Barrel Manufacture Bare Metal Defects?

threeshot

I noticed that my new in the box SBE II had bare metal showing on the gun barrel dead center right in front of the Rod Retaining Cap that has the swivel for attaching a gun sling.

While I was in my local gun shop on Thursday, I inspected the barrels on two SBE II, a M1 and a M2 shotgun from Benelli.

Three of the four Benelli guns had the exact bare metal showing in the same location. Four out of five if you count my gun that I bought from this gun shop. This leads me to believe this problem is from the factory. The M1 was the only gun that did not show this defect.

This damage was not done by the local gun shop due to I watch them cut open the tape on the cardboard box on a new SBE II that contains the new plastic breakdown case. This gun also had the same bare metal showing near the Rod Retaining Cap.

I am posting pictures to try to give you an idea of what I am seeing. Sorry, I have a web cam and this is the best I can do with the web cam. The gun is laying on its side in the soft gun case (not the case that came with the gun) if you are trying to figure out the picture.

Picture 1 is to just give you an overall reference point. The second picture shows the scratch/ding showing the bare metal.

I know the duck hunters would not be bothered by the bare metal, however, I feel NIB guns and certainly four out of five at my gun shop should not be experiencing this problem.

Did my gun dealer just get a bad batch or has anyone else notice this on NIB gun barrels from Benelli?

Benelli1.jpg

Benelli2.jpg

I recently purchased a Sport II that upon inpsection under flourescent lighting, I noticed the blueing was hazy in numerous areas and had spotting in other areas. It appears benelli may have some problems in their barrel bluing/handling processes. I've sent the barrel back to have it reblued, I should get it back by the end of June. I hope it turns out ok, because I really like the way the gun shoots, but for the money it cost, it should also look good.

Originally posted by threeshot:

I noticed that my new in the box SBE II had bare metal showing on the gun barrel dead center right in front of the Rod Retaining Cap that has the swivel for attaching a gun sling.

While I was in my local gun shop on Thursday, I inspected the barrels on two SBE II, a M1 and a M2 shotgun from Benelli.

Three of the four Benelli guns had the exact bare metal showing in the same location. Four out of five if you count my gun that I bought from this gun shop. This leads me to believe this problem is from the factory. The M1 was the only gun that did not show this defect.

This damage was not done by the local gun shop due to I watch them cut open the tape on the cardboard box on a new SBE II that contains the new plastic breakdown case. This gun also had the same bare metal showing near the Rod Retaining Cap.

I am posting pictures to try to give you an idea of what I am seeing. Sorry, I have a web cam and this is the best I can do with the web cam. The gun is laying on its side in the soft gun case (not the case that came with the gun) if you are trying to figure out the picture.

Picture 1 is to just give you an overall reference point. The second picture shows the scratch/ding showing the bare metal.

I know the duck hunters would not be bothered by the bare metal, however, I feel NIB guns and certainly four out of five at my gun shop should not be experiencing this problem.

Did my gun dealer just get a bad batch or has anyone else notice this on NIB gun barrels from Benelli?

Benelli1.jpg

Benelli2.jpg

when I recieved my first brand new company truck (an F-250 with an MSRP @ $34,000 8yrs ago) my boss came up to me and asked if he could use a hammer ... so I went into the rear cab and wrestled up a hammer - being totaly careful of my new baby.

I then walked to the back of the truck and handed the hammer to him.

He smiled and said, "thanx this will only take a second.", then turned to the truck and with a half cocked swing, gave the top of the tail gate a whack.

Which he then looked at me and said..." There!! Now don't worry about it!!". Then threw the hammer in the bed and walked away ............

[ 06-12-2004, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: birddog ]

Birddog

That is a clever story, but I don't see where a work truck someone else paid for relates to a new shotgun. I expect a $1,400 Benelli shotgun fresh from the factory not to have any defects/flaws. I definitly think that having an even-consistent blue job is reasonable expectation. Getting it scratched and dinged while using it is to be expected, but Iit shouldn't come from the factory that way.

