Surefire sent me pics of M80...

h.bowman

DSA does a very small pic rail they attach to FAL's. It works great. They take a small pic rail with an alum. back plate and it screws to the handguard on the ejection port side, so the operator can activate the pressure switch with their thumb on the opposite side handgrip. I like it. You could probably send in your right handguard and they would do this for a nominal fee. I have an extra set of handguards for my M4's because I think the handguards are a weak link anyway and look like they would break if I dropped the weapon just right (or wrong).

I dont like those to much. Will the Knight's Armament ones work?

I think they can be made to work. Something about dremeling a channel were the KAs lock in. I've never used them personally so I don't know. I don't think the ladder style is bad, but the these ones are popular: XT covers

Tango downs make the handguard really fat, but they're coming out with a slimmer style soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyway, won't be able to list stuff like that much longer on ebay:

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200707.shtml#2007-07-30094109 :mad:

After learning that some items purchased on eBay may have been used in the tragedy at Virginia Tech in April 2007, we felt that revisiting our policies was not only necessary, but the right thing to do.

Hey Matt, the alcohol companies, or any of the car manufacturers never said we are going to stop manufacturing motor vehicles and alchoholic beverages because a drunk driver killed a family in a minivan.

When are people gonna realize that although the VA Tech situation (and others like it) are tragic, they are going to happen as long as there are unstable individuals in this world with malicious intents in their hearts who are hellbent on doing something outrageous. That being said, this type of individual is going to get whatever they need by any means to do the deed they intend to do. eBay is NOT the only place you can buy Glock & Walther magazines.

This is a great moment, I shot those pictures and well they first to hit the net, OUTSTANDING!

I have yet to shoot weapon system, how ever it will work well! The boot system will eject the gasses to the foward portion of the fore grip, how ever I would as well like to see a snap in sheild inside the fore arm system as well.

I shoot a night so that is why all the "junk" is on the weapon. i kindly refer it to night bowling......................................done at 50 yards with slugs

• 9 months later...
Hello,

I installed the M80 (mine came without instructions) on my M4 and I noticed that their is about a 1/16th inch gap between the barrel and the receiver... is this normal?

Thanks!

I had the exact same issue and I returned mine. Even in the pictures you can see the gap and I cant imagine this is normal.

I promptly returned mine the same day I received it.

Ummm I wonder if it could cause damage to the firearm???

Thanks,

NC

I am no Gunsmith, but a 1/16" gap is huge. There is an issue with the M80 and I find it strange that Surefire does not list this rail on their website and it's been out for a long time now.

It does appear that the M80 has been pulled from their website catalog. Depending on how you look at it, this may be a good thing (prospective buyers can look forwards to a product with outstanding issues addressed), or bad (current owners may have a defective product installed).

It does appear that the M80 has been pulled from their website catalog. Depending on how you look at it, this may be a good thing (prospective buyers can look forwards to a product with outstanding issues addressed), or bad (current owners may have a defective product installed).

Honestly, I dont think they ever listed it on their website. I wonder if they had production issues from the start and maybe sales were bad so they never bothered to continue with a new model.

I think part of the problem is that unlike Brugger & Thomet, rails are not Surefires specialty. Luckily for those who do decide to buy the M80 they can fix it with a little tape (maybe). And kudos for them for taking a chance on a battle unproven product. I am sure that with their input Surefire will be able to tighten their tolerances and fix the problem. That is, of course, if it is profitable enough for them. Which means more guinea pigs need to go out and buy the M80. But they sure do have a purdee catalog and you can't beat their flash lights.

I just spoke to a Surefire Rep. He said the issues of there being a small gap were pertaining to a good number of consumers installing the system backwards. He also said he had not heard of any FTE issues pertaining to pressure being placed on the forearm near the pistons.

I am planning on trying to make my forearm fail in any way next time I go to the range as he said if the forearm were defective, out of spec, or problematic that it would be replaced. I need to find the thread concerning the FTE issue being fixed with 3m tape....

I just spoke to a Surefire Rep. He said the issues of there being a small gap were pertaining to a good number of consumers installing the system backwards...

This makes no sense to me, whatsoever. That rep must have pulled that response out of his backside. There is no way to install the M80 backwards. A total newbie that has never held a gun before could figure out if the thing were on backwards. I call BS on him! I doubt a single consumer ever fully installed the M80 backwards and actually thought to him/herself, "Well, I know it's on right...but what's with this gap?"

No - that is not the reason for the gap.

Having said all of that, I don't have the gap with my M80.