versa. Loads, colors, chokes, FPS #'s, Shooting styles all have to do with our own opinions. Again what works for you may not work for me.

Another simple word. K.I.S.S. OR Keep It Simple Stupid. I use that one all the time for myself. When too much thinking goes into something or whatever I tell myself that. It works.

I will use that now!

CR

My point was that this guy felt a difference that the comfortech made. Whether light loads or not (he used a 20g Cordoba) he shot a TON and said it work. I agree with his statements because of what I have personally felt.

And I was not disagreeing with you, just saying the numbers are wrong. WAY wrong. And again, it is the heavy loads that really prove the difference.

Did I say DIRTY!!! Yes, dirty, hammered, beat on, filthy and they worked great.

Hmmm, quite odd that a lot of our guns get a little grit in them, and start to malfunction, yet theirs work flawlessly completely covered in grit? Why does that happen so often?

So lets talk about Tom for a second. The loads that he and Tim use are Federal Premium 1 1/8 oz, 2 3/4 length, 3 dram, 1200fps #9shot. I know, because I have asked and kept one of the box tops and shells from a show. That is the standard recommended load from Benelli.

And again, he shoots the minimum reccommended load for ALL benelli shotguns, straight out of the box, and no malfunctions? Hmmmm.

My SS came out of the box. I shot exactly 62 big loads in my gun and proceeded to shoot over 500 7/8 oz loads with zero issue as I have stated in the past.

So you broke it in and it shot flawlessly? Not much surprise there. My uncle bought an SBE II last year, took it out of the box, assembled it, and we shot ducks and geese for a week straight, no malfunction. Shot some target rounds later, no malfunctions.

I know I see the light. I feel it every time I shoot. Yep, smooth and no punch. 500 rounds on Saturday and no pain, no vest and just my SS with Comfortech, BOOOM!!!

I've shot clays with my 12 gauge nova, couple cases in a day, no pain either, I wore a T-shirt and shorts. Is your SS a 20 or a 12? Does your SS kick less with the same load, I'm guessing yes but it is an $1800 semi vs. a $380 pump comfortech or not. There is a reason TONS of people are saying comfortech is scam, its because it doesn't do as well as advertised.

But I've noticed just about every product out there is false advertised. Take the subway sandwich for example, it shows you a sandwich just stuffed with meat, veggies and cheese, then you get your $5 sandwich, and you can barely see that ther is even meat in the sandwich. I could give you a few dozen more examples if you want.

I'm not bashing you, and yes these are only opinions. But I'm not going by what one or two articles say.

I haven't read it

Nice :rolleyes:

I have not read it, but.....

No offense to you LorDjr and your vast background, but you really need to slow down and read these articles and review the website information if you are looking for credibility. Sure everyone has an opinion, but an opinion without any foundation is basically irrelevant.

Here is Benelli's UP TO 48% claim:

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/comforTech.tpl

I work for an Italian company. Italians love these charts and graphs. I have found that they can easily prove these charts to be true. They might not be based on facts that YOU find important or use guns that YOU like, but the charts are usually very accurate. The chart does not say ALL GUNS, or Xtrema II, etc. The chart just says A GUN. Pretty far from the borderline trade libelous false advertising claim you so boldly make.

I am quite sure there is a gun, Competitor C, that the SBE II beats in recoil by 48%. I am far more willing to believe Benelli's claim than I am to believe the unfounded opinions of any Internet wizard. But that's just me :)

As to field testing, my Nova kicks me at least as hard as my SBE II, maybe harder. I hate my Nova and rarely use it.

As to the the Xtrema II, pretty nice gun but they break too much for my taste. I've shot several and I can't tell much difference between the X II and the SBE II. Maybe 5% less recoil with the X II in the non-KO version. Maybe 10-15% with the KO.

I clean all my guns, Benelli/Browning/Ruger/Weatherby, so I don't know how long they will go w/o cleaning. I can say that my gas guns will gum up much faster than my inertia guns though. My Browning gas guns will sometimes gum up during a good hunt.

If you want folks to give you even a passing glance, you really should read up before posting. Most of your rants are not even remotely factually connected to the claims made by Benelli or any discussions in these articles.

Now, I'm going to save you some time. PLEASE don't take any time to think up and post a witty reply. Take that time and spend it reading Benelli's website or find that article and read it. Maybe go to some other websites and read about the countless happy Benelli customers. It's been well known since this site was created that folks come here to complain.

This place was given to us by Benelli to crap in - it's a giant cat litter box for us to deposit all of our precious 'nuggets' of information. It's not a conduit to CS or their legal department.

There are few shortcuts in life Junior. You will find that out as you get older.

You aren't writing a manifesto up there in Unibomberland are you? If so, please disregard all of the above....

Nice Post Mudhen,

I would like to further talk about what Tim and Tom use. They have both told me that they shoot below the minium load requirements that are recommended by Benelli but in their words with no other people around and no bullcrapping me they have both said "why though, if the gun makes the minimum load feel smaller than it is and I can get more payload out there then why not have the extra insurance".

These guys may get paid by Benelli but two things, Tom shot Benelli's before being paid by them. Tim Shot a Beretta and got good money from them and told me he likes the Benelli much better. Tim even said before Benelli's he hated synthetic stocks because of vibrations he felt when shooting. He says with the Comfortech that he doesn't get that anymore. Dude, I cannot tell you why their guns work flawlessly when they are that dirty. Maybe it is because they started out right with them in the first place. Tom on 2 occasions told me that there are times that he just shows up and the rep gets a local dealer to supply the guns. These are STOCK. He told me he puts a magazine in them and lets it rip and starts his shows. I damn near disasembled Tims guns at the last show after everyone was gone and really looked at them. Well oiled with lube he uses (Pro Shot), very dirty, no mods except for No choke in the gun from the factory. Yep, no choke and #9 shot, BOOM!!! Anyway, the oil was as about as thin as the stuff from the factory in the case.

