Why No M2 Youth Model or Short Stock?

Budge

I am looking for my son's first shotgun. At 6 years old, he has already been my trapper for skeet and sporting clays for 2 years. He loves the sport, and now he wants to participate. He has shown exemplary patience and behavior, or I would not consider starting him this young.

I want to buy him a 20 guage inertia-driven gun. But before anyone comes with other solutions, let me explain why I want this choice. First of all, I will never buy another gas operated gun again. I'm a clean freak with all of my weapons, and those guns are tedious for me. Secondly, there is no argument that one can give that will convince me that any pump or O/U with the same weight and recoil pad will have less recoil than a semi-auto. The inertia drive may be less forgiving than gas, but it's better than the other options. There is something to be said for a pump and young shooter safety. But I can always just give him 1 round at a time until he proves he's responsible enough for 2.

I know they make the Montefeltro in a youth model, but it doesn't have a ComfortTech stock. Why wouldn't Benelli want to offer their most innovative technology to women and young shooters? I would hate to have to buy a full size gun and cut it down.

Why wouldn't Benelli want to offer their most innovative technology to women and young shooters?

I suspect it is mainly financial practicality. Youth models from most manufacturers are very slow selling items. Few gun makers can make everyone happy all of the time.

Benelli does offer youth models of the Monte, Nova, and Super Nova. A youth M2 is not that unreasonable, but I'm not sure most folks would think of spending $1000-$1200 for a youth gun that can be outgrown with relative ease. It would make more sense for Benelli to offer a package deal the allowed the youth to purchase an adult stock at some later point.

Isn't there are super-short pad for the M2?

I've worked in and around guns shops for many years, and I can say that parents buying youth models are some of the most price conscious customers that ever enter a gun shop. The vast majority seem to agonize over buying a gun for their youth. The 870 Express seems to be the favorite of these budget minded shoppers.

I'm sure there are exceptions. You sound like one of them. While it might be nice for Benelli to cater to all exceptions, I would imagine they primary try to fit the needs of the majority of their customers.

I've introduced a number of young new shooters, boys and girls to skeet shooting. My 20 gauge Monty with the 12+1/2 LOP, using cheap Wally World shotshells is all I have ever used. The young kids love it. On a few occasions when I've seen a youngster struggling with his Dad's heavy pump shotgun, I've politely loaned the Dad my little Monty. The smile on their face when they can track the clay pigeon and shoot without getting spun around is priceless. Go with the little 20 gauge Monty. Get him a shooting vest with recoil pad if the recoil is still a problem. By the way, my Monty has never failed to function perfectly, ever :-)

SgtCathy

Benelli does offer youth models of the Monte, Nova, and Super Nova. A youth M2 is not that unreasonable, but I'm not sure most folks would think of spending $1000-$1200 for a youth gun that can be outgrown with relative ease.

I don't see many people outgrowing a youth model gun. I'm about full grown, 5' 10", and my favorite pheasant gun is a youth model 20 gauge 870 with a 21" barrel. I hate what the gun is made of, but it points great and is lightning fast, doesn't kick hardly at all, and makes a great close range duck gun. I get my best clay scores with this gun.

Its my older brother's, he is about the same size as me, and he loves that gun. My sister being smaller also loves the gun cause it fits her great. Even my 6' 3" brother whos prefered weapon is a 10-1/2 lb 10 gauge BPS with a 30" barrel likes this gun. May be a little small for him but he still likes it.

Also, the short stock is great when you are loaded with heavy camo.

I don't see many people outgrowing a youth model gun.

With no minimum age to hunt in Cali (just pass hunter safety), I know lots of kids that have outgrown youth model guns or cut down stocks. I hunt with a guy that has two daughters that hunt. One started when she was six or seven. She now hunts with the youth Monte, but it's looking like she may outgrow that gun as she is heading towards 6' like her mom.

I've seen 40-50 pound kids at hunter safety classes.

Lots of them just sell the youth gun or buy new stocks.

I can see a difference if a kid does not start hunting until they are a bit older.