Layout Boat Project

Webfoot

HOLY CRAP!!! That stuff is sweet. Twice the price of what I was planning on getting. The idea is great, but price vs. practicality....not so sure. I plan on doing my own camo work. I've got some ideas from a few other designs. I'm borderline OCD and a control freak so that should be interesting.... I may end up losing my hair over it...

Yeah, it took two seconds to decide whether to patch it up or replace the board. I'm already worried about it leaking. I'm hoping the epoxy and fiberglass make a very tight seal.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck on his patent. Having gone down that road before he will end up spending a lot of time and money on somthing not really worth persuing. My name is on a few corporate patents and have nothing to show for them but some pride.

Well, I got the transom on this weekend. Still not 100% pleased with it. I just can seem to find any boards worth a damn. So when I had it up on horses the transom fits flush all the way around. Then I lay it on the ground and then on one side, the transom it about 1/8" high and does not sit flush on the ground. Kind of hard to describe but I guess I'll just sand it so that everything is even and epoxy the he!! out of it. But other than that looking good. I got my storage area and dog platform built and in place. Now I just need to sand all the edges, get everything even and do all the other needed prep work before I fiberglass. Oh, and I need it to be around 72 degrees. Its only 102 here today so it might be October before I get a chance to lay the fiberglass. I'll post some more pics up soon.

• 1 month later...

Yeah...I have not even got the thing fiberglassed yet. I'm still doing all the prep work leading up to that, rounding all my edges and making corners so that the fiberglass does not make any 90 degree changes. It took me the better part of the month to get my runners the way I wanted them.

I've got a little over a month before season opens here. I'll post some pics throughout the fiberglassing and painting process. The work I'm doing now is very tideous, time consuming and flat out boring. But very necessary imo.

Going goose hunting this weekend in a very shallow marsh. Wish I had it ready.

Well, I'm just about ready to start the fiberglassing process.

Between it and a crib I'm building I hope I can get it done. Wife is one month out and so is the season!! Whatever should I do!!!???? (build the damn crib if I ever want to go hunting again...)

100_1943.jpg

100_1944.jpg

That is my dog platform. Made it a little larger than I intended. The plans did not call for anything other than just the cockpit. So I made a dog platform and a little storage area by the transom, just large enough for a battery and a blind bag.

I did not want a wet, messy dog inside my comfortable cockpit.

One thought is before you go through all the trouble of adding an epoxy coating to the boat did you consider floating it the way it is to kind of proof the design. Looking at the photos everything looks great, but simetimes when I get close to finishing I feel the need for a test to be sure.

Better hurry up, we are killing all your ducks up north every weekend - not letting too many migrators get by :)

Good point. I thought about that. I thought it would be better to get it on the water once it was sealed. Who knows....

I'm not getting my hopes up this year with the baby due any time. I'll certainly appreciate every chance I get though.

Glad you guys are having a good season so far.

• 1 month later...