Originally posted by threeshot:

Benelli1.jpg

Benelli2.jpg

On June 1, I saw an episode of American Shooter on Benelli. The entire show was dedicated to visiting Benelli in Urbino Italy. Benelli and Smith & Wesson are sponsors of American Shooter.

Some of the interesting things I learned about the Benelli guns are the amount of robotics Benelli uses to build the guns and the computer CAD for designing guns. Although the assembly of the guns are still performed by hand with the help of machines. In other words, the assembly of the guns are not performed entirely by robotics.

As expected, some of the parts are not made by Benelli. To quote American Shooter:

“Benelli also relies on outside suppliers for specialized parts. The polymer molded stock and receiver for the new Nova pump guns comes from a molding supplier and the hammered forged barrels comes from a division of Benelli’s parent company the Beretta Group. But every supplied part is closely inspected for precision and for safety with the barrels Magna-fluxed to reveal any possible weakness in the steel.”
The episode of American Shooter did not explicitly state that all Benelli barrels are made from the Beretta Group.

If the SBEII and M2 barrels are made from the Beretta Group, then based on what I saw at my local gun shop, the barrel ding showing bare metal is either due to the Beretta Group’s manufacture process or poor handling after the barrel is built. If it is not the supplier, then it must be the Benelli factory’s build process that is causing the consistent ding.

The guns from the factory should not come with defects or flaws of this characteristic.

Since we are making car analogies, didn’t the Japanese start beating the American car makers in the 1980’s because the American car makers felt that the quality of their cars were good enough and the Japanese improved the quality of their products?

Let us hope that Benelli does not feel the same way.

Let me be clear about my reason for posting this topic. My intention is not to disparage Benelli. My purpose is to allow other Benelli owners to share their experiences if they have noticed the same issue as I have reported in this post.

This will provide Benelli with evidence of a problem that they can address in order to produce a better product for all of us to enjoy. It appears that Benelli USA Service Manager (Montefeltro) attempts to address issues presented on this forum.

I hope Benelli never loses their customer focus and willingness to improve their product based on our experiences with their product.

Regards, threeshot

Threeshot.....how about sending me a private message with your contact information. I'm presently in Dayton, OH but I will forward your info to my assistant. If you are agreeable, I would like to get your gun shipped to my office. Nothing against your webcam, but those photos look like something from an electron scanning microsope. I would like to examine the barrel and have one of our Stoeger Publications photographers take a few pics. We shouldn't be shipping dinged-up barrels. I've never seen this sort of thing before, so I'd like to nip it in the bud. We'll make this right....I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Customer Service Manager

Benelli USA

Montefeltro,

I will send you an e-mail or private message after work on Monday or Tuesday.

I finally got to shot the SBE II for the first time today. I just completed cleaning the gun and now need to get myself some food and sleep.

Thank you for your assistance!

smile.gif

-threeshot

i put 50 rounds thew it on sunday at the range and it didnt miss fire but the rust along the rib is getting worse and now the bbl seems to like takeing my finger prints more than the local pd. ive been told that i have an acidic personality but i didn't think it was that bad. as for the ruger i shot one a couple of weeks ago with a english stock and i realy liked it its in my price range i think for now im going to give up on the 12 and go to a 20 i realy like my wife's and i think it will make me a better shot. sunday i shot with a guy shooting a .410 with modified tubes and he shot a 23 accualy it was more like a 40 somthing because he was shooting doubles at every station it was realy cool to watch almost every clay was blasted to dust.

got my SBE II on 6/18 and shot it for this first time last night - I LOVE IT!!!!! Anyway, I too noticed the two tiny bare metal spots on the barrel just above the fore end cap.

Anybody figure this out yet?????

Is it marks from where the barrel sat on something while it was being finished - matte finish?????