Opinion on best all around shotgun

farmer_tim

I know we all have opinions but i am looking for an all around gun. Semi Auto and I mainly hunt upland birds and have been thinking about waterfowling and I do the turkey now and then. Any thoughts on which benelli would be best for me. Barrel Length etc?

A few things factor in. I am disabled due to injury while on the job as a ff/medic. I have a bad shoulder but I am able to shoot etc. But weight sometimes effects me in both shooting and carrying the gun around.

Thanks in Advance,

Tim

For reliability and performance, the M2 and SBEII are pretty much even.

A few differences are pointed out here.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forums/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/1657.html#000000

I give the advantage to the SBEII for the ease of disassembly and cleaning.

You can see how easy it is to clean by viewing the guide I made a few weeks ago.

http://www.benelliusa.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/3550.html?

As for barrel length, I'd suggest the 26".

There is no reall advantage to having the 28" barrel in modern firearms, other than a slightly longer sighting plane.

Remember, the Semi-auto with a 26" barrel offers as much sighting rib as an O/U with a 30" barrel, because of the longer receiver.

As for your shoulder, you can shoot whatever you can tolerate.

If you can stand one stout thump from a 3.5" turkey load, then go with the 3.5's on turkeys, where a single shot is the norm.

If you're shooting doves, most Inertia guns will cycle light field loads all day long without a hitch, after they're broken in.

For upland birds like pheasant and grouse, stick with the heavy field loads and wear a padded shoulder coat or vest.

As for finishes, the camos will chip and peel, but are generally easier to maintain.

The matte black wears well with proper care, but it will rust in a hurry if you don't use the right stuff or are a little lazy about cleaning and lubing.

Originally posted by farmer_tim:

I know we all have opinions but i am looking for an all around gun. Semi Auto and I mainly hunt upland birds and have been thinking about waterfowling and I do the turkey now and then. Any thoughts on which benelli would be best for me. Barrel Length etc?

A few things factor in. I am disabled due to injury while on the job as a ff/medic. I have a bad shoulder but I am able to shoot etc. But weight sometimes effects me in both shooting and carrying the gun around.

Thanks in Advance,

Tim

I have both Benelli's and Beretta's and also have a bad shoulder and neck. For hunting ( where extreme reliability is not a factor, but recoil is ,a beretta gas gun like a AL 391 works good with a factory Gel-Tec pad. You can get a short pad and a long one for different lengths of pull. My AL 391 will shoot 7/8 oz. loads as well as the heaviest 3" waterfowl loads. If you can handle the recoil though, yur probably better off with a Benelli. Plus, Beretta's are a PAIN to clean.

[ 10-27-2006, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: johnnywitt ]

SBE II. No question. It is by far the most versatile, durable,easiest gun to clean and I believe one of the lightest 12ga. autos to carry.

Second choice M2. For all the above reasons. It is almost the same except for receiver design and is not chambered for 3.5 inchers. Will cycle lighter loads better but my SBE II will eat up 1 1/8 oz loads all day and I don't shoot anything lighter.

26" barrels are probably your best choice.

I shoot 28" but that is because of the Trap shooter in me and my own personal preference as I tend to overswing with shorter barrels.

You can't go wrong. They are both exellent guns. :D :D

• 3 weeks later...

M2 in 20 gauge. Only had mine for a short while but the jury's already in. If weight is more of an issue than recoil, (which is very light to begin with), think about a 20 gauge M2.

I've shot thousands of birds in the last 38 years and a bunch of them have been with 20 gauge--almost all the grouse (2.75" light field loads) and many pheasants and late season ducks using a 3" load, which is the direct equivelant of a high brass 1.25 oz 12 gauge load. Windy conditions, range, they are all the same. That includes some husky eastern Tom turkeys! Most of them with #5 or #4 shot.

But the main thing is it so LIGHT! 5.7 lbs! You will be amazed at the ease of carry and handling. In any case best wishes and good luck in your choice. There are some very qualified members in this forum and each has a great viewpoint.