M-4 2 rnd ext question

stinx

Recently several officers on My dept purchased new M-4's We also purchased the 2 round extension tubes. Are these tubes supposed to come with a longer spring? since the addition of the extenstion ,one of the guns will not feed shells reliably. Calls to benelli give different anwsers. One person says it should have a longer spring, another Customer service rep says it doesnt? A new spring was sent out but its marked M-1/M-3. any help is appreciated. My gun seems to work fine with the standard spring and extension.

Everything I've heard says that the factory spring is the way to go. Works fine with my full-length tube.

Of course, I don't recall seeing any threads on spring-related feed issues, either, unless the spring was kinked up or something. It might be worth looking into getting a new spring for the guns that are having issues. I'm pretty sure there's an afternarket longer spring available.

The gun with the issues worked flawlessly until the extension was installed. Someone mentioned the spring may be twisted. I am going to sugguest he check the spring for any signs of twisting or being bound up. Im sure its probably something simple like that. The M-4 is one sweet shooting gun. I liked my M-1 super 90, but love this M-4!!

Benelli does make a longer spring for the full length tubes, it has considerable more force. It also cuts down on the mag capacity (only six 2.75" shells will fit.) I purchased one but do not use it for this reason (e-gunparts, $6.95 or so. http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=981390&MC=) If the weapon is expericing feeding related issues I would make sure the tube interier and extension are free of crud and possable burrs or machining marks, as said above it should work flawlesly with the standard spring. I streched my spring slighty to increse tension but this may be unadvisable in a peace officers weapon. Try marking the spring and extension (with chalk or simmiler) and rotating in the other seperatly and together to see where the failure lies. Also have Benelli send you a new spring under warrenty. regards -d

I believe the spring that comes in our civilian M4's is the same as the military with full length tubes. It just gets compressed with the dummy extension. Make sure as others have said that there are no burrs etc. Just out of curiosity, if it is a burr or similar issue, switch the extension tubes with someone else to see if the tube is slightly different (may just be at the limit of factory tolerance like my dummy extension). Hope this helps