Lets take me. By the way my SS is a 12g. I shot 3 inch magnums in #6 shot, 1 1/4 oz, 1550fps, 3 1/4 dram and yes it kicked like a mule but it wasn't so bad that I couldn't get through 75 of them (3 rounds of trap) in one session and then switch emmediately to 7/8oz, 1200fps #8 shot for 500 rounds the next day with not much soreness. More like tired from shooting so much but that was it. Yes I had shorts and a T-shirt on too (not sure why it matters about the shorts but I had them).

Do I personally think Comfortech works, YES! Even after spending a couple days at the range shooting a 391 on one day and then the new Extrema the next to check them out. I still felt that the thump but that same thump felt best with my SS with Comfortech. The overall thump was about the same but each gun drove that thump differently into my shoulder. Again, I still liked the feel of the SS better. Again, this is my opinion. I read on sites and articles that MANY people do like the Comfortech. I also see many posts about how people hate it because I think they thought the Comfortech would make the gun feel like a .22.

Another thing Mudhen pointed out is the Benelli testing does not mention other manufactures guns. What if what they say is true and they are testing it against a gun like Beretta and that is the company that owns them. It would look fishy, eh? What they do however in many cases is compare to other Benelli guns like the SBE without Comfortech.

It is all good, by the way, my wife who is 5'2 and 96lbs shoots the wood Montefeltro 20g. She has shot over 2k of rounds through it and has shot pumps, o/u's and a 391 and thinks hers is the softest out of all them. Again, I am not pulling the trigger but the gun is Sub 5.4 lbs and no complaints from her.

Lastly, the gun shot in the article was a 20g Cordoba but that dude put a TON of rounds through it on his trip. 12g or 20g it does not matter. That is a lot of shooting. He had his own way of doing the tests resulting in his own personal #'s which still shows that the system worked.

Mudhen,

Don't be too harsh on the Montuckian. I am one also and he lives no where near where the Unibomber was. How do I know? They caught the dude less than 15miles from my parents ranch I grew up at. Dude was so close to us. Luckily we never ran into him while hunting or fishing.

CR

Kind of an inside joke for me - Uncle Ted did much of his 'delivery' work here in the Sacramento area. Home base was one of the area's finest hotels near the Greyhound bus terminal.

I worked at a law office for a short period of time in 1995 - just a few blocks from where he killed one of his victims.

I wonder how life is treating him at the Super Max?

:)

Seen it a dozen times.

I was only replying to this mudhen, thats it.

Now what do all you people that say Comfortech is a marketing scam think. You going to bag on him for not shooting enough or do you see the light?

If they said the SBE II reduced recoil up to 48% less then a 5 lb single shot with no recoil pad, I may have believed it. There commercials say nearest competitor, which would be the Xtrema in America, sorry I don't get into all the foreign crap. And so far, the claim is not true IMO, to ANY gun in America. Find the gun for me would ya?

Then it got into Tom Knapp shooting dirty guns with no break in and light loads with no malfunctions. Very impressive. And why is it we hear about malfuntions all the time from not cleaning, improper break it, grit?

I'm not complaining, just stating that benelli needs to rethink their commercials. If they said the SBE II kicks 48% less then "this gun" I could have believed it. They also claim it is the softest kicking shotgun in the world. Now tell me that isn't false advertising.

Go by your charts, I don't care, but I have an opinion, and I will not go by the charts. They are inaccurate from what I'VE seen.

Unibomber? WTF, you've got a serious issue agains montanians don't you Mud. No biggy, I'm not fan of you californians either or your governer.

How are them turkey calls coming along?

Shooting 2-3/4" shells, it kicks less than my 20 gauge Nova. I didn't need an article to make that comparison - I have both guns.

If the felt recoil could be as light as what it is in my Xtrema II in any shotgun, then there would be no shotgun made that I would dislike shooting. My Cynergy comes close as its recoil pad is quite nice, but it's still not as easy going as the Kick-Off system.

I haven't put "thousands" of rounds through my Xtrema II but it's had hundreds of rounds through it. Everything from light 2-3/4" target rounds to 3-1/2" turkey loads. I haven't had any problems and the gun is awesome to shoot, and anyone I've taken shooting with me has had nothing bad to say about the gun. I do however like how the SBE II swings though, as it feels a little better to me in that regard. But as for recoil - hands down my Beretta has them all beat. Not sure what these other guys are doing to break their guns, maybe they use them a lot more than I do, or maybe they're careless, dunno, but I do know I've not regretted buying mine.

You can't really come to a forum and search on a certain brand of gun and expect to see the bulk of the messages be positive. It just doesn't work that way. Make a customer happy and he tells a few friends. Piss off the same customer and he tells everyone he comes in contact with. That's true for any product, not just shotguns, and so when you go and look up information on the internet in places like this you see all the pissed off people. "Why won't my SBE II cycle light loads!!!!!!"

As for the magazine articles... eh, take them for what they're worth. Fluff like Tucker said. Sponsors don't pay the bills to have their gear torn to pieces in a 1000 word article. ;)