Federal Law Enforcement Ammo Question

supernovaNole

I just bought some ammo from Ammo Bank and one of the boxes I received was:

Federal Premium Law Enforcement Ammunition

12ga 2 3/4 inch Maximum

9 pellets 00 buck

my question relates to some copy on the box:

"This ammunition is designed and manufactured exclusively for sale to Law Enforcement agencies"

I am not law enforcement so am I prohibitted from having/using this ammo?

More specifically, if I were to use this ammo in my supernova tactical for home defense and the sh*t were to hit the fan would it look bad from a criminal or civil perspective defending a self defense shooting?

I bought the ammo with the idea of testing different types of ammo for my new shotgun and I didn't know it was LE only when I purchased it.

Thanks,

SupernovaNole

More specifically, if I were to use this ammo in my supernova tactical for home defense and the sh*t were to hit the fan would it look bad from a criminal or civil perspective defending a self defense shooting?

Almost always you are going to look bad if you shoot somebody. The prosecuting attorney will say you are using special ammo made just for cops because it is so powerful/deadly. Your lawyer will say you are using LE ammo because if it is for cops, it must be the safest and most reliable and most proven not to cause collateral injury. Anyway it is not illegal to sell to or posses LE ammo. It is just not marketed to civilians.

Some people say hand loads will get you in a lot of trouble, and I would not recommend them for self-defense. However what it will boil down to is whether the shooting was considered reasonable and the quality of your lawyer.

That is why I think it is important to limit all aspects of self defense that might be perceived as 'too aggressive' such as 'Magnum' loads or stickers that say 'don't worry about the dog, beware of owner - with a picture of a big handgun'...

Hopefully none of us will ever find ourselves in that kind of situation but if we do I think it's important to cover ALL our bases. Including how a potential jury may view our weapon(s) and ammo.

Thanks for the responses,

SupernovaNole

For the most part the labeling is strictly a marketing gimmic.

It's not illegal to have or to posess it.

If it were, you would have had to have produced a special license or department purchase order to buy it.

Plenty of citizens shoot LE and military ammo every day.

No big deal.

As far as home defense issues go.

Which would you rather do?... Use it protect yourself and worry about the consequences after the fact, or not use it and become a victim?

Any of that surplus ammo you buy from Cabelas is Military surplus, can't be illegal can it? And it is BS that LE has rights that us 'civilians' don't. Any weapon/ammo they have, we should have the same rights to purchase.

I agree and I'm saving up for an ICBM :D

Ohhhh, forgot to watch the Future Weapons episode this week, DARN, no DVR!

I'll take a THAAD missle. Theatre High Altitude Area Defense Missle System. It will take your ICBM right out of the sky!

But I said LE, as in automatic weapons, door breaching rounds, armor piercing rounds, body armor, suppressors. Some of this stuff we can have, but licenses and registry is required. BS!

I don't have a problem with Nukes and large missles being in military command. As long as our government doens't continue to get more and more F'd up.

Supernova,

While on home defense, my M4 is usually full of 00 or 000 buck (and yes, I use the TAP rounds as well as other "LE" ammo). The Mesa 8-round sidesaddle has 4 nasty slug rounds and 4 flechette rounds at the ready. Over penetration is an issue as I live in a neighborhood with houses all around me -- so the only time I'd go for the slugs would be to stop a car or a bear/moose coming through a window.

Happy 4th of July to everyone. FREEDOM!

-x

p.s. I think Tucker is right on in his assessment of "LE" as a marketing ploy (for the most part and restricted rounds are restricted -- meaning you won't get them unless you are LE or military. As for the ICBM/THAAD debate, I'll take an AL-1A Airborne Laser any day (check out my Popular Science story -- it is on "the vault" page on my Web site: http://www.topcover.com